First squib!

Travis Colford

Well-Known Fanatic
So I was at my local indoor range today practicing with my new G34 after just getting it in and some trigger work done to it. I was using some reloads( first dumb ass decision) that I was told are good quality...... ( Bull **** is real) and shot my way through 103 rounds and that is when it happened just 203 total rounds into the gun I pull the trigger and just her a faint pop in round 204. So standard rack and check saw I had a empty casing eject as I racked it. I knew then I had a problem so I dropped the mag and heading over to my smith bud who just finished the trigger work and surprise surprise couldn't see light through the barrel. Over all thankfully we ended up being able to pop the bullet that was just slightly pushed into the barrel out no big deal. Over all it just looked like the loader didn't do any quality control check and sent a cartridge out with no powder in it. Just happy and lucky I was able to realize something was wrong before I tried to just simply tap, rack, and bang it and end my day in a much worse way.

So basically I after this experience think I will end up only feeding my guns manufactured ammo and never trust a reload that isn't from a well reputable company or done by myself if I start to reload.

So with that said anyone have ideas on a good manufactured competition round or a reputable reloading company?

dennishoddy

All I can say, is that there have been squibs from factory rounds.

There are squibs from name brand reloading company's.

Its extremely rare, but it does happen.

As a reloader that has fired very few factory rounds, I'll admit to a couple. Had the radio on, and was jammin' to some tunes. Lost my train of thought, and didn't look into the cases as they went by. The linkage had a spring issue, and when I saw the issue, I had 200 in the hopper. Should have scrapped the whole load, but tried to weigh them to see if any had a major difference. Weeded out a few and thought I was good.

Had two squibs at the next match.

Understand you were shooting somebody else's loads. Just trying to show how that can happen, and the reason a lot of shooters won't shoot a reload they didn't load themselves.

Travis Colford

Well-Known Fanatic
Ya I understand it can happen with any round. Over all I just was happy it didn't go from bad to worse.

So as a re-loader and get a squib mid match do you recommend having some push rods in the bag?

As far as my thinking with factory and commercial re-loaders is that with this person having accidental or not let a squib slip by I question what else might get by.
Where as with a company yes they can happen but from what I have read happen more rarely.

dennishoddy

I keep the handle third of a brass cleaning rod in the range bag. In two years, I've had it used once, and it wasn't for me. RO caught the Phfft, and not the bang.

Travis Colford

Well-Known Fanatic
I'll have to add that to my bag! Ya I was lucky enough to hear the click and thankfully it didn't go more then maybe a half inch in to the barrel.

Tuflehundon

Cyrwus Says I'm Cool
Hasn't happened to me yet, but have seen it happen. At least you were paying enough attention to notice it. I have seen more than 1 person have to be stopped by an RO cause they didn't realize what had just happened.

I didn't hear my squib...or notice at all, I just kept trying to fix the malfunction..thankfully it would not chamber the next round. PAY attention no matter what you're shooting

Travis Colford

Well-Known Fanatic
Matt Rigsby said:
I keep a brass rod in my range bag. Only used it once.

Lesson here is, don't shoot anyone else's reloads and never shoot rounds found on the ground.
Definitely agree with that statement!'

Jason Grant said:
I didn't hear my squib...or notice at all, I just kept trying to fix the malfunction..thankfully it would not chamber the next round. PAY attention no matter what you're shooting
Ya had I been on the clock at a match I think I would of just kept trying to rack a round. SO I am starting to pay a lot more attention after this that is for sure. I just when it happen kept replaying all the horror stories I had heard about squib loads in my mind. My smith friend was like wtf are you freaking out.

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
I go through a checklist with every lever pull when I reload.

Primer.... seat primer
Brass..... load next brass
Powder.... visually check case
Bullet.... set bullet on powdered case
Go........ pull handle
Primer
Brass
Powder
Bullet
Go

Over and over again. It's really simple to do quickly with a progressive.

dennishoddy

Travis Colford said:
See this is why I can't see myself as a re-loader, I get distracted rather easily.
Me as well. No music, no TV, just me and the machine. It the routine you have to get into.

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
dennishoddy said:
Me as well. No music, no TV, just me and the machine. It the routine you have to get into.
I have music going, but every once in awhile I'll notice I'm in the middle of a veggitales song and didn't realize it was playing because I'm in the reloading rhythm.

Travis Colford

Well-Known Fanatic
Matt Rigsby said:
I have music going, but every once in awhile I'll notice I'm in the middle of a veggitales song and didn't realize it was playing because I'm in the reloading rhythm.
That is my jam right there!

Ya I guess I'll have to start looking into reloading but probably keep it to a single stage press so I can load one stage at a time to start.

You'll hate that pretty soon if you shoot much imo..progressive and patience will get where ya want to be. There is a. Dillion 550 on boomer shooter rt now for sale

Travis Colford

Well-Known Fanatic
Jason Grant said:
You'll hate that pretty soon if you shoot much imo..progressive and patience will get where ya want to be. There is a. Dillion 550 on boomer shooter rt now for sale
Ya I saw that Dillion for sale but no funds to cover it or the reloading process right now. But will keep that in mind when/ if I ever get into the reloading game.

shootingbuff

Well-Known Fanatic
Travis Colford said:
See this is why I can't see myself as a re-loader, I get distracted rather easily.
You can still reload. Reload using a loading block and either a single stage press or a progressive one stage at a time until you learn and get comfortable. Once you get comfortable and know you need to double check if powder dropped into the case and it is at he app level then move on to a progressive/semi-progressive press. Besides if you want to you will.

Lastly if you do get distracted stop. Double check everything. Helps if you empty your bin were completed rounds go often. Worse than a squib is do not have any air circulating when setting and weighing charges.

Now reload. You wont reload to save money but to shoot more.

Latest posts