DPMS Panther Sportical LR-.308

KeithCross

Well-Known Fanatic
I was browsing the gun rack at the Bartlesville Wal-Mart the other day and low & behold they had a DPMS .308 for under 1K! Anybody know anything about these rifles? Good, Bad, ugly - whatever! My next big rifle purchase will most likely be a .308 and this one looks mighty tempting for the price. They also had the tag (but not the actual rifle) for a DPMS Sportical 5.56 for under $600...

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Damn those are some good prices. I think that 5.66 was just shy of $700 previously.

I am Shooting a highly modified DPMS LR308 this weekend at Midwest 3 gun championship. The first 400 rounds through this used gun have only had one stove pipe.

KeithCross

Well-Known Fanatic
That one malf was probably me. I didn't pull the trigger very hard that shot and the Semi Pros told me that can cause all kinds of issues.

Yeah...you really gotta jerk those triggers back hard to fully actuate the extractor!

What mods have you done to your rifle?

jtischauser

See the gunzoo link in my signature. I bought it used. The only mod I did was to add sling swivels and my favorite grip.

http://www.gunzoo.com/vault/JesseTischauser/651

okie-carbine

Well-Known Fanatic
i have heard that people dont like the sporticals. not sure why though.

at the altus walmart, they have the 5.56 for i think $587. i asked about the .308 and the chick said that its a toss up as to what will show up on the truck. she said theres no rhyme or reason on what they get in.

jtischauser

Jesse that 308 is cool how heavy is it?
You guys suck with all your cheep AR's and easy to get bits

I haven't weighed it but it's considerably heavier than all of my .223's. It's definitely not as reliable either. I've had one stove pipe type failure while shooting groups and yesterday on my 1st stage of the Midwest 3 gun something went south and I ended up with a double feed that jacked my entire stage up. It seems like a good Rifle but I'm starting to understand why I have always heard AR10 types aren't 100% reliable.

shootingbuff

Well-Known Fanatic
Funny what they said about he AR15/16 platform as well lol. Like anything gas and mag fed ammo and mag can be a factor as well as cleaning and lubing.

Best working through the issues. Keep us informed.

Back on topic sounds like a good price to get into it a 308. Bud highly praises his Oly.

KeithCross

Well-Known Fanatic
I have been wanting to get into a .308 and this makes it a little more easily accomplished. My concern was that it was some sort of special package that couldn't be modified, i.e., change out the stock, trigger, etc., but after seeing Jesse's it looks like that's not the case.

Jesse, maybe you're just shooting too fast!

jtischauser

Funny what they said about he AR15/16 platform as well lol. Like anything gas and mag fed ammo and mag can be a factor as well as cleaning and lubing.

Best working through the issues. Keep us informed.

Back on topic sounds like a good price to get into it a 308. Bud highly praises his Oly.

Brand new mags, factory ammo and a clean gun. It don't get much better.

shootingbuff

Well-Known Fanatic
Some guns like to be wet and some factory ammo is a little on the weak side. Some guns just need a few hundred rounds to smooth out as well.
Not saying anything is your fault except for pulling the trigger to softly as been addressed by the S.Ps. More thinking out loud and wanting you to share what you find out good or bad.

Latest posts