Dry firing while Sitting Ok or Not.

MG23

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm going to be laid up for the next 12-14 weeks as a result of breaking my shin pretty bad while playing in my Ice Hockey game Monday night. I am still in the hospital after having surgery yesterday morning to have a rod put in to fix the break. Both bones were broke in 2 different places, nothing like seeing your foot rotated out to the left passed the 90 degree mark. I am not allowed at this point to put any pressure on my leg for 4 weeks. I am going to go nuts and was wondering if I could still get a benefit of dry firing while sitting in bed. At minimal I think trigger control can be worked on. Any thoughts on this.

Airic

I shoot.
Any practice is better than no practice. I would say take this opportunity to isolate and focus on the things you can do with the gun in dryfire while you are in bed. Trigger control, sight alignment, transitions. Hell get yourself one of those lapdesks and practice table starts and reloads off a table. Get creative.

You might take some time to do other things than dryfire also. If you have match videos, review them in detail and take notes about your performance. Find videos of top shooters and take notes about their performances. Go over your training plan and write out a detailed plan and goal list for when you are back on your feet.

MG23

Well-Known Fanatic
That's a great idea with the goals list and watching the videos. I have a few of mine. Not too pretty but it's always good to go back and watch them again for areas of improvement.

wgm2011

Well-Known Fanatic
Have someone tie your laptop into your TV and run a few of the dry fire drills fromMatt Burkett's Predator Tactical website. I can spend an entire afternoon dry firing without ever leaving my lazyboy.

http://www.predatortactical.com/cart.php?m=knowledgebase_detail&id=5

Get well soon.

p.s. My wife broke her ankle and fibula two weeks ago. Came through surgery just fine. Now she's on bed rest until swelling goes down and they put on a more permanent cast. Not nearly as bad as your injury. Doc says no load bearing for 8 weeks. She should be able to resume fetching me beers from the fridge about Christmas.

Bill

Fireman489

Fanatic
Sounds like a great opportunity to practice sitting (when you feel up to that) & prone positions w rifle also. Training does not start & end w dryfire... it also includes (like Eric G said) studying film of yourself & others, making goals (and WRITE THEM DOWN ... if they are not written they're not goals,... only ideas) as well as reading books ... "With WInning in Mind" by Lanny Bassham is a GREAT one to start with. My daughter is a very competitive basketball player, 2 years ago she broke her right hand in a game. On Monday AM after 4 games, (because I kept telling my wife & daughter it was not broken ...lol) we took her to the Dr who said yes its broken and put her in a cast for 10 weeks. Moral of the story ?? She took that 10 weeks and worked the on one of her weakness', her left hand .. it was all she could use. She went to every basketball practice w a cast on her right hand using only her left.... fast forward to last week I had a convo w a D1 coach who asked "is she ambidextrous ??" I kinda chuckled and remembered her broken hand .... you have been given a blessing to work on your weakness' ...its all about how you look at things. Good luck & keep us updated !

Sundance74

Well-Known Fanatic
I'd recommend With Winning in Mind and also Freedom Flight, both by Lanny, and Brian Enos's book is a good read too.

Speedy recovery

Airic

I shoot.
Even if you have already read through them its a good time to read them again. Heres a list of really good books on the sport. At one time Brians book "Practical Shooting" was considered the Bible for practical shooters

http://www.brianenos.com/store/books.html

You also have Seeklanders and Stoegers books that are good. Plenty of reading material out there.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Seeklander

http://www.benstoeger.com/index.php/31-posts/77-books

MG23

Well-Known Fanatic
I was just trying to remember where my couple books are. I found my seeklander and stoeger books. Its a start. I'm going to use this as a positive and focus on writing down goals and how I'm going to reach them along with training.

With this new found spare time I'll be stalking boomershooter more then ever.

Latest posts