"crushed recoil spring"

weapontrainer

Fanatic
Okay experts, I'm stumped! Colt's Stainless Gov't XSE, carried with standard Federal HST. Wilson standard weight recoil spring, brand new out of the package. No shock buff. I fired the quarterly carried standard velocity HST (24 rounds ) followed by some American Eagle 230 gr FMJ (100 rounds) All fired without malfunction, and with no indication that anything was wrong! Field stripped the pistol and found the recoil spring "crushed" at the barrel link end. The coils were definitely a shorter interval then the recoil plug end. Unfortunately, I replaced the spring with another new one from my kit and one of my co-instructors seeing the wrecked spring, threw it away. ( or I'd post pic's )
Any ideas? Bad tempering in the Wilson spring? ( I have ten "kits" Shok Buffs and springs )
Been carrying a Glock 21SF since, for fear of hurting my purty Colt's.

weapontrainer

Fanatic
Sound a like a bad spring to me. I prefer Wolf springs over Wilson as I have had short service life from Wilson's springs.
Perhaps I should try Wolf.....I bought a batch of Wilson's based upon reputation Thank you very much
j

weapontrainer

Fanatic
Was it a variable or progressive spring?
No, it was the Spring form the Wilson's Spring Kits marketed a few years ago. It was a spring with six Shok Buff's in a polyethylene package.
I bought a batch of them based upon Wilson's reputation.
Thank you
j

weapontrainer

Fanatic
Some springs are manufactured "flat" on one end to seat fully in the spring plug. The other end is "open", meaning it doesn't fold back upon itself.

Is that the "crushed" you are speaking of?

I"ll see if I have a new one made like that and get a photo posted.

Z
Yes the remaining springs (kits) are Flat closed on one end and Open on the other.
They were marketed a few years ago by Wilson's in a poly pack with their Shok-Buff's.
The spring was crushed at the portion that butts up against barrel locking link arm.
It was new prior to that range outing.
My thought, is to ditch all of the springs and Shok-Buff's as I am sure they came from the same lot.
I was told here to try Wolf and may just do that.
Thank you
j

Last edited:

ZoidMeister

Well-Known Fanatic
Yes the remaining springs (kits) are Flat closed on one end and Open on the other.
They were marketed a few years ago by Wilson's in a poly pack with their Shok-Buff's.
The spring was crushed at the portion that butts up against barrel locking link arm.
It was new prior to that range outing.
My thought, is to ditch all of the springs and Shok-Buff's as I am sure they came form the same lot.
I was told here to try Wolf and may just do that.
Thank you
j

The way you say "CRUSHED" makes it sound like the spring is defective or damaged. Far from that. They are manufactured that way intentionally. Wilson is NOT the only company making recoil springs with a closed end.

If you feel like "pitching" them, let me send you my mailing address. I'll pay the postage . . . . . . .

weapontrainer

Fanatic
Yes I did (always) install the closed end, toward the breach face. Man I wished my bud, didn't toss the old spring. The last inch or inch and 1/2 of the end of the spring, installed closest to the breech, had coils laying against each other and coils with a closer interval then the open end, as if the spring was over compressed.

ZoidMeister

Well-Known Fanatic
Yes I did (always) install the closed end, toward the breach face. Man I wished my bud, didn't toss the old spring. The last inch or inch and 1/2 of the end of the spring, installed closest to the breech, had coils laying against each other and coils with a closer interval then the open end, as if the spring was over compressed.

Yeah, that sounds crushed. I got a better visual from that description.

weapontrainer

Fanatic
Yes I think that is good advise. I bought them years ago, laying in "consumable" parts, to always have them on hand. They were packaged with Wilson's Shok-Buffs. ( of which people have varying opinions of )
All of them were in sealed packages.... Too bad. I'll take the advice offered here and replace the spring(s) with Wolf.
Thank you
j

45 Ralph

Well-Known Fanatic
I replaced the my spring on my Colt Combat Commander XSE with a Wilson 20 pound spring and schok-buff. Have put 400 rounds through it with no issues yet. A lot smoother recoil with the combo also. That's my experience so far.

weapontrainer

Fanatic
I replaced the my spring on my Colt Combat Commander XSE with a Wilson 20 pound spring and schok-buff. Have put 400 rounds through it with no issues yet. A lot smoother recoil with the combo also. That's my experience so far.
Okay great! Good! I'll give it a try with the buff. We've recently transitioned to the 230 gr. +P and I seriously don't want to hurt the pistol.

Latest posts