First 45 acp load

Cadoll

Well-Known Fanatic
I am currently building my loading table and will soon start to load my first 45 ammo. I would like to load something that burnz clean and will give me some easy but accurate groups. I shoot a Kimber raptor11 3in. Barrell. I need info on where to buy components. Fmj. Powder and primers. Anybody recommend a recipe that will do what i described? Thanks
Craig

bboswell

Well-Known Fanatic
Montana Gold Bullets are the "Gold" Standard for competition shooting. You can buy directly from the manufacturer.

Black Bullets International sell moly coated, used by many practical shooting competitors who perhaps don't want to shoot a lead cast bullet, but don't want to pay for a FMJ either.

I have had excellent results with the BBI 230gr bullet, 5.5gr Hodgdon Universal, mixed brass and both CCI and Federal primers.

I have purchased powder and primers from Sportsworld and Dongs in Tulsa, both of which seem to lack much customer service effort. Dong's has a broad selection. Bullets from the manufacturer. Powder Valley is mentioned often, and sounds like a quality supplier worth checking out. Best of Luck.

dennishoddy

Definitly check out Powder Valley. I've been in their warehouse, they have an amazing inventory, and keep their website updated with current supplies.

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
H&H has a full complement of reloading supplies. The prices aren't the cheapest, but it's here in the city if you need to get something quickly. I often get primers there, and powder, sometimes other stuff if I just need to hurry up and punch out some rounds.

Biggs

GunZoo
When I started loading 45 I used Accurate #2. It performed consistently (according to chrony) but it was filthy. I switched to Bullseye a couple thousand rounds ago and it has been a much better experience. It's just as consistent and burns clean relative to the Accurate #2. Bullseye is much hotter. My load with 5.5 gns of #2 was as fast as only 4.8 gns of Bullseye.

I've bought nearly all of my powder from Powder Valley. For primers, try to find a local place to buy them. The Haz-Mat fee is a killer. For FMJ bullets I use Precision Delta (http://www.precisiondelta.com/) and for LRN I use Unique Precision (http://www.uniqueprecisionbullets.com/45.htm). With all that precision you'd think I'd shoot a little better (insert pity laugh here).

shootingbuff

Well-Known Fanatic
Many powders work well in the 45acp. Some of the softer loads are VV320, WST, Clays (I use for SG but not pistol) and Bullseye, of course you could double/triple charge with these faster powders. HP38/231 are well liked by many. AA5, Titegroup, Unique etc. Almost anything will work.
Primers I run Fed. I like 230 FMJFP in jacketed and 230 RN in cast. Many like the 200 gr swc. I use WST because I have for a while. When I run out I will try VV320 because I use it in other calibers.
I order through Powder Valley as well.

Latest posts