DLC Finish Question

Fred_G

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Curious about the DLC finish. Looks and durability, I like. But, I have trouble with DLC and leather holsters. Not sure why.

I have a Milt Sparks OWB snap on holster. It is a little tight with my SA RO, DW PM-C, and Kimber TL2. Not bad, but I would like a little more wear before it would be a daily carry. I much prefer tight leather over loose..

But, it is a job to get my DLC finished gun in or out of the holster even when it is off the belt. On my belt... VERY hard to holster or unholster. So much so, I even broke out my cheap caliper (not expecting any weird differences, and did not get any). SA is Parkerized, DW PMC is stainless, and the Kimber is whatever black spray on finish they use. Is this normal?

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
Curious about the DLC finish. Looks and durability, I like. But, I have trouble with DLC and leather holsters. Not sure why.

I have a Milt Sparks OWB snap on holster. It is a little tight with my SA RO, DW PM-C, and Kimber TL2. Not bad, but I would like a little more wear before it would be a daily carry. I much prefer tight leather over loose..

But, it is a job to get my DLC finished gun in or out of the holster even when it is off the belt. On my belt... VERY hard to holster or unholster. So much so, I even broke out my cheap caliper (not expecting any weird differences, and did not get any). SA is Parkerized, DW PMC is stainless, and the Kimber is whatever black spray on finish they use. Is this normal?
Try this trick. Before you put the gun in the holster wrap it lightly in wax paper with waxy side out tword the inside of the holster. Push gun ALL the way in. Now let it sit for at least 3 hours. I leave mine in the safe for at least a day, but I'm paranoid of getting my gun stuck in the holster. Works like a dream for me. The person that makes All my holsters and leather goods has that in his instructions. I have a Sparks IWB for a commander that I've owned since the 90's but never really used. Got the dang gun stuck and played hell getting it back out! When I got it out I tried this trick and it worked great. Just a suggestion that works for me.

Fred_G

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
The issue is 3 other 1911's will easily fit in the holster. The one with the DLC is VERY hard to get in or out of the holster... Gun in question is a Colt gov model. I have one that is a commander, the other 2 are full size. Why only the one gun? No light mounts or any other unusual things.

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
The issue is 3 other 1911's will easily fit in the holster. The one with the DLC is VERY hard to get in or out of the holster... Gun in question is a Colt gov model. I have one that is a commander, the other 2 are full size. Why only the one gun? No light mounts or any other unusual things.
I have no more ideas. That is a very strange problem.

HooDoo Man

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Peoples Republic of California (Northern)
I'll 2nd what Bob says about breaking in holsters (most all leather) with the wax [aper or I use plastic zip bags overnight under your mattress. Sometimes a couple of nights for the real tight ones. If there tight to start out, that is a good holster. You want them just loose enough for your particular draw and gun. Just go slow. If it takes a few nights so be it. You don't what it too loose, beak it in with use after that. Now, on the DLC finish being sticky, I'm in for the ride on that issue. Doesn't seem like that should be a problem. But I also do not have a DLC gun. And I'm contemplating having one done in DLC if I find the right person to do it.

Fred_G

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
The holster is pretty much broken in, I just need to wear it around the house a few days to get it like I want it. I don't want it too loose. If I stretch it so the Colt fits right, I suspect it will be too loose for my other 3 guns. that is what I don't get.

switchback

Well-Known Fanatic
I have a couple 1911s that are "holster specific". Yep big ole box of holsters. Can't imagine dlc adding any appreciable size, but what do I know.
Once upon a time in tooos land , there was a post about a holster not fitting a 1911 returned with a new hc finish. Got a lot of mileage over that

flechero

Fanatic
I have trouble with DLC and leather holsters
Same here. Even the same holster this gun was used in before the Ion Bond. Going in or coming out it's the same. feels like there is an adhesion quality between the leather and Ion Bond, even though neither are tacky in any way. It is better with a rough in holster but still exhibits the behavior to a lesser degree.

I've used plastic bags, wax paper and have even used leather lightning. L.L. helped greatly- for one day. By the next day it's back to feeling like the leather is grabbing the gun.

Going to break the laws of nature and use this gun in kydex for now. It is a gun I can't let sit and will never sell so if the kydex wears the Ion Bond, I guess I'll live with it until I can afford another redo.

I may try one more time, with a new holster, just to start fresh and go through the break in.

Fred_G

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
I just kept on breaking mine in. Still just a little tight, but is much better. Will be a dedicated holster for this gun, the others are looser in the holster.

Latest posts