Decisions

Jackary

Well-Known Fanatic
Trying to decide on putting together my other Loki receiver set or buying a 1911

Any recommendations on quality 1911s I have been looking at the Kimber Custom II also looked at the Springfield Range Officers anyone have experience with these

The Loki build I am thinking a 300 BLK SBR

This will be my last purchase for the year if I go with the build I am going to spread it out over a few months

What would you guys choose

Jackary

Well-Known Fanatic
They will probably see equal range time its more of which is going to get to see range time first if I go with the 1911 I will still send in the paper work and have the receiver engraved then just hold off on finishing the build for the rifle

I am kind of leaning towards the 1911 since I will have to wait on the paperwork for the other and that will probably take awhile

can anyone comment on either of those pistols? Positives, negatives, other recommendations in that price range

The 1911 would just be range toy with occasional carry and night stand duty.

dennishoddy

I have the Kimber Custom Target II. All I can say is that it runs. Thousands of rounds down the tube, and the only malfunctions have been mag/operator related. I'm about 2K rounds into my endurance test of not cleaning it. I do clean the loading ramp on occasion as I shoot lead.

aeropb

Well-Known Fanatic
Kimber makes good guns but seldom are they a great value, unless you get a first gen gun or a good deal/used entry level gun. They make a lot of money and hold a lot of re-sale on their name kinda like Colt. You can get a far better value finding a used Baer, Springfield, STI, gunsmith special, or semi-custom for less than a higher end Kimber.

Jackary

Well-Known Fanatic
I am looking in the 700 to 1000 range the Kimber is at the upper end of my range the RO is about middle of the road I have looked at the STI Spartans a little bit as well and i know that they are another quality company

shootingbuff

Well-Known Fanatic
Here is a different view. If the question is for desire then save your money until you know what you need for a given match type or hunt, and if you have bills, pay them down or get ahead. I know it is not as fun, but it gives you the opportunity to better figure out what you need (well sort of), gives you more time to figure out what you want to do with it, and possibly puts you ahead with finances so you will be in a better place to get what you ah want ;-) Being uncertain or low on finances often doesn't get you what you really want, may be a burden, and may be a loss if you sell it or upgrade a bunch of parts to get what you really want. later

Would the desire be satisfied with something less than what you really wanted?

Like I stated, a different view point and nothing else implied or otherwise alluded to

Best with your purchase.

Jackary

Well-Known Fanatic
@ Shooting buff

This would be my one big fire arms purchase for the year not really planning on settling for something I dont like or something that would have to be heavily modified I got the Loki receiver set in one of the group buys and already have the build planned out exactly how I want it, it is just going to be a range toy and I was thinking about putting the build off until next year as the ATF paperwork will take awhile

The 1911 would get the most use this year I just don't know which model I want I threw out the Kimber and the range officer because both of those models have the features that I want

@ Brian
That is a nice pistol but I would rather have a government profile

Jackary

Well-Known Fanatic
Found a Kimber Custom Target II in like new condition on gunbroker for $770 total after shipping and the transfer fee, the seller listed 50 for the round count is this a good deal

Oleg Tolmachev

Well-Known Fanatic
I have the Kimber Custom Target II. All I can say is that it runs. Thousands of rounds down the tube, and the only malfunctions have been mag/operator related. I'm about 2K rounds into my endurance test of not cleaning it. I do clean the loading ramp on occasion as I shoot lead.

I had hell with my Kimber last Sunday at H&H. After about 60 rounds of standard PMC ammo it started miss feeding - looked like it was all gunked up inside. Then, for some reason, it was ejecting (sometimes ejecting and miss feeding) rounds when I put a new mag and racked the slide. I had two Wilon Combat ne one stock mag. Do not remember which mag I had at the time. I had those issues on 2 out of 4 sages, multiple times. Until I figure this out and fix, I m not hooting it in a tournament nor do I carry it.

Jackary

Well-Known Fanatic
I definitely plan on putting quite a few rounds down range with it before I carry it or put it on night stand duty

dennishoddy

Oleg Tolmachev said:
I had hell with my Kimber last Sunday at H&H. After about 60 rounds of standard PMC ammo it started miss feeding - looked like it was all gunked up inside. Then, for some reason, it was ejecting (sometimes ejecting and miss feeding) rounds when I put a new mag and racked the slide. I had two Wilon Combat ne one stock mag. Do not remember which mag I had at the time. I had those issues on 2 out of 4 sages, multiple times. Until I figure this out and fix, I m not hooting it in a tournament nor do I carry it.

If that happens again, be sure to mark which mag was in the gun when the malfunction occurred. That might help narrow it down.

Latest posts