Dan Wesson Guardian Old vs New

chiliinabowl

Active Fanatic
I have acquired a gently use DW Guardian circa 2018. After some internetin' to research, it seems they were discontinued in 2019 and brought back in 2020 with some modifications. Other than a checkered main spring housing and different night sights, I can't seem to find what those changes were. Any additional insight or information would be appreciated. Thanks!

dcoffman

Fanatic
DW switched from using the Ed Brown mainspring housing sometime in 2018 (the year mine was manufactured) to their design, prior you could swap to an EB chainlink or snake scale pattern. I've hesitated to order one as I'm not sure which I have.

Additionally, I contacted Keith Lawton@Dan Wesson prior to ordering mine in 38S to discuss if there were any differences in the 9mm & 38S as I intended to use it with both calibers, Keith informed me the 38S frame had a wider breech face to accommodate the 38S rim.
In other discussions with Keith, all their 1911s are cut with a twist of 1 in 16.
The 38Super is bored 0.346" with 0.355" groove.
I reload all my ammo and my 38Super works equally well with 0.355", 0.356", and 0.357" others may vary.

chiliinabowl

Active Fanatic
DW switched from using the Ed Brown mainspring housing sometime in 2018 (the year mine was manufactured) to their design, prior you could swap to an EB chainlink or snake scale pattern. I've hesitated to order one as I'm not sure which I have.

Additionally, I contacted Keith Lawton@Dan Wesson prior to ordering mine in 38S to discuss if there were any differences in the 9mm & 38S as I intended to use it with both calibers, Keith informed me the 38S frame had a wider breech face to accommodate the 38S rim.
In other discussions with Keith, all their 1911s are cut with a twist of 1 in 16.
The 38Super is bored 0.346" with 0.355" groove.
I reload all my ammo and my 38Super works equally well with 0.355", 0.356", and 0.357" others may vary.
Thanks for the info. I would assume mine has the Ed brown main spring housing then. My Guardian is in 9mm, probably should have mentioned that before.

dcoffman

Fanatic
I bought an additional 9mm commander barrel from DW and ended up sending it to Integrity Arms in OH and had it chamber reamed to 9x23Win it's now in a Valor commander, which is one hot cartridge, the Valor was a 9mm which left me heavy one 9x19 in the event I want to swap one back.

Latest posts