Federal Judges rules interstate handgun law unconstitutional

poopgiggle

B Class Nobody
sidewi said:
It never made sense that you could buy a shotgun or rifle in another state, but not a handgun.
I think the rationale is that lots of states have tighter restrictions on handguns than long guns, so they were trying to keep people from heading to neighboring states to circumvent those restrictions.

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
I wonder what this will mean in the "real world"? Will things actually change someday or will it take years for this to reach common people buying a gun in Kansas?

I don't know what a decision by a U.S. District Court Judge in the Northern District of Texas means for us

poopgiggle

B Class Nobody
Burk Cornelius said:
I wonder what this will mean in the "real world"? Will things actually change someday or will it take years for this to reach common people buying a gun in Kansas?

I don't know what a decision by a U.S. District Court Judge in the Northern District of Texas means for us
I believe the gov't is appealing.

Best case scenario: this goes all the way to the Supreme Court before Justice Scalia dies and the ideological makeup of the Court is still relatively gun-friendly. Justice Kennedy gets up on the correct side of the bed that morning and we get a favorable decision.

Worst case scenario: this goes all the way to SCOTUS and they reverse it. Or the circuit appeals court reverses it. Either way nothing changes.

It won't be a huge change for most of us because we can buy whatever we want in Oklahoma. The only difference is that if you're at an out-of-state gun show and you see a gun you want, you can just go home with it instead of trying to get it shipped to an OK FFL.

Latest posts