Fleece tops can kill....

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
OK, so maybe not but as the weather cools off we will be pulling out the sweatshirts and fleece pullovers and they have a feature that needs to be addressed if you conceal carry.

Most of them have a drawstring at the waist.that can get caught on a trigger when reholstering.if you aren't cautious. Reholstering always demands attention to detail but If you have one of these drawstrings you need to pay even more attention.

One option might be to cut the string off completely.

20130922_180025_zps976b266a.jpg

20130922_175924_zps084668d8.jpg

Deathtrap

Semi-Pro/Beep that SH!T
This is the main reason I want a manual saftey on my carry gun. Your probably about 20x more likely to shoot yourself in the leg catching something on the trigger holstering your on gun vs someone else shooting you. All the internal safety's in the world won't help when you Plaxico Burress yourself in the leg.

michaelclm

Banned from the timer
Those drawstrings definitely add another factor to any equation.

Something that bears mentioning, regardless of the reason for having your gun out of your holster: You have ALL DAY to reholster that pistol. The draw? Yeah, you should probably be getting that done most riki tik but stowage should never be done in a hurry, especially if you just got done defending yourself.

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
Also, [as we get into full blown winter] big winter coats can sometimes have these little bungee straps around the waist on the inside of the coat and they can present the same problem.

The real lesson is just be aware of your cover garment and any impediments because they present different issues than just a plain t-shirt in summer does.

CARRY SAFE AND PRACTICE WITH YOUR CARRY GUN

sfran943

Fanatic
Great point about the cords from the outer garments.

I concur with Mr. Ray......in fact in many CCW/self-defense scenarios you may not re-holster at all depending on LE response time to the incident. Here in Kansas City where it will be pretty swift to spots fired call, we teach our clients to put their gun on the ground as they hear the police approaching (provided it is safe to do so.)

Stay safe.

jeffhughes

Well-Known Fanatic
I transition to an LCR in coat pocket carry as the layers get thicker and less flexible. I may carry a bigger gun as a backup, but for fast deployment I want a revo in my outer layer pocket.

With one layer of fleece or sweater, I dispose of the cords and carry OWB strong side with a backup mag or mags support side which is what i prefer...

it's only a few monthes of deep cold that the revo is primary,

michaelclm

Banned from the timer
dennishoddy said:
Good advice.
Absolutely. Set it down and stand on it. It's not going anywhere.

I was thinking about this thread yesterday after another, similar, thing came up: Jackets with two-way zippers.

If you wear a jacket with a two-way zipper (zips up to shut, but has another slider at the bottom so that you can unzip "up") and you appendix carry, that bottom zipper pull can dangle just low enough and in the right spot to foul your reholster. Those zippers were a godsend to climbers so that we could wear our fleece or Gortex shells over our harnesses and still easily access belay/rappel devices, as well as our tie-in knots. Problem was, some folks were putting long zipper pulls on them, and they were getting sucked into figure-8s and tube devices while belaying or on rappel, resulting in stuck climbers who had to self-rescue. For a CC practitioner they can also cause similar malfunctions with decidedly different results.

Anyway, train early and train often.

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
All of this advice is priceless, keep it coming. I agree on re-holstering after an "incident" and that is might be best not to. Wait for instructions from law enforcement

The original thought on this thread is not necessarily RE-holstering but ORIGINAL-holstering. Like in your house when you are "gunning-up" for the day.

The ultimate good advice is to be aware and practice often

glazer1972

Fanatic
I cut the dangling things off almost everything. I wear bdu pants at work and I even pull the bottom pants leg strings out and cut them off as well.

Latest posts