RIA FINALLY - I went to the range with my Rock Island Armory 1911 .45 ACP!

ButchA

Well-Known Fanatic
Good Lord... I feel so ashamed. :(

I know I haven't been to the range in a while, and as seen in my target - it seriously shows.
Man, I was all over the place on this particular target. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, you know? :(

Attachments

• 25ft.45ACP.jpg
    25ft.45ACP.jpg
    366.7 KB · Views: 33

ButchA

Well-Known Fanatic
I looked back through my files and notes and things. The last time I was at the range was Feb 2, 2019. --- 8 MONTHS AGO!!!
:eek:
:redface:

The good thing is that now my RIA has now hit the 1000 round mark!!!
:D
:D

In case anyone wants the target that I used, feel free to click on it, right click on it, save it, download it, print it out on computer paper....

Handgun.Target.jpg

fieldgrade

Well-Known Fanatic
I ran my RIA 9mm Ultra in a match yesterday, and last weekend's match, with a brief range session in between. On the last couple of stages it wasn't going fully into battery after slidelock reloads yesterday without bumping the back of the slide with the heel of my support hand.

Considering it only has 500 rounds through it, and I hadn't lubed it since before last weekends match I am plenty well pleased. I put a little lube on the barrel hood late in the match yesterday and no more drama.

I am pleased with the gun considering it's the cheapest 1911 I've owned and runs as well or better than two Colts and a Wesson Valor I sold.

Last edited:

Mikey

Fanatic
Buch my targets from my 1911 RIA 45 GI look just like that at 25 yards from a rest. Any thing beyond 10 yards and the RIA won't grope. I can shoot my SA off the same rest as the RIA with same bullets and it will give a 2" grope sometimes 1 1/2". Same with my Colt 1911 1 1/2" all are .45's. I am going to work on that RIA to see what is wrong with it.

fflincher

Active Fanatic
Thank you for the targets. Nicer than a plate of cookies.

Shoot that thing a bit to see if it or you will settle down and give tighter groups. Then we'll trouble shoot.

Doesn't sound like there are any functioning issues.

fieldgrade

Well-Known Fanatic
I could hit a steel plate 12"x18" (or something like that) at 100 yards with my RIA 9mm one day (maybe one shot out of 4-5 shots), then the next day I hit it once in three magazines.

Barrel, or hangover, and I had one heck of a hangover.

I'm going with hangover.

41 Charlie

Well-Known Fanatic
Hey, I think that's great Butch! I'm afraid I'd loose my mind if I hadn't shot in seven months. I feel pretty fortunate to hang with a good group of active shooters. We meet every Saturday morning and really enjoy ourselves! I have a RIA chambered in 38 Super. It's a great gun that never malfunctions. It's very reliable, but has the Mil-Spec sights (hump & bump). It's certainly challenging for me to get good groups with it. But, I sure enjoy it. Great shooting, and try and treat yourself a little more often!

ButchA

Well-Known Fanatic
Thanks, everyone... I am going out again to the range and relax and stay focused better. I know that I will NOT be using WWB ammo anymore, as I discovered that the stuff, is currently extremely foul and nasty!!! My RIA had no problems with the 50 round box, but you could tell, by the end of the round (if it had a voice) it would be complaining about dirty, filthy, ammo!

fieldgrade

Well-Known Fanatic
Thanks, everyone... I am going out again to the range and relax and stay focused better. I know that I will NOT be using WWB ammo anymore, as I discovered that the stuff, is currently extremely foul and nasty!!! My RIA had no problems with the 50 round box, but you could tell, by the end of the round (if it had a voice) it would be complaining about dirty, filthy, ammo!
It should run okay with whatever you want to run in it. I have 400-500 rounds of Blazer through mine, and it's filthy, but ran fine today at the match as long as I keep it lubed up good before hand. I might actually clean it this week. I don't usually run 'em that long between cleanings but a decided to see if it would impact anything and it hasn't.