Does a ported shotgun barrel help?

sefentress

Well-Known Fanatic
Ported choke tubes help to slow the wad down which improves pattern eff. Muzzel rise and kick not so much!

shootingbuff

Well-Known Fanatic
Appears to from observing but never shot a ported shotgun. Ports seem to be about a third to half way back from what I recall.

shootingbuff

Well-Known Fanatic
JP has a comp of sorts they use on the 1100/1187s. Might get with them and I will check on an alternate tonight or tomorrow.

shootingbuff

Well-Known Fanatic
Grams Engineering I "think" did the guys open shotgun I was thinking of a few yrs ago. Magnaport does their comp/tactical porting starting behind the choke. Along with Angle Port and maybe smooching up to Mike Voigt hopefully there is something here that will help you out. Watching video of ported bbls they really seem to stay flat even with full power slugs.

Rodshoot

Well-Known Fanatic
The porting was originated on International Skeet and trap originally to take the pressure off the wad near the end of the barrel, reducing the chance the wad would move into the shot cloud just off the muzzle, and "blow" the pattern. The Russians also came up with the "Tula" choke for much the same purpose: dense, uniform patters.

However, there has been much experimenting with porting for holding down the muzzle, especially for he first shot on a double OU.
Regarding placement of the holes, they should be near the muzze from the standpoint of Physics. I want them in the choke, not the barrel, no matter how sexy the "Buick Portholes" look down the side of the barrel.
The vent chokes are very effective, and make negligible shot speed reduction, working mostly on the residual gas pressure after the shot exits.

Latest posts