Decent holster

Gfercaks33

Active Fanatic
For competition what would a decent holster be? I'll be running a service model xd9. I'm not looking for the cheapest but I don't want to break the bank as I'm trying to gather up gear. Would any of the ones academy has to offer be a good choice?

poopgiggle

B Class Nobody
I'm a big fan of the Safariland 5198 for starter holsters. They're about $25 on Amazon Prime; I got one for my dad for a TDSA class (I didn't have a wrong-handed holster) and it was good.

The 5197 has belt loops and the 5198 comes with a paddle and belt loops; otherwise they're the same.

Gfercaks33

Active Fanatic
I was looking at running an inner outer belt, possibly the uncle mikes I found on line or I think I found a double alpha? Trying to buy some starter equipment, if I can buy some cheaper things I can get more, I'll worry about upgrading later on.

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
Gfercaks33 said:
For competition what would a decent holster be? I'll be running a service model xd9. I'm not looking for the cheapest but I don't want to break the bank as I'm trying to gather up gear. Would any of the ones academy has to offer be a good choice?
What does Academy have?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

JoeF

Well-Known Fanatic
Blade-tech OWB can be used with most attachments like Tek-lok or ELS. Can be had for ~$45 from opticsplanet.com if you get a 10% coupon code from Jesse.

Link

Unfortunately the for the good price, some Blade-tech items take awhile to get from Optics Planet.

poopgiggle

B Class Nobody
JoeF said:
Blade-tech OWB can be used with most attachments like Tek-lok or ELS. Can be had for ~$40 from opticsplanet.com if you get a 10% coupon code from Jesse.
For a starter holster the Bladetech Revolution stuff is pretty good too, though I'm not sure if you can use attachments with them. I think you can buy a starter kit w/ a holster and mag pouches too.

Adam78

Active Fanatic
I finally bought a CR Speed Hi Torque belt and some CR Versa pouches for USPSA. It is nice just having a dedicated setup instead of running my EDC belt and some crappy Fobus and nylon pouches I got for cheap years ago. I run a Raven Phantom for my G19 in production since I already had it, but have been looking at the 5198 mentioned above if I decide to invest in another pistol like a G34/35 or G17.

Somewhat related question, can you use the inner CR Speed belt with the outer Safariland ELS belt system?

Gfercaks33

Active Fanatic
I looked into the blade tech and that does look like a deal as you get the holster and some mag pouches.

FortyMikeMike

Well-Known Fanatic
Gfercaks33 said:
I looked into the blade tech and that does look like a deal as you get the holster and some mag pouches.
I like Blade Tech's stuff. The entry level holster (revolution I think its called) will work with teklok but I don't remember for sure if the mag pouches that come in the kit will.

I've moved up to the Black Ice now, but still have my first blade tech, which is way better than the asstastic Fobus from academy.

JoeF

Well-Known Fanatic
I haven't tried my black ice yet, picked up that and a wrs and trying the wrs first. It seems to work pretty well.

Fallout556

Well-Known Fanatic
Beware of going cheap. I started off going as inexpensive as possible. Then I moved up to a Tek Lok belt because it was a middle option. Finally I ended up buying the ELS system so total investment was much higher than if I had just gone with it right away.

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
Fallout556 said:
Beware of going cheap. I started off going as inexpensive as possible. Then I moved up to a Tek Lok belt because it was a middle option. Finally I ended up buying the ELS system so total investment was much higher than if I had just gone with it right away.
Great advice. Unfortunately, nobody follows it.

poopgiggle

B Class Nobody
IDK, getting a $25 holster to use with your carry belt while you save up for a full CR Speed rig from makereadyproshop.com seems sensible. Especially when there are holsters in the $25 range that are perfectly serviceable; its not like an Uncle Mike's nylon sausage sack.

Either you sell it to a future n00b later on for $15, or you end up with a spare to lend to people.

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
dr poopgiggle said:
IDK, getting a $25 holster to use with your carry belt while you save up for a full CR Speed rig from makereadyproshop.com seems sensible.

Either you sell it to a future n00b later on for $15, or you end up with a spare to lend to people.
I said it was great advice. Just nobody I know has ever done that. But none of my friends do anything anyone tells them to

Latest posts