decision made

boatdoc

Well-Known Fanatic
Been thinking a lot about ways to save my .45s rather than sell them to get new 9mms..(vs converting them to 9mm--not going that route). Rob of ACG/Cabot suggested I try some ASYM 185gr JHP match. I ordered a few boxes.

Then Steve Kelley of Wilson Combat fame suggested their .45 acp SWC ammo. specs seem about the same as the asym. hoping less recoil(felt for a while as I heal through next spring) by using this ammo,shooting less rounds per session and using a impact absorbing glove will let me enjoy 45 shooting without worries of damaging the repaired hand. Spent 6 months in horrific pain before the repair. Never want to go back there.
anyone have experience with either of these ammo selections/ how about felt recoil vs standard(winchester or remington) 185gr or 230gr HB ammo?
thanks

OldGunner_43

Well-Known Fanatic
Bullseye shooters have been using "light" 185 gr. and 200 gr. loads ever since the rules changed. As a result, companies like ASYM and Atlanta Arms have been offering such loads - but they're expensive. You can find lots of good info on bullseye loads at the BullseyeForum.net.

OldGunner_43

Well-Known Fanatic
Yep. Tula ammo is fairly low recoil and cheap to boot. The only problem is that most indoor ranges won't let you shoot it because the bullets have a "bimetallic" jacket. If your range checks ammo with a magnet, Tula won't pass the test. I'd also have to say that Tula is cleaner shooting than Winchester white box.

ILED93

Well-Known Fanatic
I've shot the Winchester training ammo @Bender mentioned. I've used it in 9mm and .38 spl. My experience with it is that is does have reduced recoil.

41 Charlie

Well-Known Fanatic
If you're not already reloading your own, I highly recommend it! Not a whole lot more enjoyable than loading down your ammo for range use. Those days of full magnum loads are far behind me. I take great pleasure in creating my own "pet (Bunny Fart) loads". Best of luck with the healing!

boatdoc

Well-Known Fanatic
If you're not already reloading your own, I highly recommend it! Not a whole lot more enjoyable than loading down your ammo for range use. Those days of full magnum loads are far behind me. I take great pleasure in creating my own "pet (Bunny Fart) loads". Best of luck with the healing!
thanks Charlie. I am considerin g it

Salelcid

Fanatic
Been thinking a lot about ways to save my .45s rather than sell them to get new 9mms..(vs converting them to 9mm--not going that route). Rob of ACG/Cabot suggested I try some ASYM 185gr JHP match. I ordered a few boxes.

Then Steve Kelley of Wilson Combat fame suggested their .45 acp SWC ammo. specs seem about the same as the asym. hoping less recoil(felt for a while as I heal through next spring) by using this ammo,shooting less rounds per session and using a impact absorbing glove will let me enjoy 45 shooting without worries of damaging the repaired hand. Spent 6 months in horrific pain before the repair. Never want to go back there.
anyone have experience with either of these ammo selections/ how about felt recoil vs standard(winchester or remington) 185gr or 230gr HB ammo?
thanks

I have been shooting the ASYM ammo for a while. And if you get there match ammo, it is very accurate and very soft.

Ethanol Red

Well-Known Fanatic
I don't have any ammo advice, I just hope you can work through all your wrist troubles sooon! Gotta keep blasting. I'll peek here to see what you find as I'm not as bad ass as I once was either. I'd like a cheap slightly easier shooting 45 for range work.

boatdoc

Well-Known Fanatic
I don't have any ammo advice, I just hope you can work through all your wrist troubles sooon! Gotta keep blasting. I'll peek here to see what you find as I'm not as bad ass as I once was either. I'd like a cheap slightly easier shooting 45 for range work.
THanks ER.. I am doing very well. MY ortho md released me from his care.I have 3-4 more weeks until I can officially use the hand at work. Left hand/ elbow is healing slowly but no surgery planned and that is a plus .

I plan to try some 22lr rifles and hand guns. after 12-20-18

I did get the WC L-swc 700fps ammo in . Tried 2 rounds ,shot left handed out of my wifes Les Baer and it felt GREAT.. very light recoil even compared to other 185 gr ammo(winchester and remington). I am encouraged. Once I start shooting 9mm in February then 45 acp in March or so, I will use the 185 grain ammo until I feel the hand(protected by either of 2 palm padded gloves) can handle the big stuff. WC L swc reload are about 30 cents per round. NOT bad at all I hope your wrists and hands are doing better Buddy.

Ethanol Red

Well-Known Fanatic
Good to hear! 45 is king but 9mm is the fat chick. Fun to ride but don't tell your friends.

Frog4life

Fanatic
Regarding recoil, I think it's more related to muzzle velocity than projectile weight.

We know that E = MC2 (MC squared), or Energy = Mass x (Speed of light, squared). So speed has a much greater influence on energy (and felt recoil) than mass.

In my experience the felt recoil of lighter weight bullets is no different than heavy bullets if they have similar powder charges.

However, if the charge is less and the projectile is lighter, then certainly you'll have less felt recoil. 45 ACP compared to 22 LR is obviously very different.

So I say you must have lighter powder loads to have less felt recoil. Am I crazy? Any physicists out there?

Dwe

Well-Known Fanatic
I think the mass of the gun has a huge thing to do with recoil.
Especially with 45. My light weight
.45s are far more punishing than my steel guns. As I age I also have gravitated to the 9mm.

However IMHO, the 38 Superb seems to be the sweet spot for power factor and recoil.

Even in an alloy frame it's a fantastic
Compromise.

Last edited: