Dove season starts Sept 1 in Oklahoma.

dennishoddy

Who's going? I've been getting decoys, seats, etc ready for the opener.

Bought a MOJO motorized decoy to go a long with the wind decoys.

I'm seeing a good number, not great, but worth going after to get some dove breasts for the grill. :D

DC4OU

Well-Known Fanatic
My son and I are going. His birthday is August 31st so we always go as part of his birthday. We lost our local spot so I have to pay for a guide in Lawton. I wish I could find someplace local. He only gets to go once a year now that we lost our local spot.

We are excited this year because he is turning 11 and is shooting a 20 gauge now. He shot 6 last year with a 410. I hope he can limit out this year. He gets first shot and I play clean up but it is a blast.

Definitely take the Mojo! I can't believe they are legal. It changes the flight pattern of every bird in the area.

Good luck!!!

Modoc

Active Fanatic
May take the boy out with me tomorrow for the California opener. We will see how things look sleep wise tonight. Might even let him carry a shotgun for his first time in te field.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dennishoddy

Pretty good so far. I'm using a SXS muzzleloader with external hammers this season.
Killed 13 last night over mojo decoys.

5c3e6333a0a289a54740d694899ed841.jpg

Josh Beauchamp

Well-Known Fanatic
Used to go Dove hunting all the time with my dad when I was young but I haven't been in years. We never ate ours because we didn't know how to cook them. Birds went home with the rest of our group so they weren't wasted. Down side is I have know idea if I even like dove so it makes going pointless for me since I don't have anyone to give em to or what to do with them myself.

Modoc

Active Fanatic
Looks good Dennis! We didn't see many yesterday, but went out as a family. Out here it's pretty dry, so hunting out the water is critical.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dennishoddy

Josh, I can hook you up with some great dove recipes, if you want to give it a go.

Modoc, same here, semi arid where we hunt. Field hunt during the day, and waterhole before dark.

Got a limit of 15 this morning. Didn't take long with clouds of birds coming to the decoys.

e9b937f0df509631aca832dcbeb37a0e.jpg
ad79f3bb2d162eb07ef571a97e59fbcf.jpg

bboswell

Well-Known Fanatic
Son and I hunted with a group near Hominy and had good number of birds. I'm not very good with pistol and worse with shotgun but still managed to get 10. If I hadn't needed to get back to Tulsa could have filled a limit. Several in the group limited by 7:30.

Anybody know of opportunities close to Tulsa? Would like to be able to go in evening a couple of times, ideally with arrangement with landowner at a reasonable cost. My wife, who never hunts, want to try it but my guess is she will last 1 box of shells. Can't justify "guided" rates for that situation.

dennishoddy

TTownBoz said:
Son and I hunted with a group near Hominy and had good number of birds. I'm not very good with pistol and worse with shotgun but still managed to get 10. If I hadn't needed to get back to Tulsa could have filled a limit. Several in the group limited by 7:30. . . Anybody know of opportunities close to Tulsa? Would like to be able to go in evening a couple of times, ideally with arrangement with landowner at a reasonable cost. My wife, who never hunts, want to try it but my guess is she will last 1 box of shells. Can't justify "guided" rates for that situation.
I browsed the Oklahoma Dept of Wildlife site for migratory places to hunt.
Keystone WMA looks to be the closest to Tulsa. The ODW lets farmers plant on the Wildlife management areas as long as they leave some for wildlife. It makes for great dove hunting if you pick the right area. Sept 6-7 is free hunting days in Okla. Hunters don't need a license, but do have to get the HIP license that is free online.

Contact the ODW area biologist or the Game Ranger in the county your looking to hunt. They should be able to tell you where some of these fields are.

Here is a link to the Keystone WMA; http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/facts_maps/wma/keystone.htm

Latest posts