damage to bolt catch

Dayman

Well-Known Fanatic
Having some damage to my bolt catch caused by lugs on the bolt face. Bolt face shows no wear but the mag catch is getting chewed up. What could be causing this? Defective mag catch or to much force from bolt slamming back? The catch is from a cmmg kit. The lower kit installed is a spikes kit, however the bolt catch would not fit in the palmetto state defense lower, they gave me the cmmg catch to correct for the tolerances. The buffer and spring are from a utg stock tub assembly, they are mil spec. This is after few hundred rounds. Would you jut monitor, replace mag catch, add heavy buffer? Any help is appreciated. Sorry about the cruddy pics.

FunkyMonkey

Well-Known Fanatic
A bolt catch should never look like that.

Spikes is not known for their precision, and they swapped out a part with even worse reputation. Sadly, I think the best option would be replacing the lower kit with something higher quality. If one part is that bad, do you want to trust your (or your loved ones) lives to who knows what from the same kit? Keep the old parts for emergency spares - it's never a bad idea anyway.

Dayman

Well-Known Fanatic
Got some info from another sight and recommended removal of the BAD level. Took the level off tonight. Think i will lightly sand and paint the damaged areas and monitor for wear. Anyone have any issues with a BAD level?

FunkyMonkey

Well-Known Fanatic
Dayman said:
Got some info from another sight and recommended removal of the BAD level. Took the level off tonight. Think i will lightly sand and paint the damaged areas and monitor for wear. Anyone have any issues with a BAD level?

Used and liked them for yeears without problem. Could be a crappy underlying spring, though.

Dayman

Well-Known Fanatic
This is my first build... Any recommendations where to proceed. As is the gun runs great, never any failures with fire or extraction. should I get a new catch (issues with a spikes fitting as mentioned, guess i go get another cmmg? any other brand?) If i do remove the catch partially punch out the catch, can i use the same pin and spring or replace every thing?

11B3XCIB

Well-Known Fanatic
Dayman said:
This is my first build... Any recommendations where to proceed. As is the gun runs great, never any failures with fire or extraction. should I get a new catch (issues with a spikes fitting as mentioned, guess i go get another cmmg? any other brand?) If i do remove the catch partially punch out the catch, can i use the same pin and spring or replace every thing?

A lot of times I find the BAD Lever is the answer to a question that didn't need asking. I'd be surprised if that wasn't the cause or your problem. Is there any damage to the bolt teeth or underside of the bolt carrier where it might be dragging? I'd replace the bolt catch, using a new roll pin if you damage the old one removing it...the spring should be fine. If also remove the BAD Lever and see if the problem persists. Just a way to see if that's the cause of the problem or not

rotarymike

Well-Known Fanatic
11B3XCIB said:
A lot of times I find the BAD Lever is the answer to a question that didn't need asking.

+1 on this. The angle of the bolt catch and the spring tension were intended to allow the bolt to pass when not cammed up by the (possibly weak) mag follower. The BAD lever puts cantilevered weight on it and pulls it up against the bolt. I've seen it on a few others. Add together all the mil-spec tolerance stacking, and you gets some damage.

Sell it for $25 on ebay, get a new bolt catch, and spend more time learning the AR manual of arms - you won't miss it.

11B3XCIB

Well-Known Fanatic
https://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/ ... ct_id=4672

Here's a lower from Rainier Arms and AXTS that remove the "need" for a BAD lever. I'd like to get one.

Incorporates a bolt hold back with the mag release button
Benefits:
Removes six steps from the Manual of Arms when clearing a double feed malfunction.
The device adds the ability to use the right hand to lock the bolt to the rear while still leaving you the option of using the standard left hand method.
Greatly reduces the amount of time needed to clear a malfunction.
Unlike all other devices there is no need to learn to find a new location for your trigger finger as one experienced with the weapon already instinctively makes contact with the magazine release button first to clear any remedial action malfunction.

1c1f3c0751fdafbb8826122d7cb84f7d.jpg

Latest posts