Dual purpose silencer for 17hmr and 22lr

Dieseltech09

Well-Known Fanatic
Im going to have some extras cash this summer and Im in the market for my first can. Who makes a can that will work for both 17hmr and 22lr? I have read a few places that a regular 22 can isnt built to handle the pressure of the 17hmr. Anyone have any first hand experience with this? So far looking at the SWR Spectre and the AAC Element. Any others I should look into

taymoor

Skilled Lover
My personal recommendation, and what I'm in the process of buying right now from cold hand arms, is to buy a 9mm suppressor threaded 1/2-28. That way, you can shoot 9mm, .22, and it will definitely handle the pressure of .17. This way you get the most bang for your buck. Also, .22 is very quiet in 9mm cans

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofXt3iD2pwA

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
a 9mm can is way overkill for .22lr or .17hmr. Will it work, sure, but heavy & way huge on a rimfire pistol/rifle.

Your best bet is the SS Silencerco Sparrow.
IMHO, these are the best .22 cans on the market.
I have an older sparrow & my buddy has a spectre.
While his is more durable than mine, mine is easier to clean & maintain.
Now that the Sparrow is made from SS, it's hands down the most durable & maintainable .22 can on the market.

taymoor

Skilled Lover
a 9mm can is way overkill for .22lr or .17hmr. Will it work, sure, but heavy & way huge on a rimfire pistol/rifle.

Not the can to which I posted a link. The thompson machine poseidon only weighs 3.8 oz and doesn't need an LID for any pistol. It doesn't have any first round pop due to the use of wipes, but some find using wipes can be a hassle. IMO, the poseidon is a potential candidate.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
Not the can to which I posted a link. The thompson machine poseidon only weighs 3.8 oz and doesn't need an LID for any pistol. It doesn't have any first round pop due to the use of wipes, but some find using wipes can be a hassle. IMO, the poseidon is a potential candidate.
I'll have to check it out. I use a YHM .45 Cobra M2 for all of my cf pistol calibers including my 9mm & 45acp AR's.

DoctorJJ

Doc's Gun Store
Im going to have some extras cash this summer and Im in the market for my first can. Who makes a can that will work for both 17hmr and 22lr? I have read a few places that a regular 22 can isnt built to handle the pressure of the 17hmr. Anyone have any first hand experience with this? So far looking at the SWR Spectre and the AAC Element. Any others I should look into

So I'm gonna be buying you a silencer, huh?? LOL!!!

taymoor

Skilled Lover
Way cool vid. Time to start saving up!

You can get that particular silencer for ballpark $500 Stamp INCLUDED. Steve Hazelwood (coldhandarms.com) is the nearest thompson machine dealer, and maybe the only one in OK. The only bad thing (if you see it that way) is that you have to replace the wipes every two magazines with CF rounds for max effectiveness. You can go much longer with .22 bullets.

Dieseltech09

Well-Known Fanatic
Im liking the Zephyr XL from Thompson Machine. The MSRP is $240 Ill have to eamil Steve and see what he can get them for. http://www.thompsonmachine.net/?page_id=14

taymoor

Skilled Lover
That Company is so innovative and has the BEST customer service you could imagine. I have received call backs from the thompson machine CEO (Brooks) just to see if I was satisfied. They are value-based and quality focused. It almost sounds like I work for them, huh?

Call Steve at 418 GUNS to see what he can do on pricing. Tell him that I referred you and he'll tack 10% on to the price :p I'm just kidding. He'll treat you real good.

Latest posts