Cutting down mosin nagant barrel and threading it

aestus

Well-Known Fanatic
Was thinking about cutting down a project mosin nagant 91/30 rifle down to 16" and threading it with a 11mm left hand twist for an AK type muzzle brake. I would normally just do this myself, but found that the proper tools to cut, crown, thread, ect are more than buying 2 additional mosins, rofl.

Alternatively, I was just going to cut the barrel down to 16", polish the muzzle, but not crown it or thread it. Instead I was just going to put on the cheap slip on muzzle brakes for m44's with the set screws and just silver solder it permanently on.

Thoughts?

How much would this cost if I paid someone?

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
Cutting the barrel to a smaller thread diameter would require a lathe. A pipe threader could be used to cut the threads for free, it you have access to one, but the threads would be best cut also on a lathe. I think if you knew how to remove the barrel you could have a machine shop do the work fairly cheap, or find out who works behind the counter at H&H that doesn't constantly **** things up and let them do it. There are some good metalworkers back there.

it would cost more than the rifle did.

if youre going to play around with a mosin, who cares about the proper tools?, bust out the hacksaw, get a file to square it up and get a threading die.

Corey

Well-Known Fanatic
This semester I took a night machine shop class I made an alignment tool for 1inch & 30 mm scope rings. I made 1 . 223 comp and have started on another. 223 & 308 comp. I have thought about taking the old mosin nagant there to shorten the barrel but we are fixing to get into cnc part and I am hoping to engrave the receivers as well as the end of the comps.

Aestus you might check your local Votech and see what classes are available for $160 I have had a lot of fun

aestus

Well-Known Fanatic
This semester I took a night machine shop class I made an alignment tool for 1inch & 30 mm scope rings. I made 1 . 223 comp and have started on another. 223 & 308 comp. I have thought about taking the old mosin nagant there to shorten the barrel but we are fixing to get into cnc part and I am hoping to engrave the receivers as well as the end of the comps.

Aestus you might check your local Votech and see what classes are available for $160 I have had a lot of fun

Hmmmm... that sounds really fun. This is relevant to my interests....

MoBoost

New Fanatic
I got the tools to crown and thread the barrel - I would highly recommend finding a rifle that was already bubbarized, shoot, I got three to choose from if you need a project. I know that 91/30s are dime a dozen, but all I'm saying there a plenty reasonably priced "sporters" out there not to destroy another intact C&R.

aestus

Well-Known Fanatic
I have 2 mosins. One is a 1932 hex receiver in awesome condition with an excellent bore and even has the brass tips on the top wooden hardguard. This is one I plan to keep stock.

The one I'm going to bubba out is a beat up 1942 tula with a very rough bore. It's a round receiver and it's rough all over. There are rough tooling marks everywhere and if you apply too much leftward pressure on the bolt when closing it, it hangs up somewhere and won't close due to the rough tooling marks. This is the one I'm going to chop up into a 16" fire spittin' mosin carbine.

I've already knocked out the whole rear sight assembly and installed a long eye relief 3-9x scope in a scout type position on the 11mm rail that's under the rear sight block.

Just to give you an idea, this is what I'm wanting to do with my mosin, except imagine it with a forward mounted scout scope....

pre_1318715912__mosin_carbine-s.jpg

Mitch Rapp

Well-Known Fanatic
I like the looks of that one, so good luck on your build.

Except, I didn't think you could legally own a flamethrower?

Latest posts