"Earn-a-buck" programs and Antler restrictions

pyplynr

Well-Known Fanatic
Why doesn't Oklahoma have an Earn a buck program or antler restrictions?

I may get flamed on this one, but oh well. I'm not some holier than thou hunter, but are my thoughts.

I'm getting tired of being out hunting(private land) and seeing 1 1/2 to 2 year old 6 and small 8 points come by me and I see that they are not fully matured. I'll check them out and think to myself about how big they would get in a couple years or at full maturity and them walk on by and see them go off of my place and about 5 min later hear a BANG. I know it's legal for a hunter to harvest whatever he or she has a tag for, But most of these people that hunt around my place buy 1 tag and 1 tag only. It's always a buck tag, When it seems that the buck to doe ratio around here is at least 1:10. My neighbors 22 year old grandson to the south shot a 2 bucks this year. 1 in MZL season and 1 in rifle. After he shot those 2, I asked him how many does he planned on shooting now that he got his buck tags full. And his response was "none, I already have enough meat." The couple of buddies that hunt on my place know that my rule is that you have to shoot a doe before you can take a buck. I've told them the only way that you can shoot a buck first is that if you are using a bow and he better be a monster. I've been working for the last 3 years to get bigger and healthier deer in our area. It just seems hard to do when the people that hunt around my place have the "If it's brown it's down" theory.

What are your thoughts on the subject?

Airic

I shoot.
IMO the first problem you gotta get past is poachers and Illegal hunters. Poaching is baaaaad, but there are just as many people who own/lease land and hunt illegally (Shooting deer out of season/shooting with wrong weapon for season/road hunting their own place).

I know a guy who shoots every buck he sees over 6pnts. He'll be driving into his house and see one and shoot it. You know what he does with them? Takes them out and ties them to a tree and lets the coyotes clean them up until there's nothing left but the skull and antlers. I have no idea why he does this other than to add to the crapload of skulls he has hanging in his barn. That's the type of attitude of a lot of people around where I am, and that's why there will never be big bucks down here.

KillShot

Well-Known Fanatic
IMO the first problem you gotta get past is poachers and Illegal hunters. Poaching is baaaaad, but there are just as many people who own/lease land and hunt illegally (Shooting deer out of season/shooting with wrong weapon for season/road hunting their own place).

I know a guy who shoots every buck he sees over 6pnts. He'll be driving into his house and see one and shoot it. You know what he does with them? Takes them out and ties them to a tree and lets the coyotes clean them up until there's nothing left but the skull and antlers. I have no idea why he does this other than to add to the crapload of skulls he has hanging in his barn. That's the type of attitude of a lot of people around where I am, and that's why there will never be big bucks down here.

People like that need to have their ass stomped and then be incarcerated for their crimes.

Airic

I shoot.
People like that need to have their ass stomped and then be incarcerated for their crimes.

The sad thing is, if he and his family just showed a little restraint and started managing the deer population. He would have the best bucks in this part of the state.

samson86

Active Fanatic

some people... freaken ridiculous.. :angry:

cvrx4

New Fanatic

And the people who know about it and do nothing!!!

as far as the earn a buck. Hell u cant even shoot a doe everyday of gun season as it is now where I hunt. I see the buck of a lifetime I think its BS I have to pass on it because I havent shot a doe yet.

Dieseltech09

Well-Known Fanatic
I could see a program like that if we had a struggling deer population but we dont so whats the point. I agree on letting small bucks pass but I know alot of people that will shoot what ever they see. Where I hunt I can take 2 doe during rifle and I wont shoot a buck unless hes a wall hanger or has a messed up rack. I havent shot a buck in 5 years and still dont have one on my wall.

I gave up an awesome lease in Lincoln County becasue the people I hunted with turned out to be some of the biggest poachers I have ever seen. They would shoot anything that moved. I know one guy shot four fawns the opening weekend of bow season 2 years ago. I reported it but nothing ever happened to him or the people that hunt there

dennishoddy

Some of you have been on OKShooters and know my predominate posting area is the hunting and fishing forum.
Poaching is one of the things I am totally viral about. I don't care if your my best friend. Better not let me know or see you do it.

I came from an era when somebody seeing a deer track got their pic and story in the paper.
The ODW approached my uncle, and fellow ranchers in the 50's to see if they could transpant some deer from Co. and not have the ranchers shoot them in Osage county.
They all agreed.
12 does and 2 buck were transplanted and it went from there.
Today, I hunt in Grant county where we have family land. I don't hunt on my land but do hunt on the neighbor that owns 5K acres in that area.
He has a DMAP. Deer Managment Assistance Program. Its administered by the ODW.
The buck to doe ratio is at 46-1.
We have been taking
40 does a year for 7 years now, and not making a dent in the population.
We pass on all bucks under 140 class, but that does not stop the poachers that drive the roads night and day.
It really makes me mad when I'm spending a couple of grand a year with food plots, equipment fertilizer, etc, and have some guy come by in a 40K pickup and shoot one from the road.
We have added lots of revenue to the county and state getting these guys busted.

Latest posts