First Timer

slider

Hired Gun
Shot my first steel challenge match today at USSA in rimfire iron sight division and had a blast. This would be a great way to bring new shooters into the sport if you know somebody that might be interested but doesn't have all the equipment to shoot USPSA or IDPA.

dennishoddy

Shot my first steel challenge match today at USSA in rimfire iron sight division and had a blast. This would be a great way to bring new shooters into the sport if you know somebody that might be interested but doesn't have all the equipment to shoot USPSA or IDPA.

Exactly! I always invite new shooters to get started in the Steel Challenge and fun matches. They get an initiation into how an RO runs the stage, gun safety, watching the 180, etc. All of that is the same as they progress into USPSA, or 3 Gun. Glad you had a great time!

Iggie

Well-Known Fanatic
Rimfire steel challenge is how I wanted to introduce my wifey to competition. Just not one close enough to me.

slider

Hired Gun
They have started doing them ( I think) at OKC Gun club which is up by Arcadia if that isn't too far. Their website is www.okcgunclub.org if you want to check into it.

FortyMikeMike

Well-Known Fanatic
My first competition of any kind was a steel challenge at USSA a couple weeks ago. Very easy to get into, I just bought a cheap holster for my glock and an extra mag (3 altogether) and I was good to go.

Will definitely shoot a rimfire division as well as centerfire irons next time, my 10/22 is just sooo much fun. Steel challenge has me wanting more, so run-and-gun here I come!

oklaccer

Well-Known Fanatic
My first time was last September and now I have introduced my 4th newbie in 4 months to steel challenge at Alpha Training Academy. They all had a blast and one has been back 3 times now. And my times are improving. It's win win all the way around.

dennishoddy

Thats what keeps this sport growing.
Folks coming out to shoot, and bringing friends when they find out how fun it is to compete.
Congrats to you for getting them out!

dennishoddy

If you can get a shooting buddy, thats great, but don't let that stop you from going by yourself......
You will have shooting buddy's when you get there..

robkroupa

Well-Known Fanatic
I got my wife to shoot a Steel Challenge match about a month ago and now she's hooked. It's a great low stress way to introduce some to the shooting sports.

FortyMikeMike

Well-Known Fanatic
I'll hopefully be bringing a friend with to the next match. Having a buddy who trash talks you when you goof up can be a great motivator to stay competitive, haha.

11b1776

Fanatic
When is the next one in Tulsa? I would have to buy a holster for my buck mark, do you need extra mags? It would definitely be the cheapest way to shoot!

11b1776

Fanatic
Well according to the posted rule book no holster is required in rimfire, and I seen in another thread you can get by with 3 mags.

ryanncass

Well-Known Fanatic
January 6th will be the next steel challenge at USSA and January 27th at Oil capital. You can get by with 3 there is always someone that will help you load a mag while you shoot.

Latest posts