extended tube spring lengths

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
As long as possible that will allow you to get the desired number of rounds in the mag tube. Not sure if you can remove the end of the DMW tube but I usually have 12-16" of spring sticking out of the end of my Nordic Tubes when they are installed. once they get below 12" things start to get sketchy and you can have the last shell not kick all the way out of the tube.

GA.BOOMER

New Fanatic
Thanks Jesse, Searched everywhere for a nordic tube but could not locate one anywhere. Found a DMW at Speed Shooter Intl.
so thats how i rolled......DMW do not have a cap on them like the Nordic tube does. Thanks for the reply!

jtischauser

Yeah Nordic is way backed up right now. I talked to them this week and they are adding two new machines as we speak.

Swifty

Well-Known Fanatic
I put on +9 tube today and new spring, spring is about 17-18 inches uncut. Should i just run it that length? or cut it down a few inches?

jtischauser

Can you get the required number of shells in it? If so leave it. It won't load as fast as it might if you trim some but it will be more reliable.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
Swifty said:
I put on +9 tube today and new spring, spring is about 17-18 inches uncut. Should i just run it that length? or cut it down a few inches?
from the Nordic instructions:

4. At this time, the spring will need to be trimmed. On semi-automatic shotguns especially, magazine spring length can be critical for proper function. We recommend that approximately 16" extends past the end of the Nordic Components Magazine Tube Extension as a starting point. Trim the spring off at this point,
and turn the open end in and down, so as not to bind with the magazine tube cap.

jtischauser

Swifty said:
Yeah i can get 12 in tube uncut.
I leave mine as is once I can get 12 rounds in it but it will run and load easier if you trim some. The springs in the long tubes get weak quick. Observe how hard the last shell kicks out onto the lifter when it new. Then watch that as the year progresses. If it starts to look like its not flying out of there it might be time for a new one.

Put some dry graphite in the tube too.

Wormydog1724

ATAS Ninja
I started having trouble with the last shell not kicking out hard enough a couple months ago. It wouldn't hang up everytime, but sometimes. Now its the last two shells are having trouble and the last shell hangs up nearly every time. I have a spare spring I just haven't installed yet. Think I'll do that today.

maka

New Fanatic
I originally trimmed the spring down to where it extended 12" from the tube. Last time I checked it's now at just shy of 11" and still feeds reliably. Having said that, I'm getting replacement springs and cutting them down to no more than 12" extending out of the tube.

Latest posts