First Job?

Status
Not open for further replies.

White Kid

The American Reaper
I'm wondering where a decent job would be at in McAlester.
I've already applied for Country Mart but I'm still looking for options for just in case.
I really don't care for the fast food type of jobs.
CVS Is out of the question, they only have a job for a pharmacist and I'm not able to do that.
Walgreens isn't making any sense to me really, I don't know what a Customer Service Associate is.
So if anyone knows of any decent jobs in McAlester, PLEASE let me know!

Josh Beauchamp

Well-Known Fanatic
Zander you should check and see if there are any jobs there at the Ammo Plant. Avoid the prison though. Working corrections is damn dangerous work.

White Kid

The American Reaper
Josh Beauchamp said:
Zander you should check and see if there are any jobs there at the Ammo Plant. Avoid the prison though. Working corrections is damn dangerous work.
I'm not sure though I'm old enough to work at the Ammo plant, don't you gotta be 18 or older?

Dustin Cantrell

Well-Known Fanatic
Whatever job you get, listen, learn and be great at it. Might just be a high school job for now, but you never know what you could learn that could turn into a career. Whether it's sacking groceries, stocking shelves or flipping burgers, be the best at it.

bsdubois00

Head Honcho Emeritus
Don't take this the wrong way but I'm a little confused by this statement "Walgreens isn't making any sense to me really, I don't know what a Customer Service Associate is." - does this mean you are too lazy to ask someone what the job entails? Have you tried that? So you are giving up on a job because the description is confusing?

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
My first job was at a Taco Bell. I made the best of it and had a good time, even a great time. Then one day, about 18 months in, I realized something interesting about the intercom and ended up getting fired for some extremely, extremely flagrant violations of Federal Communications Commission rules that bordered on actual crimes, and which resulted in a dangerous fight between an employee at a another store and an off-duty police officer. You see, you get out what you put into it, son. Now go make some memories, and a Spicy Chicken sandwich.

mikey80

Negative Approach
When you're a teenager with no experience, you can't afford to be choosy. You need experience doing anything. People like to hire people who are working. I've worked since I was twelve. First legitimate gig was night grill at McDonalds. My friends and I should have went to jail for some of the things we did. I still laugh about it to this day!!

Do what Mitch and everyone else has said. You're not gonna know if you like something until you try it first hand. Stop being shy and get your ass out there and work. It will get you farther than posting on here asking these jackasses what you should do with your life . Go get a job! Go procreate with the girls at your job!!

mikey80

Negative Approach
Jeff said:
A guy with a beater pickup, lawnmower and rake can make 20k a year....
Widow washing, yard work, baby sitting, dog walking, stable work, nuclear gynecologist, Indian scout....
I did all these things growing up! Then I joined the Army at 19 and served as a door gunner on the space shuttle.

The Antichrome

Get any job that'll hire you. Fast food is a great starting point for a teenager, especially if you're a high schooler.
As soon as you get that job, work at it so hard that they want to promote you before someone else hires you.
And then start looking for the better job...if you do this, the better job will come looking for you.
Oh, and get good grades.

I dont hire kids with bad grades, and I dont hire kids that havent had a crappy job before.
Having had a crappy job makes a good job seem awesome.

BTW, "customer service associate" is what we used to call a 'clerk'. You'll start with cleaning the toilets and work up to running the register.

Jefpainthorse

Fill in the Blank
Zander Pharr said:
I'm wondering where a decent job would be at in McAlester.
I've already applied for Country Mart but I'm still looking for options for just in case.
I really don't care for the fast food type of jobs.
CVS Is out of the question, they only have a job for a pharmacist and I'm not able to do that.
Walgreens isn't making any sense to me really, I don't know what a Customer Service Associate is.
So if anyone knows of any decent jobs in McAlester, PLEASE let me know!
I read once (years ago... late 80's) that at that time something like 35% of Americans had has a gig at McDonalds sometime during their early working life. It's not what anybody "wants" to do forever... but it gets you a history.

Don't forget- school is your "other job". Sure, a lot of useless information comes your way. But the game it teaches is how to remember and sort information and meet dead lines and schedules. Lot's of average people learn enough "soft skill's" during the educational process and go on to excel later on in life. Many of these folks are the people who get branded as "suck asses" or golden boys in school. Beware of the quiet geek in school who makes steady B's--- your probably gonna end up working for him before it's over.

UCO Shooter

Well-Known Fanatic
man wait start in a restaurant hosting or something like that, and when you turn 18 start waiting tables. That is what I do, currently at chili's in OKC, and I make enough to support shooting and other things in life while going to college! Great easy money

Jefpainthorse

Fill in the Blank
Zander... my boy is a lawyer today. His first few jobs involved hay, horseshit and t-posts. He worked for Target a while too... stocking shelfs and mopping floors.

Broaden you horizons... Brent was a jock... and ended up in college on a theater arts scholarship. His Junior year, his debate coach "told him" he was taking a part in a play.

He ended up with the lead in a couple of things they did his senior year... and ended up going to college on a pretty good scholarship. At 27, with a Law Degree he's doing the OCS/National Guard program and should have a commision next August.

You don't see the big picture yet. With the right direction you may not "have it all", but you can still get a big chunk of it.

Glockman85

Well-Known Fanatic
Before you even think about getting a job do this...walk into your teachers class that you have an "F" in and find out everything you can do to raise it to at least a "C". Then work your ass off doing everything you can to accomplish it. Start over fresh making school your #1 priority not what damn gun you should carry! From then on work your ass off and choose your friends wisely. Stay away from partying as you will have plenty of time for that when you get your **** straight. Now find yourself a part time job (not full time) remember school is first, then work. Go to COLLEGE! And lastly don't be so sure that you have to join the military. Not that there is a single thing wrong with it but you never know you may be a damn neuro surgeon for all you know. Take this advice along with everyone else's and run with it! Good luck!

White Kid

The American Reaper
Thanks everyone.
I am though trying my hardest to get my F's up to at the least C's, it's hard as all get out since I have 3 of 'em.....
One other reason though for the job is to get a car..... my parents are procrastinating on getting me a car when they should've done it 4 months ago...... plus should've gotten my permit 9 to 10 months ago.....
So I'll probably end up buying the car myself.
I might be able to get a job at Country Mart, some people there say they ought to have more baggers and stockers.
I am trying to work my ass off, I mean, you only live one and not fir that long so I gotta do all I can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts