Dan Wesson DW Duty finish cleaning question

Addicted2Gunz

Well-Known Fanatic
Hi all, I know the topic of cleaners and lubes has been discussed to death, and that DW recommends FP-10, Miltec-1, and TW25b, but I have a very specific question lol.

Has anyone had personal experience with Mpro7 Gun Cleaner and Mpro7 Gun Oil LPX with a Dan Wesson duty finish? I'm mostly curious about the LPX Oil because I already have a new bottle that I've been using on all of my other guns and I really like it!

Thanks for any insight

Bender

Well-Known Fanatic
I don't use anything that is labeled cleaner on a melonite gun. I only use oil based cleaners like Slip 2000 EWL, FP10 and CLP products, NO ARESOL anything. If it's extremely dirty, I'll detail strip and use oil and a toothbrush. I then rinse with isopropyl alcohol, 90%+, wipe debris clean, and immediately reapply lube and reassemble.

TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot

Well-Known Fanatic
Well, hmm...

Your request makes clear that you know what the mfg recommends but are still asking about using a product the mfg does not recommend. It's your pistol and you can do what you want. I do. However, what follows is neither a recommendation nor advice. It's just what I do. Use at your own risk. Published results are not typical. Your mileage may vary.

I don't know about Mpro7 but look at the label or look up the MSDS and see if it contains any kind of solvent - acetone, ketones, benzene, etc. If it contains any kind of solvent at all the answer is NO. DO NOT USE IT.

If it doesn't appear to contain any solvents you could test a drop of it on the inside of the dust cover or someplace that won't show once assembled. But I'd be careful.

Like Bender, I use only oil-based cleaners and have had no trouble. I've used Ballistol, Clenzoil and Lucas CLP. Ballistol is my favorite. Its primary ingredient is mineral oil. And it's pretty much clear. I like that.

When I'm feeling really cheap I use CRC food-grade lubricants, which are also mineral oil and come in various spray cans which is handy sometimes. The stuff is safe for metal, paint, plastic, wood, animals and small children. It's half the cost (or less) of Ballistol and, in a pinch, you can use it for a laxative. Again, this is not a recommendation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Addicted2Gunz

Well-Known Fanatic
Well, hmm...

Your request makes clear that you know what the mfg recommends but are still asking about using a product the mfg does not recommend. It's your pistol and you can do what you want. I do.
Actually that statement isn't accurate. You say I'm asking about a product that the manufacturer doesn't not recommend. What they actually say is:
There is no way for us to test everything and that is why we only recommend a few that we know will work and work well. It is very important to stay away from strippers and degreasers. Generally, if it is safe for polymers and Painted pieces it will not discolor the Duty Treat, these are usually oil based cleaners.

This is why I asked specifically if anybody had personal experience with Mpro7 with the DW Duty finish.

That's a great tip about testing it on the inside someplace, but I went ahead and ordered some FP-10. I'm just going to be safe, I don't want to screw up my new toy over $7 oil lol

My question wasn't for the purpose of being cheap, it's that I just bought the Mpro7 oil and I'm the kind of guy that can't stand wasting something...

WWB

Well-Known Fanatic
Your best off sticking with FP-10 Kroil or another recommended lube/cleaner.

Bender

Well-Known Fanatic
i found this statement from Alex Zimmerman, founder, CEO of Guncrafter Industries

"We use Melonite finish on most of our pistols. It is a black nitride finish done in a salt bath at about 950 degrees.
In our opinion it is the best finish on the market for hard use pistols, it is EXTREMELY corrosion and abrasion resistant and has a rich, deep black color.
It also has a very low coefficient of friction, making for a smoother cycling pistol.
Please understand that where ever metal is rubbing against metal (under slide stops and thumb safeties, on the slide and frame rails etc. ) there will be wear marks.
However, the beauty of Melonite is that it provides protection even if the black color is worn off, the Melonite process penetrates several thousandths deep with a file hard, rust resistant surface.

Before being Melonited we blast the parts with aluminum oxide to texture/pickle the surface, this allows oil to seep into the open "pores" of the material as the still very hot parts are dipped in a penetrating oil right after being Melonited.
Because this oil is trapped in the pores of the metal you should never use a chemical solvent or degreaser, products with Trichloroethylene, Ammoniated Solvents, or strong Alkaline Solvents, Gun Scrubber or brake/carburetor cleaners on your Melonited pistol. The degreasing qualities of these products will remove the oil trapped in the porous surface and as a result the Melonite finish can end up looking blotchy, dull and uneven.

Instead, use WD40 or a similar light oil/lubricant as a cleaning agent followed by a LIGHT coating of a heavier oil/lubricant to the exterior surfaces of the pistol to bring out the natural rich black color of the Melonite finish."

I have seen Guncrafter state tha MPro7 was safe for use on melonite. I have used it on Nighthawk's black nitride and had no discoloring.

Addicted2Gunz

Well-Known Fanatic
Very informative Bender, thank you! That is an excellent explanation of the Melonite treatment. It completely backs up WWB's recommended method also!

Well, I think I've got the answer to my question. Thanks for all the input!

Sometimes my random questions are more about curiosity and learning than it is about wanting to go against the manufacturers recommendations. I like to find the answer to "WHY" and that explanation of the Melonite process gives me that

Bender

Well-Known Fanatic
Keep in mind, we have Derek from GI right here on the forum.
He is a busy guy, but He will get back with you if you drop him a pm here, e-mail him from GI's website or simply call Arkansas. If you're lucky, you just might chat with Stephanie if you call. She is delightful to speak with.

**Forgot, Derek's user id is DPGI

Addicted2Gunz

Well-Known Fanatic
Keep in mind, we have Derek from GI right here on the forum.
He is a busy guy, but He will get back with you if you drop him a pm here, e-mail him from GI's website or simply call Arkansas. If you're lucky, you just might chat with Stephanie if you call. She is delightful to speak with.

**Forgot, Derek's user id is DPGI
I wasn't aware of that, thanks again Bender!

Last edited:

TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot

Well-Known Fanatic
Not implying that you, or anyone else here, is cheap. Just noting that, from time to time, I am...

Actually that statement isn't accurate. You say I'm asking about a product that the manufacturer doesn't not recommend. What they actually say is:
There is no way for us to test everything and that is why we only recommend a few that we know will work and work well. It is very important to stay away from strippers and degreasers. Generally, if it is safe for polymers and Painted pieces it will not discolor the Duty Treat, these are usually oil based cleaners.

This is why I asked specifically if anybody had personal experience with Mpro7 with the DW Duty finish.

That's a great tip about testing it on the inside someplace, but I went ahead and ordered some FP-10. I'm just going to be safe, I don't want to screw up my new toy over $7 oil lol

My question wasn't for the purpose of being cheap, it's that I just bought the Mpro7 oil and I'm the kind of guy that can't stand wasting something...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mike D

Well-Known Fanatic
On the subject of DW duty finish, my nightmare started when I decided that my Guardian .45 would look good with some gold inlay treatment on Guardian. Sooo, out came the "Bonanza Gold" kit. They've been around forever, and according to them, it will not harm the finish. Short of it, while trying to clean the overage, a few drops of their cleaner was all it took to eat the finish. In the avatar you can see that the Guardian looks very well worn, that's a lot of time with a scotch brite pad, trying to make the best of a bad decision. DON'T use their solvent!
It does, however, still shoot like a dream. Kroil works great on them though.

Addicted2Gunz

Well-Known Fanatic
On the subject of DW duty finish, my nightmare started when I decided that my Guardian .45 would look good with some gold inlay treatment on Guardian. Sooo, out came the "Bonanza Gold" kit. They've been around forever, and according to them, it will not harm the finish. Short of it, while trying to clean the overage, a few drops of their cleaner was all it took to eat the finish. In the avatar you can see that the Guardian looks very well worn, that's a lot of time with a scotch brite pad, trying to make the best of a bad decision. DON'T use their solvent!
It does, however, still shoot like a dream. Kroil works great on them though.
OH wow... I would be SICK if that happened to me!!! Nice save though