dissipator barrel

steak

Well-Known Fanatic
okay yall, any one know anything about dissipator barrels? I am wanting to get one for the wifes ar build. I have found that delton makes one but they only have a heavy barrel option I am hoping i can find one with a pencil barrel if anyone knows anything please let me know.

also from what I can tell when I get it I may want to open up the gas port a little bit, but how much? and is it really as simple as putting it on the drill press and just drilling a slightly bigger hole?

steak

Well-Known Fanatic
i should have clarified I want the rifle length gas system. The barrel will be going under a 15" free float hand guard so I could use any gas system but I want the rifle length for the wifes rifle to be as smooth as possible (without breaking the bank.) the bushmaster is kind of silly in that they just put a sight on the front of a carbine barrel adding extra weight.

Wormydog1724

ATAS Ninja
I wouldn't do that. If you do a rifle length gas system on a 16" barrel you will have all kinds of hell getting it to run. Drilling the gas port may work, but it may not. Why not do a 16" midlength gas system with a front sight base at the rifle length spot? That's what a true dissipator is, not a rifle length gas on a 16" barrel. Worried about the added weight of the front sight base on the 16" with midlength gas? Well then don't do a dissipator. Your wants are not lining up with the dissipator system. Look for something else IMO.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
I think Noveske made a 17" barrel with rifle length gas. I just sent Jansen Jones from the Noveske shooting team a message to see if they still have that one available.

Wormydog1724

ATAS Ninja
I think Noveske made a 17" barrel with rifle length gas. I just sent Jansen Jones from the Noveske shooting team a message to see if they still have that one available.

17" with rifle length is ok. May have problems with certain ammo.
14.5" with midlength is ok. May have problems with certain ammo.

16" with rifle not ok.
12.5" with midlength not ok.

jtischauser

Jansen Said that the 17" Noveske was a special run done for MSTN. I sent them an email to see if they had any currently.

Another lightwieght rifle length gas option is the JP Light Contour 18". Its not cheap but my JP will out shoot any other barrel in my safe.

jtischauser

MSTN has some. Here is the ultra fast email response from them.

Yep. $535 plus shipping. That's the Noveske regular barrel cost plus an up-charge for a special profile. Comes with pinned gas block.

Wes Grant
MSTN

KurtM

Well-Known Fanatic
DPMS offers a 16" rifle length gas, and it sure ISN'T over priced like the "N:" word barrels. Rifle length on a 16 is in general just fine as long as you stay above 3050 fps with a 55 grainer. I am suprised that the Stag barrel on Jesse's rifle isn't "the best" in the safe KurtM

jtischauser

I am suprised that the Stag barrel on Jesse's rifle isn't "the best" in the safe KurtM

The Stag Barrels are damn good but I haven't found a load yet that will make it shoot quite as good as the JP that I blew up.

I just ordered another JP 18" light weight contour after reading this thread for $410 shipped.

steak

Well-Known Fanatic
thanks for the help guys, i have some emails out to a couple of companies now. Yeah, Novenski is out for this rifle. it is more of a budget build so I cant be throwing 500 into a barrel. and 3050 FPS huh? that shouldn't be to hard with good factory ammo, or my own reloads.

Latest posts