Firearm Laws in South Africa

pdh

Well-Known Fanatic
Been meaning to do this for a while

South Africa do not have anything in the constitution like the 2nd Amendment in the USA.

A Firearms Act was instituted in 2004 and was loosely based on the Canadian laws and gun registry.

All firearms must either be on your person or in your safe.

Firearms can only be transported by the license holder or dealer and not by anyone else

There is no concealed carry permit required and the only thing you need is your firearm license

There is no open carry by civilians in South Africa

There are no limits on magazine capacity and silencers and suppressors are legal and not regulated

There are no restrictions on barrel length for any firearm

Laws are for all of South Africa as we dont have different states, only provinces that all fall under the same laws

There is a Central Firearms Registry that all applications are sent to and everyone applies through the local police station.

Every firearm in RSA must be on the firearm registry and if you want a firearm it must be licensed in your name, if a new person wants to buy the gun, he must apply for it using the normal process

There are 3 steps that you must follow to get a firearm license:

1) Proficiency certificate

This involves taking both a written and practical test for i) the firearm laws of RSA ii) Handgun iii) Shotgun iv) Rifle v) Self Loading Rifle

You can choose to do only one or all 4 firearm sections, the law is compulsory

Once you have this certificate it lasts forever and so you only need to do it once

2) Competency certificate

This involves applying at the local police station with your documents, proficiency certificate and fingerprints.

It is basically a check to see if you have a criminal record, are mentally stable and have the means to store a firearm at your premises.

They will phone your relatives etc

This process usually takes 2 months

Competency applications need to be renewed every 10 years

3) Firearms License application

Every firearm has its own application that must be sent to the CFR (central firearms registry)

The application includes a big form with all details of firearm and where it comes from and where it is currently being stored

You must submit a motivation on why you need (not want) the firearm and provide documentation to support the information

This would be either for self defense, sports shooting, hunting or collecting

You generally have to belong to an association in order to license your firearms but this is not necessary for all situations.

These take about 1-2 months

We have different sections you can apply in for a firearm and are valid for a certain number of years

Self loading rifles and shotguns (AR15s, AK47's, Semi shotguns) are sort of restricted where you need to belong to an association and become a dedicated person in that association (usually a certain number of shoots a year) and the association will supply you with supporting documentation for that firearm

That's about it for now

Rockon71385

Founding Member
pdh said:
You must submit a motivation on why you need (not want) the firearm and provide documentation to support the information
I'm not trying to speak negatively of your country and I hope this doesn't offend you, but I think this video sums up how most American gun owners would feel about that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAWr1Oh2ERc

I like the part about suppressors though. It sounds like getting a gun in South Africa is a lot like getting a suppressor in the US.

Thanks for the informative post. I hope you can come over and shoot with us someday! :drinks:

clarkbe9980

Well-Known Fanatic
I went on a hunting trip to South Africa with Kolobe Safaris in October and it was a pain getting my bolt gun in. It was definitely a lot ddifferent over there but I had so much fun. Can't wait to go back it was the coolest thing I've ever done!

dennishoddy

clarkbe9980 said:
I went on a hunting trip to South Africa with Kolobe Safaris in October and it was a pain getting my bolt gun in. It was definitely a lot ddifferent over there but I had so much fun. Can't wait to go back it was the coolest thing I've ever done!

Its on my short list of things to do before I die. My wife is not in agreement, but I'm working on it.

pdh

Well-Known Fanatic
Robbie said:
I'm not trying to speak negatively of your country and I hope this doesn't offend you, but I think this video sums up how most American gun owners would feel about that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAWr1Oh2ERc

I like the part about suppressors though. It sounds like getting a gun in South Africa is a lot like getting a suppressor in the US.

Thanks for the informative post. I hope you can come over and shoot with us someday! :drinks:
No offence taken

It is I think, a lot of paperwork and bureaucracy

That is the plan, 3 Gun Nation is calling

pdh

Well-Known Fanatic
clarkbe9980 said:
dennishoddy said:
Its on my short list of things to do before I die. My wife is not in agreement, but I'm working on it.
It depends who you get at the border and at the airport, sometimes people know what they are doing, sometimes not

We are extremely lucky in RSA as there is such a range of activities to do, all within 1-2 hrs of most major cities

Latest posts