Remington does anyone have experience with the Rem. r1 1911

single stack 71

Fanatic
I have been looking at the R1 to add to my collection and was wondering if anyone had any thoughts about this firearm

busykngt

Well-Known Fanatic
Welcome to the forum!

I've got a half dozen 1911s and a Remington R1 enhanced stainless is one of them. It's a fairly typical "good shooter" in what I would consider a mid-price range 1911. The two things that jumped out the most to me were, the .45ACP 5" stainless model has fairly aggressive black factory grips and a small diameter red fiber optic front sight. It has a very tight lockup and respectful accuracy.

Personally, I like the more aggressive grips but some may find them a bit too much. Good for a defensive gun but maybe not so much for an 'all day shooter' at the range. I found the light collecting ability of the small fiber optic front sight somewhat lacking, making it difficult for my old eyes to pick up, especially in the shade of the out door range I shoot at. Of course, both those things lend themselves to being replaced pretty easily if so desired.

Fred_G

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
I had one. The thumb safety would have my hand bleeding after about 50 rounds. That one went back to Remington for a reason I can't recall, they sent me a new gun. Same issue with the thumb safety, I sold it.

Kinda soured on Remington after this and a shotgun, but, besides the thumb safety issue (which I fixed before I sold it, no super pretty, but shootable) the gun was reliable and shot well.

Of course, it there is one lemon in a thousand guns, that will be the one I buy...

Mark Van Hook

New Fanatic
I have a stock R1 that I shoot Wild Bunch competition with, as long as I keep it clean, it shoots all day, stock sights- I shoot one handed-it has never failed to cycle a round-

David D

Active Fanatic
I bought an R1 Carry off GB for 500 bucks and it shot very well...until I chased a squib.

Roger Watkins

Fanatic
I have been looking at the R1 to add to my collection and was wondering if anyone had any thoughts about this firearm
I have one. I bought it out of sentiment because I live in Huntsville where they are assembled. It is the worst 1911 I have (and I have 3 Dan Wesson's, 1 Springfield, 1 Colt and 1 Browning). It is easily the least accurate and will not battery hollow points. The gun smith and range master at my local gun shop each tried it with the same results. I would take it back to the plant but I'm trading it in as partial payment for a Springfield AR pistol. Good luck if you buy one.

mm1911

Well-Known Fanatic
Got a stainless R1 enhanced, I love the fiber optic front, I put Dawson Precision sights on all my 1911's anyway and this close enough, the thumb safety oversized and very positive, only thing I've done is put Lokgrips on it, it's dead on poa poi, have shot IDPA in CDP division, I can't remember any failures but for 650 bucks pretty awesome, no complaints here

AlphaMutt

New Fanatic
It isn't exactly what you are looking at, but I have the R1 double stack. It is a good 1911. The fit, finish, accuracy, & reliability are have all been more than acceptable.

BlackFoot87

Fanatic
I picked up a used 1911R1 that was built in New York. The only problems I've had with it was after about 250 rounds in one shooting session the slide started to stick. As for accuracy, I could hit a 6 inch target at about 30 yards, which is about all I look for. I don't shoot from a rest and I'm not a competitive shooter. I've got three 1911's a Cimmaron arms that I like the old style frame on it, the afore mentioned Remington and a Colt Mark IV series 80. The colt is the one I like by far. It's my carry gun. It just feels the smoothest when shoot and the wrap around rubber grips that were on it when I got it, make it feel like it sticks to my hand. But the Remington was my first 1911 and if it was a lousy gun I never would have gotten the others.

PhilaPop

Well-Known Fanatic
I have an R1 that I carried for 3 years, no problems. I think someone said it best above, it's a good, basic gun. Very reliable and fairly accurate (more than accurate enough for a CCW). Not sure I'd shoot at something 50 yards away, but that was not its intention. I wanted a good, basic, dependable gun that I could carry and bang around a little. AND it's made by a good, solid USA company.

Greg Smith

New Fanatic
I purchased a R1 Enhanced Commander in April have put about 1,500 pills downrange without an issue, shoots exactly where I aim. One of the best 1911's I've owned. Put the Nork in the shop for a re-work and needed another truck gun.
BTW....dump the Cocobolo grips for some VZ's. :)

Mike D

Well-Known Fanatic
I bought one years ago, just a basic R1, did a trigger job, and ramp polish, keep it clean and lubed, still a great shooter, never had a problem with it. I think it was $600 if I remember. It's one of my keepers. Great place to start.

Attachments

• R1.jpg
    R1.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 11
picked up an R1 enhanced, grip felt so good i bought it, good shooter, grip is aggressive, accurate yes i like it. good price plus rebate from Rem.

Rogrrr

Fanatic
I've had two R1 ENHANCED models which had the same "flaw". Put them on HALF COCK and pull the trigger.
Guess what - THE HAMMER FALLS !
When I disassembled them to smooth out the triggers I learned what the problem is. They do not have a half-cock notch.
It is a half-cock STEP !
Some idiot at the factory decided the step was more desirable than the notch. Granted, the primer was not dented, but for those of us diehard 1911 fanatics, that is just not acceptable.
I replaced the hammer in the one I kept so that it would not drop the hammer when put at half-cock.