CZ SP-01 Tactical Sport

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
I've never shot that gun but I have a Matt Mink shadow for production that us badass. With that said I'd much rather run my STI for limited.

hermnrob

Well-Known Fanatic
The SP01 tactical is around $550 low price and $680 on the higher end. What kind of work has been done to the pistol for it to be priced at $1100?
I would suggest a CZ SP01 Shadow if you can find one.
IMO the Shadow has better options, I am not a big fan of the double action trigger ( length of travel before bang). You can get a Shadow for $600 to $880 for a base gun or $1100 to $1200 for one that has some work to it. Great pistol and very accurate.

Jesse and a few other here have the Shadow I'm sure they love it!

Dustin Cantrell

Well-Known Fanatic
Marshal F said:
The SP01 tactical is around $550 low price and $680 on the higher end. What kind of work has been done to the pistol for it to be priced at $1100?
I would suggest a CZ SP01 Shadow if you can find one.
IMO the Shadow has better options, I am not a big fan of the double action trigger ( length of travel before bang). You can get a Shadow for $600 to $880 for a base gun or $1100 to $1200 for one that has some work to it. Great pistol and very accurate.

Jesse and a few other here have the Shadow I'm sure they love it!
It's a factory gun. Single action with a .8-1.5 pound trigger with adjustable pretravel and overtravel. It comes with a 5.4" barrel, checkered front and rear strap, extended mag release and mag well. I think it's quite a different pistol than a stock Shadow.

I guess the one I found instock is a 10 round model. I would usually be buying extra mags anyway so it wouldn't be a deal breaker to have one mag be only 10 rounds but I was told this pistol comes with 4 mags. Lose a little value there buying four mags at $50 a pop to replace the 10 rounders.

hermnrob

Well-Known Fanatic
Got it the site just came up I've been talking about a different pistol. I need to drop the SP01, CZ75 Tactical Sport it looks sweet.

Dustin Cantrell

Well-Known Fanatic
Marshal F said:
Sounds like a nice pistol! I did know the SP01 tactical came with a 5.4 inch barrel just 4.7.
Maybe I labeled it incorrectly. On the CZ site it's a CZ 75 Tactical Sport. On other sites selling it (same model number), it's a CZ SP-01 Tactical Sport. I don't know a whole lot about it but am just looking to upgrade to a better limited pistol without spending $2k+ on a custom job. The SP-01 Shadow has a 4.7" barrel and DA/SA and the TS is 5.4" barrel and SA. I'm not sure what other differences there are mechanically.

Jon-Luc Ruben

Well-Known Fanatic
I run a tanfoglio match in limited. It is a cz clone. For the price, you really can't beat it. I would suggest you go with a higher end model though like the tanfoglio limited if you can pay a little more initially. Dropping the trigger pull to about 3 pounds is easy with just some polishing. Put in new hammer spring and XL firing pin and you could drop it even more. It also has pretravel and overtravel screws. If you are feeling really spendy, Henning Wallgren's aftermarket trigger is amazing. I can't afford it, but I have tried it out on a friend's Match. The only problem is the customer service. I had to get my firing pin deburred because is wouldn't come out during disassembly. I sent it back and ended up paying 40 bucks for shipping back and forth. Now that I have after market modifications I voided my warranty. So, I guess I don't have to worry about it anymore. I spent 550 on the gun 135 for the magwell, about 100 on 5 mags, 300 for mag extensions and followers, holster is 80 from bladetech, and a free polished guide rod and spring from Mr. Wallgren on my birthday. If you can find a tanfoglio limited, expect to pay 850-900 but it has a magwell on it already. Also, if you do buy one, get it new or make sure it is the large frame. The old models have terrible magazines.

Dustin Cantrell

Well-Known Fanatic
JRuben said:
I run a tanfoglio match in limited. It is a cz clone. For the price, you really can't beat it. I would suggest you go with a higher end model though like the tanfoglio limited if you can pay a little more initially. Dropping the trigger pull to about 3 pounds is easy with just some polishing. Put in new hammer spring and XL firing pin and you could drop it even more. It also has pretravel and overtravel screws. If you are feeling really spendy, Henning Wallgren's aftermarket trigger is amazing. I can't afford it, but I have tried it out on a friend's Match. The only problem is the customer service. I had to get my firing pin deburred because is wouldn't come out during disassembly. I sent it back and ended up paying 40 bucks for shipping back and forth. Now that I have after market modifications I voided my warranty. So, I guess I don't have to worry about it anymore. I spent 550 on the gun 135 for the magwell, about 100 on 5 mags, 300 for mag extensions and followers, holster is 80 from bladetech, and a free polished guide rod and spring from Mr. Wallgren on my birthday. If you can find a tanfoglio limited, expect to pay 850-900 but it has a magwell on it already. Also, if you do buy one, get it new or make sure it is the large frame. The old models have terrible magazines.
The pistol I posted already has a .8-1.5 pound trigger. Do you have experience with the CZ 75 Tactical Sport? Why should I go with a Tanfoglio over the CZ 75 Tactical Sport? I've read about slides cracking on Tanfoglios. I think they were the EEA Witness pistols. EEA and Tanfoglio are the same, right? I could be wrong.

Jon-Luc Ruben

Well-Known Fanatic
I was just explaining what I run because I was in the same position as you with regards to trying to find a nice limited pistol without spending too much money. I'm a student who has one parent who is antigun and the other is barely tolerant of having any guns in the house. I have to fund my addiction and love for shooting solely on what I have. If you are set on getting the tactical sport, go for it. It seems like you already have your heart set on it. In no way did I say tanfoglios were a better or worse choice. I simply explained my story and how it was successful. That being said, the problem I ran into is that buying extended basepads, followers and spring, firing pin, more magazines, a new rear sight adds up quickly (a problem that all limited shooters run into when they build up a gun as I'm sure you know because you have a glock 35). To address what you have read about tanfoglios, they are imported by EAA and the cracked slides are the old rounded slides and most of those were in 10mm. My post addressed that the new models are better. I have not had experience with the Tactical Sport, I was addressing one of your problems, the cost of shooting limited. You could easily get the trigger under 2 pounds like I have if that is the most important aspect. My understanding is that you wanted to get a limited gun without spending too much. I didn't realize you were just waiting for someone to tell you about their experience with the CZ. If tactical sport offers what you want, get it.

Dustin Cantrell

Well-Known Fanatic
I went ahead and ordered it. I'll have a new CZ 75 Tactical Sport in .40 S&W in my hands before too long. Already ordered two mags (two was all they had) and I'll have to find a couple more. Now the holster search starts!

Dustin Cantrell

Well-Known Fanatic
Got some CR Speed pouches on the way, Blade Tech holster, stainless guide rod, little lighter recoil spring, four more mags, four mag extensions on the way. Super pumped about this pistol. Just have to wait until CZ custom gets their mag springs and followers back instock and then these mags with the extensions will hold 20 and maybe 21 rounds once broke in and still fit in the 140mm box. Hopefully it ships this week. Can't wait to shoot it!

Dustin Cantrell

Well-Known Fanatic
So I finally got this CZ Tactical Sport in my hands today. Brought it home and cleaned and lubed it. Changed out the mainspring and recoil springs to both 13 lbs. Put in a stainless guide rod. Tried to put in the extended firing pin and lighter firing pin spring but they sent me the wrong firing pin. Once I get the correct extended firing pin I can probably go to a 11.5 lb mainspring and still get reliable ignition. There wasn't much overtravel in the trigger but I did adjust out most of the pretravel.

I used my caveman method to measure trigger pull. I put water in a gallon jug and loop paracord around the handle and over the trigger. I change amounts of water in the jug until it has the least amount of water that will pull the trigger. I then weighed the jug and got 28 ounces, but I suspect the paracord dragging on the checkered grips might add an ounce or two of needed force. 1.75 lb trigger isn't too bad. Feels great. One of these days I'll get a digital trigger pull gauge. The trigger might lighten just a touch once it breaks in and if I can get reliable ignition with the 11.5 lb mainspring I'll probably be at 1.25-1.5 lbs.

I took it out and put 150 or so rounds through it. First I checked the sights. I wasn't in a good spot to use a rest and really shoot for groups, but I determined they were close enough.

I suck at shooting fast. I put out a 6" swinging steel plate at about 12 yards or so from where I was shooting and shot a short video. I couldn't go too fast because I had to wait for the plate to stop swinging enough so I could shoot it again. I like the way she shoots. We'll see how I do in the USPSA match in the morning!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCTpPd3wDxk&feature=youtu.be

Dustin Cantrell

Well-Known Fanatic
I also suck at photography.

img2383e.jpg

img2385ls.jpg

Dustin Cantrell

Well-Known Fanatic
Got these mags to a reloadable 21 rounds. They did just fit 20 with the extensions but I did some tweaking. Put 500 or so rounds through it so far and am very pleased. Tweaked it a bit more and have a total trigger pull of only .15" and just a touch over 1.5 lbs. I'm very pleased with it.

Latest posts