First timer in CA

squarebale19

Well-Known Fanatic
I have read people saying that the factory extractor won't hold adjustment. I adjusted it to work for now just to verify the extractor was the issue. I plan to use a quality extractor and I will take the time to set the deflection with that part.
Cylinder n slide claims a good extractor should be spring steel to hold, I personally have good luck with Wilson's bulletproof and I do like sti's in my dutyone, dawson precision has a good selection and so does egw or midwest.

Gunflint1

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm new to the world of 1911 building/modifying. I have done AR and Glock builds/mods, but that's obviously not even close to being in the same level. I currently own 2 1911s. The first is a Dan Wesson PM7 45 and I just recently got a Citadel.

The Citadel has been having feeding issues from day one. I know you get what you pay for. It seems it's due to too much extractor tension. I read somewhere someone saying to throw away that extractor and replace it with a good quality part.

Anyway, blah, blah, blah. To get to the point I was thinking about rebuilding the whole gun. Actually changing it over to 10mm. In California we technically can't build 80% handguns. In California we also don't have many options available to us for 10mm guns; pretty much glocks and revolvers. So I figured this would be the next best thing. I have come across people saying they would never build on a RIA frame because they are junk. I'm not looking for match quality results. But my question is, would it be ok to use as a learning platform or should I consider a different route to learn? What do you suggest?

Brad
Personally I wouldn't waste the money on the Citadel, but the Dan Wesson would definitely be worth the upgrades as a finished product. Welcome from Texas.....Vote your tyrants out, and do not relinquish your Rights.

Snowman45

Fanatic
I just saw a video with Ken Hackathorn and Bill Wilson in which Bill said that they make their Bullet-Proof Extractorswith a slight curvature in it before heat treatment. He said the metal will automatically try to return to it's normal state over time, so when they are milled straight they will try to go back to that, even after adjustment and heat treatment. I've always had excellent result from Wilson Bullet Proof parts.

Latest posts