Fiber Front Sights How Often Do They Break?

Fred_G

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
At the Nighthawk Tour, I lost my fiber front sight with the first mag I shot. Mr. Bender offered some great advice, just look for the target color, and shoot. LOL

But, this is the 3rd time in the last year or so this gun (SA RO) has lost the front fiber. I rarely carry the gun, just mainly a range gun. My EDC has a fiber front sight, and gets a lot more abuse. Any thoughts on why this gun goes through fiber so fast?

I have plenty of fiber, I might remove the current fiber and see if there is anything in the channel that might be breaking them.

azpoolguy

Well-Known Fanatic
My current fiber has 2k rounds and many more thousand of dry fires and draws from a kydex holster.

Fred_G

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
This is why I wonder. I use leather for carry and range/practice. I think I will pull the current fiber insert out, and see if there is a burr or anything visible. If I see anything, will post up a few pics.

boatdoc

Well-Known Fanatic
have had a few leave the guns. now have rolls of fiber to replace these scoundrels

Bender

Well-Known Fanatic
Great link PoolGuy

Fred'

Would suspect the filaments are a bit loose or as you suspect, there may be a burr

LPRoad

Active Fanatic
The one that came on my PM38 broke after about 600 rounds. The replacement has lasted twice that long. I suspect the original may not have been snugged down adequately.

Fred_G

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
I will take it off, check for any burrs, and try that method AZP, Thanks.

OldGunner_43

Well-Known Fanatic
Fiber optic replacement rods come in several different lengths and diameters. For example, my Ed Brown uses rods with a 0.060 diameter and my Wilson Combat uses rods with a 0.0585 diameter. Close, but not exactly the same. I'm still researching other manufacturer's specs for their fiber optic sight rods. STI is my next objective.

Fred_G

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
I found some on the ebay, 1.5mm pretty close to .0585". I ordered a few flavors to try. Never saw one with a blue rod...

No visible burrs on the sight, I could not do it as neatly as in the video, but it is in with no movement.