Engraving and Duracoat

Ksmirk

Well-Known Fanatic
Evening Fella's, well I went off and did it again and screwed a barrel on a receiver and I'd like things to look a touch nicer this time out so wondering who would engrave some information on the barrel and who would be a good place to talk with about Duracoating a barreled action? I'd rather not put it on a truck so local would be great! I've seen some prices on the Duracoating that well seem rather crazy. Let me know if you folks know of anyone. Thought about the laser thing but don't know if it would show up after coating. Later,

Kirk

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
24" is the table size but it can handle a little overhang

Ksmirk

Well-Known Fanatic
Yeah that's what she said :)

Tony, would the laser etch deep enough that once the coating was sprayed it would show up or would the laser have to be done after the coating? digging around last night the Ceracoat looks to be the best choice but with the price folks are wanting there's a damn good chance it'll get shot with Kylon :) I could almost buy another barrel blank for what folks are asking. The barrel and break are 27" then add the action and were up to a overall length of 35 1/2".... think that would be too long? Later,

Kirk

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
Yeah that's what she said :)

Tony, would the laser etch deep enough that once the coating was sprayed it would show up or would the laser have to be done after the coating? digging around last night the Ceracoat looks to be the best choice but with the price folks are wanting there's a damn good chance it'll get shot with Kylon :) I could almost buy another barrel blank for what folks are asking. The barrel and break are 27" then add the action and were up to a overall length of 35 1/2".... think that would be too long? Later,

Kirk
too long

Kirk Smith (ksmirk) said:
Evening Fella's, well I went off and did it again and screwed a barrel on a receiver and I'd like things to look a touch nicer this time out so wondering who would engrave some information on the barrel and who would be a good place to talk with about Duracoating a barreled action? I'd rather not put it on a truck so local would be great! I've seen some prices on the Duracoating that well seem rather crazy. Let me know if you folks know of anyone. Thought about the laser thing but don't know if it would show up after coating. Later,

Kirk
Be sure to check with Boyd at www.hillbilly223.com. he is a Boomer Shooter sponsor. Tell him you are a member when you contact him

Ksmirk

Well-Known Fanatic
I've done that electro etching much more than I care to admit and yea it's not that awesome.

Tony, the area to be etched would only be a couple inches long... are you thinking the OAL of the barreled action would be an issue?

Kurt told me about a place in town that does the engraving for SBR's goodies but I forgot to get the name of the place... sounds like that may be my best option. Thanks fella's. Later,

Kirk

Brandon Deem

Well-Known Fanatic
Can u take the barrel off? It would really open up ur options. If it's just a barrel you can take it to any machine shop that has a CNC and get this done. Theres a lot of info in there that you don't need, but u could send this video to the shop so they know what ur talking about. With the action on it, it has to be done by a gunsmith or done while you wait in their shop.
http://youtu.be/4XxLTsXr7m8

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
I've done that electro etching much more than I care to admit and yea it's not that awesome.

Tony, the area to be etched would only be a couple inches long... are you thinking the OAL of the barreled action would be an issue?

Kurt told me about a place in town that does the engraving for SBR's goodies but I forgot to get the name of the place... sounds like that may be my best option. Thanks fella's. Later,

Kirk
Yeah, the OAL is the issue.
The Place you're talking about is probably Southwest Engravers

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
Southwest engravers did my SBR. I'm not sure if her machine can hold the barreled action though. Doesn't hurt to try, she's at N. 17th and Classen on the west side of the road.

orangewes

New Fanatic
We do engraving for sbr and have done rifles and silencers. We have engraved both before and after duracoat, if you want it to blend in then do before engraving. If the coating is black we can oxidize after engraving and usually looks like it was done at the factory. We use carbide cutters and usually get between .005-.010 deep You can see some of our work at www.facebook.com/MarkingMasters2015

Latest posts