Dillon SDB

Ksmirk

Well-Known Fanatic
Ok guys I have a delimma to work out here, I've been told by pretty much everyone to go with the 550 or 650 press thing about that is I'm NOT going to load rifle on the progressive, I'm just too anal about brass prep that by the time everything was said and done I'd not have saved any time. So what are your thoughts on the SDB press? all I'm going to load is 40SW as well that's the caliber of choice for me for my carry and eventually a longer barrel version for those pesky cardboard guys at the range.

I'm looking for good solid opinions as this is just going to be for loading pistol ammo and the single stage is out with a semi auto pistol! I've got time but would rather not spend it that way. I have thought this over long and hard and I know that no rifle ammo will go across the press so I just can't see the benifits of going to the larger 550 or 650, I'll not be loading thousands of rounds at one sitting and not changing out calibers so what's your thoughts?

Any of you fella's that use the SDB I'd like to hear your likes or dislikes please or those of you that have had them as that would be awesome information. Later,

Kirk

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Its a lifetime investment. You have to ask yourself if you want to load 650 rounds an hour or 550 rounds an hour for the rest of your life. Time is money and life is too short to spend at the reloading bench.

taymoor

Skilled Lover
If you're sure you only want one caliber SDB isn't a bad deal. In fact it is a "square" deal. The only downside is that it takes proprietary dillon dies.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
The only downside is that it takes proprietary dillon dies.

That'd be a deal breaker for me because Lee Dies freakin' rock.
I use Lee dies in all of my set ups for my 550b.

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
I think it depends on how much shooting you intend to do, strictly in terms of volume.

Ksmirk

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm going to guess for pistol rounds say a month on a heavy month 300-400 I just don't shoot much pistol hell for that fact I"ve not been shooting much the last few months but hope to change that soon ;) I know a couple of people that have the Dillon dies and like them granted these are on the 550 Lee dies are good can't argue with ya there, has anyone used an SDB and dies? did the rounds come out ok? I'm a little ways out from purchasing anything for a new press but the cost just seems to be a square deal! Later,

Kirk

Rodshoot

Well-Known Fanatic
I have the SDB and it is a fine press. The dies on it are exclusive to it and cannot be used on any other type of press, and THAT is a problem is you already have a drawer full of regular dies, or really want to be able to put them on say, a Lee turret press also. If you load more than one caliber, get the change kit with plate so all the dies stay adjusted and you can change in 10 minutes, easy. It is for pistol only.
The quality of the SDB dies is top rate, the ammunition quality is as good as any press, and if you can wear out a part, Dillon gives you a new part free.
The SDB loads at a 350 rounds per hour rate if you don't have to stop to load primer tubes or collect more components. Realistically, I seem to wind up with 6 boxes after getting the stuff together and loading for an hour. Usually I'm ready for a break then anyway. I loaded 900 rounds in one day and felt like I had "loader's elbow."

TIP: If you are going to load small primer and large primer calibers, get an extra primer assembly and set one up for large primers, one for small primers. Switching one primer assembly back and forth requires adjusting two small allen set screws for primer size, and it the most tricky, annoying adjustment on the whole machine. With the extra primer assembly and a change kit, changing from 9mm to .45 ACP is an easy 10 minute switch, with the only adjustment being the powder measure. Also get the brass primer flipper tray for quick loading of primers into the pickup tubes.

Add a loading scale and calipers, brass tumbler, and you're ready to load. (If a straight pistol brass needs triming and chamfer, or any of that sort of nonsense, it goes into the trash; life is too short)

Ksmirk

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm in no real hurry to get one but I know I'll be needing to pick one up here before next year for sure! I've been loading since I was 12 years old so I've got a mess of goodies just need something faster for the pistol. Set the thing up for 40SW and forget about it once I get it set up, everyone is telling me to get the 550 BUT they mention rifle loading and since I'm so dang hard headed I'll not stop building loading rifle catridges on the single stage.

The questions I ask myself were,

Price and will it do what I need it to do.
Is it a quality machine and will it last
Will I get quality loads
How much space is this thing going to take up
Is it easy to load with
Can I find a used one reasonable and get parts if needed (just in case I hate it)

Oh well I've got a little time before I'll really NEED one so no reason to be in a rush :) Thanks fella's I appreciate the help and opinions. Later,

Kirk

Ksmirk

Well-Known Fanatic
I've played with the 550 haven't messed with a 650 yet and would love to check out the SDB at least I could make a much more educated decision this way! Thanks for the offer. Later,

Kirk

Bubber

Well-Known Fanatic
For one caliber reloading the SQD is a good machine. It is a progressive loader unlike the 550 in that it will self index, It has been a while since I used one. The only issue I had, other than having to change for a different claiber, is the seating depth for the primers. But for Semi autos it works well. But for $59.00 more you can get the 550 a more rugged machine and standard dies, same Dillon service. later rdd

Ksmirk

Well-Known Fanatic
Yea I ended up with a 550 on the loading bench, a month earlier than I had planned but either way just gotta play set-up then roll a bunch :) Later,

Kirk

Latest posts