finally a thread not about an AR. My new build

pyplynr

Well-Known Fanatic
Well here it is! Started this project on April 4th and now it's pretty much finished. Installed and headspaced the barrel today and now all that is left is paint and still waiting on the muzzle brake. Need some ideas on colors and what pattern camo to Duracoat it all in.

Here's the spec sheet

Savage 110 long action
Shilen Select Stainless Match bull barrel 28" long w/ 1/8 twist, chambered in .284 Win, threaded for brake and suppressor
NSS competition recoil lug
XLR Evolution Chassis w/folding tactical buttstock and DBM for AICS mags
Timney trigger set at 2.5lbs
Badger bolt knob conversion done by me
Atlas V8.1 bipod
EGW 20 MOA base
Seekins extra high 30mm rings
Nighforce NXS 5.5-22x50 ZS/HS with NPR-1 reticle

Muzzle brake that isn't here yet is a Center Shot Rifles pinch collar style 3 port Muscle Brake

284-1.jpg

Ksmirk

Well-Known Fanatic
Did Jim help you out on the break? he's a pretty good guy and those breaks are the ****! pricey but with a 284 Win dude that thing isn't going to hardly move. I'm guessing with the 28" tube your going to push the 180's? I'm not knockin' ya but why did you go with the 1-8 twist? just curious.

I love my 284 granted I set it up for a LR hunting rifle and for these Okie deer it's a bit much especially that 162 A-Max does a really bad thing to edible meat inside 300 yards for about a 10" radius from POI but dude it drops em' HARD!

Good luck to ya oh just because see if you can find some load data for Hybrid100V never could get the RL17 to shoot well and might look at turning the necks as they are not all that concentric I have found and thick. Later,

Kirk

pyplynr

Well-Known Fanatic
I called Jim and he told me to call Benchmark Barrels b/c they had some of the newest pinch collar style ones in stock. Not bad on price from Benchmark...$185 opened up for a 7mm bullet and shipped. i have a mix of the 175smk, 162 Amax and some 180 Berger Hybrids I'm going to try out. On the twist, It's what Jim at Northland had in stock. It will be used for steel targets for about 90% of the time and the other 10% will be for hogs on my cousins place. I'll be mainly using H4831sc. I'll look into turning the necks. I've heard that most people have to when using Win brass.

Ksmirk

Well-Known Fanatic
Hey Adam you need to try out this one day (see picture) it's a 7WSM that Jim and some other helped me with, put it together at my buddies house since he has the lathe and other goodies. It's kinda boring until you get over 400 yards :) Jim made the muscle break mainly for the pistol shooters out there with the first baffle at 90 deg so you don't catch a blast to the face but dude your buddy to your right or left will not like you much ;D

We need to get together and drink a beer or smoke a cigar and talk LR goodies one of these days and I'll let ya touch off the cannon, warning thought it's like a Lays potato chip, ya can't just shoot once LOL

011-2.jpg

I've got some 284 Win rounds that are working very well for me also I could let you try, Oh did you throat the chamber deeper? what is you COL for the A-Maxes? if memory serves I think I'm at 3.100" and if you play your cards right you'll make your buddies with 7RM upset cause your beating them in the velocity with the little 284 hehehe Later,

Kirk

pyplynr

Well-Known Fanatic
Those brakes work awesome. I watched some of the videos on Jim's website and the recoil looked like they were shooting a .45 auto, but it was a 338WSM :) I actually had to send the barrel back to Shilen to have the throat shortened. It was WAY long. With a 175smk at an oal of 3.1" it had a .238" jump to the lands and grooves. They shaved a bit off the back of the barrel and rethroated it to have a .015" jump with the same oal. I shoot most weekends here on my range. Just give me a few days notice of when you want to come up and shoot. And you can shoot that hand cannon from 1000.

dennishoddy

I'm speechless. That is so awesome. We aregoing to put in a 200-300 yd range at Ponca in the near future. I'm Lovin the long range.

Mitch Rapp

Well-Known Fanatic
Man I miss my long range sticks! My first bolt gun was a Savage 110fp Tactical in 300 win mag. Bull barrel helped with recoil and just made that gun a fun ride. Right now my only long range gun is a 1903A4 clone. Really wanting to build a 30-06 to reach out with. Thanks for sharing, and let us know how she shoots!

As far as camo goes, I really like multi cam.

Ksmirk

Well-Known Fanatic
Adam I may just take you up on that but no laughing unless fingers are pointing at someone LMAO that little handcannon has about 2" rearward recoil if you hold it right if you don't hold it right then well it's touch of a hand full :) 1K would be awesome! furthest I've rang steel is 400 lately! I've been saving pennies to head down to Bobby's world since he has out to 1K but 2 1/2 hour drive is not a great trip and it's always hotter down that way.

I'll have to give you a shout one weekend I have free, oh I bring beer and cigars unless told not too ;D Later,

Kirk

pyplynr

Well-Known Fanatic
Sounds good. Maybe by then I'll have my brake installed and have it all painted up.

pyplynr

Well-Known Fanatic
Got my brake in and got It all Duracoated up! Final product.

DSCN0039.jpg

dennishoddy

I was one stoke away from posting my opinon of the finished product, and decided to look at your pic one more time, and study it.

First post was don't like, but after a study, I've warmed up a LOT! :D

I've always been the one to do something different, and you have done it! Congrats on a great combo of fashion and functionality. :D

BTW, is your wife like mine, and wondering why in the heck I'm taking pics of my guns? :D

Ksmirk

Well-Known Fanatic
So Adam have you got a chance to try out that break yet? the rifle looks awesome! here in the next couple of weeks were gonna have to hook up while it's still cool and the wind is not so bad. Later,

Kirk

pyplynr

Well-Known Fanatic
Nope, just got it in today and got it coated after work. Just let me know when

Latest posts