Explosions at Boston Marathon

StealthESW

Well-Known Fanatic
There was an explosion at the finish line of the Boston Marathon at about 2:00PM on Monday, April 15, 2013. Atleast 22 people injured and 2 fatalities known at this time.

It is unknown at this time if the explosions were accidental.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/15/boston-marathon-explosion_n_3086665.html

The headquarters of the Boston Marathon is on lockdown following two explosions near the finish line, Reuters reports.
The blasts occurred just before 3:00 p.m., according to MyFoxBoston.
More from the Associated Press:
By JIMMY GOLEN
BOSTON (AP) â€" Two explosions shattered the euphoria of the Boston Marathon finish line on Monday, sending authorities out on the course to carry off the injured while the stragglers in the 26.2-mile trek from Hopkinton were rerouted away from the smoking site of the blasts.
Competitors and race organizers were crying as they fled the chaos. Bloody spectators were being carried to the medical tent that had been set up to care for fatigued runners.
"There are a lot of people down," said one man, whose bib No. 17528 identified him as Frank Deruyter of North Carolina. He was not injured, but marathon workers were carrying one woman, who did not appear to be a runner, to the medical area as blood gushed from her leg. A Boston police officer was wheeled from the course with a leg injury that was bleeding.
About three hours after the winners crossed the line, there was a loud explosion on the north side of Boylston Street, just before the photo bridge that marks the finish line. Another thunderous explosion could be heard a few seconds later.
Runner Laura McLean of Toronto said she heard two explosions outside the medical tent.
"There are people who are really, really bloody," McLean said. "They were pulling them into the medical tent."
Cherie Falgoust was waiting for her husband, who was running the race.
"I was expecting my husband any minute," she said. "I don't know what this building is ... it just blew. Just a big bomb, a loud boom, and then glass everywhere. Something hit my head. I don't know what it was. I just ducked."
This is a breaking news story. Please check back for more updates.

dennishoddy

I've been listening to a live feed from the area. 2-3 killed, and 30 injured. 2 more explosive devices found and a possible suspect in custody that is hospitalized.

Josh Beauchamp

Well-Known Fanatic
As bad as this is, to me this feels like a failed attack thankfully. Looking at photos of the scene and the reports of other devices along the route tells me this was planned to be much worse.

dennishoddy

benjamin-benjamin said:
another explosion at JFK library! this is crazy.
I heard that too, early on.
Now they are saying it was not connected to the bombing. The library had a fire, and something inside exploded. They didn't give any details about what it was though.

poopgiggle

B Class Nobody
Word on the Internet is that the feds are already serving search warrants.

The FBI will be updating people at 9:30am tomorrow, presumably eastern time.

StealthESW

Well-Known Fanatic
I would like to say that my family sends our thoughts and prayers for the families of those affected by the bombing in Boston. While it is always difficult to lose a loved one, it is unexceptable to lose a child.

I pray that the person responsible is brought to Justice sooner than later. May his soul burn for eternity.

Robusto

Well-Known Fanatic
WATERTOWN, Mass. â€" The two suspects in the Boston Marathon bombing killed an MIT police officer and hurled explosives at police in a car chase and gun battle overnight that left one of them dead and his brother on the loose, authorities said Friday as thousands of officers swarmed the streets in a manhunt that all but paralyzed the Boston area.

http://newsok.com/1-of-2-suspects-in-boston-bombing-killed/article/3790960

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
Here is a timeline posted by a local TV station of recent events and the ensuing manhunt.

http://www.wjla.com/articles/2013/04/boston-marathon-bombings-timeline-of-events-87715.html

One thing that stood out to me happened at 10:30pm last night

"Two armed men reportedly carjack a Mercedes SUV in Cambridge. A man who was in the vehicle is held for about a half hour and then released unharmed at a gas station on Memorial Drive in Cambridge. Police soon pursue the carjacked vehicle in Watertown, just west of Cambridge"

Obviously, I am not claiming to be a superhero nor do I presume to know how I would react if hijacked, but this seemed like a pretty good time for a citizen to be armed.

Anyone else think so?

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
I've been listening to live updates & it's pretty crazy

dennishoddy

I was listening to scanner feeds, but they all got shut off because they think the runner is listening in on them. They have national guard in armored vehicles looking.

Jefpainthorse

Fill in the Blank
My third Cousin finally got an invite to run this year's race. She was about a mile from the finish when the course was closed - due to the explosions. The Cell towers were locked down for about 4 hours... we finally heard from her and she is OK

I really hope they take Suspect 2 alive. The Goverment probably won't get much out of him by direct examination... and it will be telling if he is tried as a "terrorist" or for simple Murder and whatever else sticks in regular charges. I am still wondering what we "wont" find out since Immigration is "deporting" that young Saudi who was a "person of interest" on Day 1.

Jefpainthorse

Fill in the Blank
Burk Cornelius said:
It sounds pretty close to martial law. Several towns in the area have been advised to "stay indoors" WTF?
In Mass--- ccw is pretty limited. I'd have to figure any carjacker would not have fared well in the ARMED states... You ever notice - not many carjackings in Oklahoma and Texas?

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
Jeff said:
My third Cousin finally got an invite to run this year's race. She was about a mile from the finish when the course was closed - due to the explosions. The Cell towers were locked down for about 4 hours... we finally heard from her and she is OK
I am glad she was/is OK, Jeff

StealthESW

Well-Known Fanatic
Both suspects have been accounted for. The younger brother has been arrested and taken to the hospital. The older brother is dead. Wish they could have caught them both alive so they could both be taken to Gitmo.

Latest posts