Dry Fire with laser rounds

GenHouston

Well-Known Fanatic
I found these laser practice rounds and have thought about using them for dry fire exercises. has anyone else done this? did you find it helpful? Was it a detraction? Would I be better off just sticking to dry fire stuff? I have noticed that i tend to dry fire any time i set in front of the TV or just have idle time. I have noticed a big improvement already in not jerking the trigger on follow up shoots. I have found some power point flash cards that have seemed to really help. I would be interested in hearing from a large portion of people in their experience with Dry fire.

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
You have to be able to call your shots. When you dry fire with a laser, you end up looking for the laser, and that isn't any different than looking for holes in paper. You need to read the sights and know where the holes in the paper will be based on sight picture.

Focus hard on the front sight in dry fire when triggering. Practice transitions without pulling the trigger. Alternate between using a par time and just using a start beep.

Ditch the lasers.

TayJ6

Active Fanatic
The lasers are less reliable than your brain...plus they are never zeroed. They will point all over the place.

I agree, ditch the lasers. Keep your focus on the front sight during dry fire and just see the target behind it, don't actually look at the target. Practice like you shoot.

DD78

Well-Known Fanatic
Mitch Gibson said:
You have to be able to call your shots. When you dry fire with a laser, you end up looking for the laser, and that isn't any different than looking for holes in paper. You need to read the sights and know where the holes in the paper will be based on sight picture.

Focus hard on the front sight in dry fire when triggering. Practice transitions without pulling the trigger. Alternate between using a par time and just using a start beep.

Ditch the lasers.
+1

That's exactly what I found when using a laser pistol to practice.

For fun, getting a laserlyte pistol and some of their knockover cans and screwing around with it while drinking beer with friends is fine, but using it as a replacement for dry fire practice ruins your focus.

gmar

Well-Known Fanatic
If you're interested in using lasers for dry firing, take a look at the iTarget Pro. It's only $95 shipped and is really accurate. It uses your phone's camera and an app to show your shots. I have one and love it. At least four of my buddies have like it enough to go out and buy one themselves.

https://www.itargetpro.com

Latest posts