Deer hunting with a shotgun

Parhams0508

Well-Known Fanatic
It's what I'm going to use this year for my first time hunting deer. So, for those who have used the ol' scattergun, do yall have any tips or tricks? Do yall prefer buckshot over slug (or the other way around)? Do you carry both with you? How much ammo should you bring? Etc, etc.

Thanks in advance for your wisdom and experience!

Midnight Raver

Well-Known Fanatic
Slugs only, buckshot is not a good idea. In fact, It is probably not allowed. Accuracy is not very good except at close range and is risky in dense areas. Slugs combined with regular sights and shorter barrels(18 - 20 inches, no chokes) make for nice brush guns. Ones with rifled barrels are even better.

Plenty of other Forumers with even better info and experiences here, chime in at any time ladies and gents! :mrgreen:

Parhams0508

Well-Known Fanatic
Thanks! That's the general consensus on ammo type, with the exception of doing a "flush" with dogs or a line of hunters, in which case buckshot would be good for a wing-shot type take down.

Parhams0508

Well-Known Fanatic
I meant, that's the general consensus from what I've read so far, lol. I'm patterning my gun with buckshot and slugs here this week to see what my gun can do, and how much of a marksman I am.

Lol, marksmanship and shotguns. Reminds me of horseshoes and hand grenades....

Parhams0508

Well-Known Fanatic
I just put 3 out of 5 slugs into about a 12" area last night right at dusk with my smooth cylinder bore Mossberg at around 25 yards. Tried buckshot, but by the time I did, I couldn't see the bead sight, lol. I'll have to take my gun to the range in Liberty to see what I can really do with it.

As a side note, if anyone has never shot their guns at dark, or near dusk, I'd highly recommend you do so...especially if it's a defensive gun. It'll make you appreciate red dots and night sights a whole lot more.

Regulis7

Well-Known Fanatic
If you are hunting in an area where shots will be no more than 20~30 yards 00 buck works, slugs work much better and for the average 12ga smooth bore you should be able to stay in the 50 yard shot no problems.

oceancoursecaddy

Active Fanatic
If you have a smooth bore barrel(no riffling) get some sabot slugs. They have a riffling built into the slug that gives you a little more distance and better accuracy.

jjwestbrook

Well-Known Fanatic
i have killed many deer using buckshot . 3" mag using a ported buckshot tube. all of them were running deer with dogs however i wouldn't hesitate sitting in a stand with buckshot as long as your shots are 60 yds. or less

LiveFreeorDie

Well-Known Fanatic
oceancoursecaddy said:
If you have a smooth bore barrel(no riffling) get some sabot slugs. They have a riffling built into the slug that gives you a little more distance and better accuracy.

I dislike being contrary, but according to the reading and research I've done, sabot slugs are to be used only in fully rifled shotgun barrels. Rifled slugs, which may have been what you meant to suggest, are intended for smoothbore barrels, imparting minimal, if any, spin/stability. I've included a link below of one of the best articles I've seen on the subject. I suggest considering Brenneke type slugs for smoothbores, if you're intent on hunting with a shotgun. I personally like shotguns and have spent a lot of dough on the Mossy smoothbore I have, but Chuck tells it like it is in the last paragraph. Hope you enjoy the article! Happy hunting.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/shotgun_slugs.htm

Clicker

Well-Known Fanatic
Where are you hunting? There are ammo regs for the various WMA (public land) which must met. Private land is another story.

If you're running dogs then buckshot is the way to go, slugs if it's a still hunt. I often use buckshot while still hunting since dogs from "down the road" will push deer through our club. I've seen deer killed by a single pellet while on the run, you can't do that with slugs.

Parhams0508

Well-Known Fanatic
I plan on hunting in the Upstate, and possibly Georgia with a friend.

Update: My gun shoots 2 feet high with the stock I have on it!!! I'm going to have to adjust that stock, or get some sort of sight or scope....

Paco

Well-Known Fanatic
Parhams0508 said:
I plan on hunting in the Upstate, and possibly Georgia with a friend.

Update: My gun shoots 2 feet high with the stock I have on it!!! I'm going to have to adjust that stock, or get some sort of sight or scope....
:shock:
You sure you have a field barrel/rib and not a trap barrel/rib?
(Field has point of aim on the bead, trap has point of aim above the bead)

Parhams0508

Well-Known Fanatic
Paco said:
:shock:
You sure you have a field barrel/rib and not a trap barrel/rib?
(Field has point of aim on the bead, trap has point of aim above the bead)

Not sure; it's a 20" cylinder bore on what you would call a "tactical" shotgun.

I'm pretty sure it's the collapsible stock I'm using; the reviews on it say that it will mess with the point of aim and sight picture a bit, but I had no idea that it was that bad! I'll have to see about ordering a spacer to drop the angle down a bit on the stock, or just switch to the classic rifle stock it came with when I go to the range again.

I had originally bought the stock so that the length of pull would be better for my wife to handle it, but with how bad the sight picture is, I might just have to get that spacer.

Tigerstripe

Well-Known Fanatic
long ago i bought my wife a camo rem youth 20 ga pump.

we started doing more deer hunting and just shooting than bird hunting so i took it to a gunsmith, Dunbars, and he sighted it for slugs.

i didnt know it but with a vent rib what you do is bend the vent parts to change point of impact.

now with slugs it is dead on and low with shot. it was way high with slugs before.

part of that could be the difference in lo and hi brass too.

its a neat short gun also.

Tigerstripe

Well-Known Fanatic
i killed my first buck with 00 buckshot. i was squatted down looking to turn and sit when i heard him come up behind me. when i turned he ran, i fired at around 25 yards.

well you know he didnt stop so i waited a while and went to see if there was blood where i would have hit him.

i found 7 pellet holes in one large tree and 1 pellet hole in another tree. after looking around i found blood and tracked it to a huge spill where he had layed down.

i kept going and found my 8 pt. 1 pellet hit him in the neck.

sc1911cwp

Well-Known Fanatic
I used to hunt with a shotgun that had a rifled barrel and scope . Very accurate. Sold the gun and still have the scope. I never got around to selling it.

Latest posts