Fiber optic front sight

Ksmirk

Well-Known Fanatic
Folks I think I have a problem! I put new sights on my G24 and went with a fiber optic Dawson up front and some reason started shooting high. When I shoot with the fella's down in Ada last weekend I caught myself several times dropping the rear of the pistol and just focusing on the front sight and I would hit high.

I have been shooting black front and rear sight for lets just say a very long time! do you think I should just call Dawson and have them send me a solid black front? 3 matches so far with the new sight and 80% of my shots have been high! do you think it's just I focus on that cool little red dot or should I try to re-learn and just shoot the thing until I figure it out? Later,

Kirk

backer

Well-Known Fanatic
Sounds like your are focusing on that glowing red light bulb rather than the top of your front sight.

About two hours into AP1 last summer i finally realized what it meant to use the front sight and see the horizontal serrations before breaking a shot. I was just throwing up the red light bulb and pulling the trigger, and i always was frustrated when i had mikes and crappy hits in competition or practice.

Teaching my eyes to snap back and forth between target and front sight is one of the main things that i will be working on this year. No more shots in the dark or spray and pray for me. Calling your shots might feel slow, but you will have better times and scores when your not wasting time missing.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Just train yourself to use the fiber dot to pick up the sights them go to a sharp front sight focus and see those serrations every shot. Or at least every shot you needs to see a good sight picture. If its just hoser stuff slap that for in target a squeeze.

Sounds like your are focusing on that glowing red light bulb rather than the top of your front sight.

About two hours into AP1 last summer i finally realized what it meant to use the front sight and see the horizontal serrations before breaking a shot. I was just throwing up the red light bulb and pulling the trigger, and i always was frustrated when i had mikes and crappy hits in competition or practice.

Teaching my eyes to snap back and forth between target and front sight is one of the main things that i will be working on this year. No more shots in the dark or spray and pray for me. Calling your shots might feel slow, but you will have better times and scores when your not wasting time missing.

WORD!

Ksmirk

Well-Known Fanatic
Damn-it I'm too old to learn new tricks LOL I can either spend weeks if I'm lucky learning this new sight or just spend $25 and get a black sight for the front, so the question is this fiber optic sight worth learning over or just go back to what I know?

Go back with a black front the mind kicks back into shoot mode focus on black front sight and hit pretty close to where I'm aiming.

Stay with the fiber optic and learn to see the red ball, focus on target, re focus on red ball see serations and pull trigger.

I think being I'm simple just go with a black front sound about right? Later,

Kirk

Browtine

Well-Known Fanatic
Have you zeroed it off a rest? If its high off the rest, you probably just need a taller front sight. . Dawson offers a bunch of different heights.

http://www.dawsonprecision.com/CategoryProductList.jsp?cat=SIGHTS+FRONT

Deathtrap

Semi-Pro/Beep that SH!T
I think your making this harder than it should be. All the fiber optic is for is to draw your eyes to the front sight..... That's it. Once you have your front sight found get the same sight picture you would with a black front and you should get the same result. The fiber optics only purpose is to get your eyes to the front sight faster

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Have you zeroed it off a rest? If its high off the rest, you probably just need a taller front sight. . Dawson offers a bunch of different heights.

http://www.dawsonprecision.com/CategoryProductList.jsp?cat=SIGHTS+FRONT

Good call. That is a problem for some glocks for sure.

Ksmirk

Well-Known Fanatic
J.P. I'm pretty sure they all work the same.

Brow, yes it was zeroed of a rest

Wall, I like your thinking!

Jake, it's a mental thing I know

It's new and I need to get some more time behind the thing, I need to slow my ass down and re-learn and work on my aiming that is a given I'm just used to black sights. Back in the day they didn't have these hi-tech fiber glow stick thinggies and we only had 3 TV stations and a 3 mile walk to school up-hill both ways and I lived in town! we were all happy with the simple things in life as it was easier since we didn't have choices ROTFLMAO Later,

Kirk

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
I saw a very good (read master class) revo shooter at Area 4 in a safe area blacking his plain black sights out with a sharpie to make them blacker. He wasn't running no stinking F.O.

shootingbuff

Well-Known Fanatic
I saw a very good (read master class) revo shooter at Area 4 in a safe area blacking his plain black sights out with a sharpie to make them blacker. He wasn't running no stinking F.O.
Might have also been the same as smoking the sights to cut down glare. dunno. I got my first F.O for Christmas and havent shot them yet. Have shot others. Seem to work as stated to draw your eye. The longer bbls of the P/Ts and Long-slides (17L / 24s normally require a change of front sight if you believe what you read from Dawson/Warren sights. I spoke to a Dawson rep and they told me the same thing.
Best in getting it figured out but before I spent money I would use the sharpie idea and see how it goes. Maybe mark part of the fiber rod so its not as bright?
Anyway best of luck getting it figured out.

Ksmirk

Well-Known Fanatic
I could be very easy if my deep pockets were not full of lint! there's too much lint to let the money flow into them LOL

I hope I can get out of work a touch early so it's still light one evening before this weekend so I can double check my zero, get the sharpie after a little red dot and get that 625 Jesse was so nice to offer on the loaner program out to shoot, I've been stupid crazy busy for some reason. Later,

Kirk

Latest posts