Driving your Gun

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
What is "driving your gun"? TDSA taught it to us. You can tell when you see someone do it at a match, but how can you describe it to someone? Does it have to be shown to them?

Are there some good drills that teach the principle?

#inquiringmindswanttoknow

gng4life

Active Fanatic
Wow, that's a good one. It's so intangible that it will be hard. It's like one of those things that, "you know it when you do it". The only thing I could think of is that the firearm becomes an extension of you and you are in total control.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Driving the gun starts with a good stage plan. By good stage plan I mean having your every move within the stage and every target location memorized to the point of it being in your subconscious memory.
As your shooting the stage and more specifically the targets in the stage from your subconscious stage plan. Your eyes will be changing focus from target to front sight then snapping your view to the next target. As you see the sight lift and your focus change to the next target as the eyes snap you simultaneously drive the gun to the next target quickly or forcefully to where your eyes are already focused. Once the gun arrives in your vision your focus changes back to a front sight focus. Rinse and repeat.

You are essentially driving the gun from the last target as the gun is finishing the recoil cycle with your hips, torso and arms to the spot you are looking at which should be the center of the next target on the A zone or middle of the plate.