Disappointed with twin ponds

13mx

Active Fanatic
I had some friends come up visit for the weekend and we dicided to take them to the range. When we got there around noon, the first thing I noticed was how trashed the place was. I've seen it bad before, but this was the worst I've seen it.

So we setup our targets and began to have fun. The people in the stall next to us was shooting some AK's and AR's and they were not being safe at all. I figured they would run out of ammo pretty quick seeing that they were bump firing 30 rounds at a time. But I guess that brought a lot of ammo.

I was teaching my buddies wife how to shoot my XDm .40, showing her how to load, aim and handle the weapon. When she was ready to fire it, we stepped up to the firing line and as she was about to squeeze out her first round, there was a huge explosion and all kinds of debris came back at us. Apparently the idiots next
To us had some tannerite and had it less than 25 yards from the firing line. It scared her and me as well. When she flinched she actually swept the loaded pistol at me and still had her finger on the trigger. Neither one of us was expecting an explosion like that, so I couldn't really get mad at her for it.

When the firing stopped I went down to talk to these clowns and voice my concerns. I told them I didn't care if they wanted to use tannerite to have fun, but try need to let other people know, and that they need to set it up farther down range. They started to smart off to me, and I heard on of them call me a jerk, but some of the other people that were there backed me up.

Well they set another can of tannerite about 70 yards out and I was watching them. None of them could hit it to save their lives. So I told my wife to hand me my AR and I helped them out, I took it out with one shot. They had no idea who shot and they were bummed out. It made my day :)

Once they left we had a good time.

jjwestbrook

Well-Known Fanatic
that is the exact reason i joined a club and stopped going to public ranges . much more fun shooting without having to watch your back

Regulis7

Well-Known Fanatic
I feel your pain!

I used to drive to the Candy Branch range in Abbeville SC about once a week but quit going because of the "dangerous Bubba's" who always show up with more guns and bullets than teeth and common sense. Once they ran out of ammo they simply pack up and leave ALL the trash they brought in where it lay.

Torontogosh

Well-Known Fanatic
Ugh, new shooters, tannerite, and bump-firing...that sounds totally awful.

I went out there with some cub scouts years ago (the troop leader wanted a few more folks who knew safety and such), and a large group of young Asians showed up. It was the first time I saw "Fast and Furious" style tricked out cars and they were loaded down with pistol grip mossberg 500's, .22's that were dressed up as assault rifles, and even pistols held to the side "gangsta" style. While I doubt that they were criminal, they were clearly immature, bordering on reckless. The scout master and I exchanged glances and we packed it up on the spot.

Midnight Raver

Well-Known Fanatic
That range just had a clean up session two or three weeks ago, didn't it? Doesn't take long for bums to ruin a good thing though. It can happen anywhere and everywhere too. My wife and I went shooting last month at a Range that you pay for your lane time. A bunch of yahoos that were clearly there only to make noise were in the next two lanes. It really wrecked my wife's shooting time in a bad way. At least our trip a couple of weeks ago went a lot better, with the exception of being hotter than hell for me in there! :oops:

C_Carson

Well-Known Fanatic
We were at Philson's last weekend, and all the tables were full, so we ended up sharing our table with two young guys who were mostly shooting .22's.

No big deal, until a couple of shooters wanted to change out targets. "Cold range!" was shouted out twice to make sure everyone could hear, and almost all of us gave the thumbs up that we were good. The guys on the other side of our table had also stopped shooting, and one of them crouched down on the ground. I assumed he was picking up brass, and one man had started heading down range, when we heard a shot go off!

Everyone kind of froze, then looked around to see who was firing. Everyone at eye level had empty hands, so there was some confusion. The man had retreated back to the firing line, but ventured out again. A second shot went off, and one of the older guys demanded "Who's shooting?!"

Turns out the guy crouched down on the other side of our table was trying to clear his little .22 LR, and kept discharging it. Everyone was pissed beyond belief, and one shooter very loudly gave his opinion on the incident. I was just grateful he had it pointing down range!

We left pretty soon after that; and overheard a couple older guys discussing the incident, and asking if anyone had spoken to the kid. I certainly hope so; it was my first time being around someone who didn't practice diligent shooter awareness and safety. Not an experience I want to repeat again!!!

P-1

Well-Known Fanatic
We all have had similar experiences with the ranges. I just wish the responsible ones could do something about it. It ruins everyone's fun to be on edge with the inexperienced or careless ones.

Clicker

Well-Known Fanatic
Don't give up on our NFS ranges. We have a very good thing here in the Charleston area and we should work to ensure they remain open. I make an effort to pick up a few extra pieces of trash each time the range goes cold. While others seldom do the same I just hope they notice and perhaps they'll pitch in next time.

I enjoy Tannerite as much as the next guy but the NFS rules do not allow it's use. I've found it's pretty simple to curtail any asshat behavior by politely explaining the rules to these clowns, well that and having a bigger gun helps too!

urbancommandox

Well-Known Fanatic
We didn't have the garbage out of twin ponds before a guy with a box of sleet and a guy with a bag of shaving cream cans and soda showed up. I said something the ranger said something. To bad no dnr to give out a ticket.

Frost

Well-Known Fanatic
I enjoy action targets and slide fire stocks as much as the next guy but safety is paramount.
I encounter these jackasses once in a while.
There seems to be plenty of them.

PCShogun

Well-Known Fanatic
urbancommandox said:
We didn't have the garbage out of twin ponds before a guy with a box of sleet and a guy with a bag of shaving cream cans and soda showed up. I said something the ranger said something. To bad no dnr to give out a ticket.

While I do not usually advocate for "The Man" to take action, I'd sure love to see some plain clothes DNR agent sitting nearby and writing $1000 tickets for littering at the range for those who bring non-approved targets (IE: Shaving cream cans, propane tanks,desks, table chairs, etc) and THEN leaving all the debris scattered on the field. Use some of that money to keep the place up at the expense of those who mess it up.

Confiscating their guns might also help make the ranges safer. I too have had to pack up a few times due to other people being careless beyond belief.

Pops

Well-Known Fanatic
I drove from Charlotte to Charleston to go to Twin Ponds this past weekend.

I also came down 3 weeks ago and Frost and I went to the clean up. (wearing my Celebrate Diversity T Shirt)
I spent most of my time at Boggy Head, and it was cleaned up when we left.
When I went to Twin Ponds on Sunday it looked like the city dump it was so covered with trash.

The Rangers know its a problem and they are unhappy about it.
During the clean up there were several shooters who drove up and sat in their truck for almost an hour before leaving.
The Ranger was rather beside himself that they wanted to shoot, but didn't have the character to help pick up the range.

They began discussing turning the ranges over to private management who would charge to use the range, be there to watch it, and make sure no one left their trash on the field.

I doubt they would ever find anyone who would take that job, but they were discussing that or simply closing it.
I kept my yap shut, but I was not too keen for that discussion.

urbancommandox

Well-Known Fanatic
It was funny when they were told they could help and left or waited in the car. I love that some people were sending em to the other range just so they got there to find out there was a clean up there to.

rotarymike

Well-Known Fanatic
While I didn't make it out to cleanup, I always take a broom and trashbags when I go. I've noticed that Twin Ponds is always messier than Boggy Head - accessibility is probably part of it.

I've not had unsafe shooters (yet) but I've seen some useless ones - guys with pistols just blasting away downrange at who knows what (they had no targets).

I've also been the guy with a slidefire stock - but then again, that's aimed shots not hip-bumpfire. And I always clean up my brass (too expensive not to - darn 6.8).

I wonder if they could do a seasonal permit - you need a fishing permit and a hunting permit, why not a shooting permit? Make it $10 or so a year, send them a little tag on a lanyard, and allow for guests. Then at the end of the year you could say 'come clean up or send us $20' and check off permitted shooters. $30 total is very very cheap for a year of 100' range time and when everyone is taken in to account should add up to enough $ to keep the places up. Also might scare off any toothless wonders and the gangsta community who may be less than safe.

urbancommandox

Well-Known Fanatic
I wish they would ban jack asses with bird shot. I've yelled at so many idiots peppering everything. When my Target is six feet tall and at fifty yards and your pumping buck shot in to the 25 yard berm and my Target and its post are covered in pellets we got a problem.

Tigerstripe

Well-Known Fanatic
oops, guilty. never thought of my open bore SBS buckshot hitting someone elses target. it would have only happened at Shootzenfest, where there are some other shooters, with targets, not just blasting dirt.............lolol.

but you did say birdshot. not allowed in my SBS.

Latest posts