CZ P-01 vs Smith 6906

w321shark

Well-Known Fanatic
I've been playing around with the idea of getting a new carry gun. Not looking for a cheap gun. Just something that meets these requirements.

- hammer fired
- 9mm
- double stack at least 12 rounds
- all steel or alloy frame (bound to cause some controversy haha)
- light weight and as small as possible with still holding at least 12 rounds

Love both guns just can't decide cz just seems like it might be too big for me. And I'm a huge Smith & Wesson fan. Don't try and talk me into a Glock or 1911 I carry a full size kimber when possible. Thanks!!!!

fordnut

Well-Known Fanatic
Sir: I just have 2 words for you.....Browning Highpower.

I know it is 1911 style, and, it only holds 13...but, cocked and locked is 14...and, you can't beat it...

But, that is just my idea...Your milage may very....

Steve

w321shark

Well-Known Fanatic
I do love the nostalgia of carrying a Hi Power. And I have shot plenty but I feel for what I need it's just too long. And in the summer when I'm much more active and might occasionally trip or who knows what in my summer shenanigans carrying single action slightly scares me haha I know it's totally safe I just have this mental block about it. In the winter no problem.

Dayman

Well-Known Fanatic
I have a CZ P-01 and I absolutely love this gun. It is my primary carry when hunting so I have only open carried it. You may also want to look at the CZ-75 compact. Same gun from my understanding - the front rail. If you find your self in the upstate any time soon your more than welcome to check mine out. Sorry I can't speak for the S&W but no doubt the CZ P-01 is a fantastic gun.

HarperJt

Well-Known Fanatic
I have the CZ75 and it's become one of my favorite range guns. but as for carring conciled, it's a little big. My Church gun is a Kahr.

Sorry I couldn't be much help,
Jeff

w321shark

Well-Known Fanatic
I prefer the rail because i would like to have the option to carry with my tlr1 attached. ive been making my own kydex holsters for myself friends and family for some time now so finding a holster wouldn't be an issue. i also would like to use the same gun i buy as my main home defense weapon. im a big advocate of using the same weapon for all defense needs. that way you dont screw your self up switching between triggers. how does the weight feel if you had to compare it to something else? like whats the weight feel like when carrying?

I actually have a kahr cw45 but i gave it to my step brother when he moved to Charleston. he didnt have a weapon for home defense. i love the kahr trigger if i could i would have that trigger in every gun i own. if kahr made the mk9 in a double stack this post wouldnt exist haha

Dayman

Well-Known Fanatic
I do not have much carry experience so it would be hard for me to compare. I can say open carry using a fobus holster I have done several 2 hour hikes plus 1 hour treks up step terrain (and i mean crazy step) to deer stands with out any issues. Most of the time almost forgot I was carrying and had to check to make sure i didn't leave it in the truck. I used to carry a s&w model 13 in the field and the weight reduction between those two is huge. From the bench comparing the weight of my smith and wesson shield 9 mm vs. CZ P-01. the CZ is much more balanced over all and even with a full mag I can only tell a little difference, the ergonomics are fantastic. The only thing i don't like is the trigger, to be honest it sucks. Has a lot of slack to the point of impact and requires a fair amount of pull. I hear there are fixes for the trigger though and i have come accustom to mine and it is a tack driver. The sights are not the best and really dim (they use some glow paint junk activated by sunlight). I plan on replacing with some night sights asap. I have honestly though as buying another to modify if the right deal comes along. Good luck in what ever your decision, I have a CZ and will never let it go, I can not speak for the Smith and Wesson 6906.

w321shark

Well-Known Fanatic
Great info thanks a lot I really think I am leaning towards the cz. NATO stock number and the rigorous test it was put through speak volumes about the gun. Also just noticed your always sunny picture and I actually just bought an awesome nightman cometh t shirt.

Cano

Well-Known Fanatic
I love the cz p01,
Only thing i wasnt very fond of was the coating on it. It scratched off easily for me anyways.

Johnnyb

Well-Known Fanatic
Had a 6906 a few years ago that wouldn't cycle with +p, not sure if this was an issue with the whole line or just my individual pistol. Never had an issue with any other ammo.

deeHKman

Well-Known Fanatic
CZ P01 would be my choice over the two by far. I carry a HK45c most days but my P30s 9mm fits the same holster a Milt Sparks VMII. CZ does make some great guns. Col. Jeff Cooper who was mainly a .45 guy chose the CZ-75 over the BHP for many good reasons. if you like google all about the comparison. Congrats on your new .45!! What ever carry gun we choose is just purely up to a individual. Has to be reliable and the rest is easy ......good belt and holster is a must at least for me ...

w321shark

Well-Known Fanatic
Yeah the m&p has been great so far. Had to get used to the trigger and had to sand off the textured section right under the trigger guard where your middle finger rests. But other then that it's great. I liked it so much the next week I went and bought a m&p 9mm pro series. Came with the core style back straps. Thought that was interesting. Also I got the 45c in flat dark earth don't know if I mentioned that. It looks great.

Latest posts