Dam near hurt my self

MrTheBigOx

Well-Known Fanatic
Was shooting 600 yards with my DPMS SR-25, did my load work up and initial shooting with one batch of powder I've had for a while and started on a new batch. I thought I could just carry on shooting blew my Pmag to bits and brass catcher a couple feet away.
After finding some brass there was major over pressure signs

f3ca21fa493c4c732d1a99b7d70826c1.jpg
42c0093b364972b522ee2c2311c25818.jpg
4f454fcb2ae39844c3e6ca45a69c4d00.jpg
54e9a8f3702b5208f97cc8a82f8b99a1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrTheBigOx

Well-Known Fanatic
Matt could be head space, I don't really know can't be a double charge as it's almost compressed loading, max listed load was compressed so I would have noticed in the press

MrTheBigOx

Well-Known Fanatic
Only 44.3 grains of AR2208 (ADI). Max listed load is 45 and this didn't have major pressure signs.
Compressed loads aren't a big deal in 308 as long as there aren't cam marks on the cases and primers still have a curve on the edges things will be pretty safe normally.

Robusto

Well-Known Fanatic
One of my buddy's has an FAL that leaves a crease in the spent brass. Could you have gotten hold of some of those for your reload?

MrTheBigOx

Well-Known Fanatic
Did some loading today, noticed I had pistol primers in the feed tube I haven't loaded pistol in a fair while. When I fired the bad shot there was a kind of double boom, what I'm wondering is could the pistol primer have ignited enough powder to nock the projectile into the barrel then had a second burn creating a major over pressure that caused this?
I've herd of this kind of thing happening with light loads of fast burning powders.
There are some smart fellas on here so just wondered

King_Mud

New Fanatic
Well, it should be nearly impossible for an AR type rifle to fire OOB since the bolt has to be locked for the firing pin to reach the primer.

If you did indeed load pistol primers they have a much thinner cup. It's possible you fired a shot and the second boom was a round going off when impact to the primer set it off. It could have happened before the bolt locked and that would account for the funky case neck since it wasn't totally in the chamber and blown off base since it had no support.

Latest posts