Disassembled Glock Pistol For First Time.....

CECannonJr

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
....and I had toys as a kid that were built from more substantial materials than this thing. And I'm supposed to trust my life to this? After 35 years of owning 1911's and having built several myself, the Glock has given me a new appreciation for the rock solid parts of a 1911 pistol. That's all I can say good about it. I have to admit the Glock has a good reliability record, but after examining all of the parts up close, I don't understand how it seems to work as well as it does.

My 1911 still has it's comfortable spot on my bedside table, cocked and locked. (no kids in the house.)

If my wife couldn't handle it so well, I would sell the Glock after only 2 weeks of owning it.

That puny little 9mm bullet looks intimidated when you stand it up by a bullet in God's caliber.

CECannonJr

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
P229 Carry or Elite. 3.9" bbl. with the E-2 grip. In 9mm. A little smaller than the P-226(4.4") Forget the .40.
Great suggestion. I looked at a P229 today in a local shop. I don't care for the .40 caliber cartridge at all. .40 ammo is harder to find and more expensive. 9mm is just as effective. He had 1 .40 in stock. His advice about that was exactly the same as yours....forget it.

switchback

Well-Known Fanatic
I've always liked Sigs decocker, that is a good piece of engineering. CZs not so much. But I think a Sig is a quality purchase. If you can ind one, seems all the northeast firearms having been producing (much) since all their state covid shutdowns? Just guessing here, I really have no info to back this up

m/v MOJO

Fanatic
Big 1911 fan but I've seen more failures of 1911's in competition than I've ever seen with Glocks. And there's usually 3-4x more Glocks being shot than 1911's. Might be heresy, but if I could only have one pistol, it would be damn tough to get rid of my Glock 17...

Vin

Well-Known Fanatic
I've had 2 Colt 1911's , one from the 80's never had an issue another more recent one went back to colt 3 time , constantly malfunctioning I got rid of that one.My Springfield RO runs great. I have a Glock 21 and a Glock 30 with an amazing amount of rounds through them with out one malfunction ,they will cycle any type of ammo. My Glock 34 gen5 is crazy accurate. My next one will be the 17.Easy to clean , and I shoot them very well. I will never sell the 1911's but the same goes for the Glocks.

Last edited:

EXPD

Fanatic
Alright....alright, I got it. I'm looking at Sig's. The intent is to have something reliable that my wife can handle well. Which model would you suggest preferably in 9mm?
Your gonna have to have your wife accompany you to a gun store with hopefully a large selection of pistols and see what fits her hand, what she likes and go from there to me hand strength and grip size are critical at this point. Don't rule out CZ's they are some of the best pistols out there a steel frame Model 97B in 9mm is a double stack DA/SA for around $700

switchback

Well-Known Fanatic
switchback.....What about the CZ decocker????
I sort of mis spoke and figured I would get called out. I havent had much experience with CZs, but the one example I did own, a great pistol by the way, was a 75 compact. It was a thumb safety SA/DA pistol and decocked by lowering the hammer manually to half cock notch, on a live round. I understand that CZ also makes dedicated decocker pistols. But the manual decocker variety, no thanks. Simple enough however, I just used as a single action condition 1 pistol.

Sorry for any confusion. I actually intended to edit my post but got side tracked.

Latest posts