First Match Using Stoeger 3K 3-Gun

Barbarians Live

Active Fanatic
For anyone interested in how the Stoeger 3K 3-Gun runs. I bought the 3K 3-Gun as a backup shotgun for two-gun and three-gun. The only things I did to it was a quick cleaning and adding a Nordic extension (running 10 + 1).

We had a two-gun match today (brutally hot in the Midwest today). We had four stages (mixed shotgun and pistol). There were a minimum of 11 shotgun targets on three stages and one stage with 13 shotgun targets. There were varied steel plates, poppers (various sizes), clays, and clays thrown by activator (targets at various distances and positions and included lots of movement).

I almost ran a clean match on the shotgun targets (hit 45 of 46 targets first shot, had one quick makeup shot on one). If it was a shotgun only match I would have won. No hiccups at all (running Estate and Fiocchi 3 dram 12G 7.5 and 8 shot). I did shoot a box of AAs (3 dram) through it a couple of days prior to the match. Not one issue. I did have a couple of loading oopses (need to practice loading more, but who doesn't). One of my Taccom shell caddies was not canted and I dropped a shell pulling them out on one stage (will definitely work on that). I am only deuce loading (not up to you "quadders" standard yet).

I also shot my STI Marauder for its second match today. Ran perfect. Had one weak hand shot only miss on paper, but mostly did well. Probably get third or fourth in the match (out of 25). On the last stage I was tired, hot, and thirsty and I shot a pistol target before an activator per stage design and got dinged as well as not shooting a small popper (hidden by a larger popper that I hit, but it fell slowly and I forgot it was there). Funny how brains tend to fart when you are hot and tired.

For the money the Stoeger 3K 3-Gun is a good shotgun. Its loading port could be worked on a bit and I may put a Benelli extractor and spring in it, but I'm happy with it.

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
Nice report. I say shoot both until something happens to suggest a change. A lot of people change stuff because the internet tells them they need to. Shoot what works until it doesn't

posted via Tapatalk

Adam78

Active Fanatic
Barbarians Live said:
For anyone interested in how the Stoeger 3K 3-Gun runs. I bought the 3K 3-Gun as a backup shotgun for two-gun and three-gun. The only things I did to it was a quick cleaning and adding a Nordic extension (running 10 + 1).

We had a two-gun match today (brutally hot in the Midwest today). We had four stages (mixed shotgun and pistol). There were a minimum of 11 shotgun targets on three stages and one stage with 13 shotgun targets. There were varied steel plates, poppers (various sizes), clays, and clays thrown by activator (targets at various distances and positions and included lots of movement).

I almost ran a clean match on the shotgun targets (hit 45 of 46 targets first shot, had one quick makeup shot on one). If it was a shotgun only match I would have won. No hiccups at all (running Estate and Fiocchi 3 dram 12G 7.5 and 8 shot). I did shoot a box of AAs (3 dram) through it a couple of days prior to the match. Not one issue. I did have a couple of loading oopses (need to practice loading more, but who doesn't). One of my Taccom shell caddies was not canted and I dropped a shell pulling them out on one stage (will definitely work on that). I am only deuce loading (not up to you "quadders" standard yet).

I also shot my STI Marauder for its second match today. Ran perfect. Had one weak hand shot only miss on paper, but mostly did well. Probably get third or fourth in the match (out of 25). On the last stage I was tired, hot, and thirsty and I shot a pistol target before an activator per stage design and got dinged as well as not shooting a small popper (hidden by a larger popper that I hit, but it fell slowly and I forgot it was there). Funny how brains tend to fart when you are hot and tired.

For the money the Stoeger 3K 3-Gun is a good shotgun. Its loading port could be worked on a bit and I may put a Benelli extractor and spring in it, but I'm happy with it.
Definitely tell us more about the Marauder as you get used to it. That one is on my list.

Barbarians Live

Active Fanatic
Will do. So far I really like the Marauder. I put a Dawson extended mag release on it and am running MBX 140mm mags (can't get STI mags right now--on perennial backorder). I've been shooting various live fire practice drills with it and one of those is a 21' "dot drill" using an NRA target with 12 1" dots. My goal with the dot drill is to put a shot within 2" of the center of each dot, with no more than one second between shots, with 12/12 as passing (otherwise fail). My last four dot drills were all passing. I keep it clean and lubricated and it runs well (no malfunctions in last two matches).

I'm actually going to shoot it in USPSA Limited Minor to set a tough goal of getting better. I have no regrets spending the money for it so far.

Latest posts