cross dominant eye

dammechanic

Well-Known Fanatic
The purpose of this is to help cross eye dominant shooters make a decision and give them a path with a time frame so they know what kind of commitment will be needed if you chose the same path as me.
I found out what being cross eye dominant was shortly after I started shooting and that I was plagued with this condition. I read several different opinions on how to deal with this from learning to shoot with your weak hand or holding your head at a funny angle or just angling the pistol in your strong hand so that it lines up in front of your dominant eye. Also from what I read it’s generally accepted that you transition faster and do better with both eyes open. I wanted to shoot multi-gun which dictated my solution had to work with the shotgun and rifle. After looking at different guns I came to the conclusion that this is a right handed world and I didn’t need to handicap myself any more than necessary. I read that some people have trained themselves to shoot with their non-dominant eye but no real guidance could be found on how to achieve this goal. So knowing that it could be done I set out to become a right handed right eye shooter.
I sometimes wear corrective lens or contacts so my first attempt was to leave out my left contact hoping that my right eye would take over. After five days the results were severe headaches, dizziness and blurred vision. Next was the eye patch. Wearing it around the house, during dry fire and shooting. This lasted about two days I just did not like the pirate look or the loss of peripheral vision. Next was a single piece of translucent tape placed vertically in the center of the left lens of my safety glasses. This worked my peripheral vision was acceptable and allowed both eyes to work together
I started out by drawing, acquiring the target and dry-firing. I did this for ten minutes per day using a timer so not to cheat myself on the time. This initial period was tough for me, ten minutes seemed to take forever and felt more like punishment rather than practice for my new found hobby. At first I had a hard time trying not to focus on the tape while forcing my right eye to align the sights. An interesting observation is that I would subconsciously revert back to my left eye by turning my head so that I could look around the tape. After about eight plus sessions I was consistent enough that I started transitioning from target to target and magazine changes. I used a .22LR pistol to keep live fire affordable and went to the range as much as possible to get actual trigger time. I even shot one pistol match with tape over my lens, just be careful go slow to compensate for your reduced vision.
After about twenty sessions of dry fire practice I was able to remove the tape from my lens. A quick blink of my left eye was all that was needed to switch focus to my right eye or to make sure that I was using my right eye. Sometimes I would experience double vision when transitioning between targets but again just a quick blink of my left eye would bring the sight picture back into focus. At this point I started using the TV. The back ground movement would make it challenging to keep focus with my right.
After thirty sessions of dry fire practice the need to blink to maintain focus had been greatly diminished. After six months, three USPSA matches, three multi-gun matches, one pro-am, three thousand rounds of.22LR and a weekend at TDSA I would say that I was 95% converted to right hand right eye shooting . By the end of 2012 or about 11months all that was needed was merely raising my pistol to engage the targets.
2013 I shot two matches in January and did not make another appearance until October. I was I little nervous and very rusty so I shot the first stage slow and deliberately. After seeing all my hits were good I decided to go full speed. The next two stages were pathetic missing a fifth of my shots. I put a card board target paster in the center of my left lens problem solved. I’m speculating that my left eye would align the front sight in front of the target and my right eye would focus on the rear sight and my mind would put it together so that I thought I had a good sight picture. I’ve shot a few matches since then and I would say I’m about 98% so it did not take much time or effort to regain control of my non-dominant eye. If you decide to go this way I’m guessing you will have to practice on a monthly base to maintain this ability and like so many things if you don’t use it you will lose it.

slemmo

Well-Known Fanatic
I never had the dedication, so when shooting pistol I just use a target focus all the time, just as I would when shooting rifle and shotgun. My problem is having equally dominant eyes, so when focusing on the front sight I see twice the amount of targets, and choosing which ones to shoot is impossible since they are all equally clear.

foghorn918

Consistently Inconsistent
slemmo said:
I never had the dedication, so when shooting pistol I just use a target focus all the time, just as I would when shooting rifle and shotgun. My problem is having equally dominant eyes, so when focusing on the front sight I see twice the amount of targets, and choosing which ones to shoot is impossible since they are all equally clear.
That's what I see too. Focus on the front sight, I see two targets; focus on the target, I see two front sights. I opted to go with diffuser similar to scotch tape on the left lens.

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
Steve McGinley said:
That's what I see too. Focus on the front sight, I see two targets; focus on the target, I see two front sights. I opted to go with diffuser similar to scotch tape on the left lens.
Are you cross dominant Steve?

foghorn918

Consistently Inconsistent
Are you cross dominant Steve?
I'm not truly ambidextrious, just screwed up. I do some things left handed, others right handed. When I do something new, I ususally try left and right and go with what felt natural.

zombiegirl

Well-Known Fanatic
Great info.....................I'm left handed.....right eye dominant.....shoot right handed and my eyes are dual----they can switch on me lol!!

dammechanic

Well-Known Fanatic
All it takes is just ten minutes a day. This could easily be done during commercials of your favorite tv series or during the nightly news.

I am right-handed, left eye dominant; left eye is nearsighted, right eye is farsighted…I have always just shut my non-dominant eye and do fine for non-competition purposes (except I've always used my non-dominant eye with a scope, because it doesn't seem to matter). I am wanting to get in to 3 gun this year and am trying to figure out if I should learn to shoot shotgun left-handed or if I should get some sort of velcro peel away eye patch when transitioning from one gun to the next. I feel very comfortable shooting a shotgun right-handed but when I've tried to shoot one left-handed I feel like one of those women on the viral Biden video! I've tried training my non-dominant eye with the tape on the lens…I do good as long as the tape is there but as soon as the tape is gone I go right back to my dominant eye, so I have to squint. To give you a perspective of what I see If I leave both eyes open when shooting pistol, I see 2 front sights (the left is centered in the rear sights and a front sight to the right) and 2 very blurry targets (the left being the actual target). I would love to hear suggestions!

Serenity

Fanatic
I have a right eye astigmatism so I'm interested as well. I swear many of the female shooters I know are cross-eyed dominant.

RevoShooter

Well-Known Fanatic
Meshell, have you tried focusing on the targets instead of the sights? I don't know if it's proper or not, but I bring the targets into focus and put my gun in the way of my eyes. I can see my sights lined up, slightly out of focus but it seems to be quite accurate and I shoot both eyes open alright that way. It's weird to explain, but I do the opposite of what you're currently seeing. Focused target with the sights being how I describe it as "in the way" of focusing on the target.

1911-45

Well-Known Fanatic
Good for you Shone! I am wearing my patch as I type. I was the opposite my whole life I shot long guns and pool left handed but right eye/hand dominant. So summer of 2010 I said I would break the habit and start shooting right handed so I could keep both eyes open. I started shooting NRA high Power since it was a slow moving sport. 2011 I shot my first 3 gun and every other stage I would grab and shoot long guns LH. but now I don't unless the COF requires it or I can game it that way. My two sons are left eye dominant but RH. Right now they shoot long guns left handed ( I have to enforce that) but just started shooting pistols and right now they shoot 1/2 LH 1/2 RH until we can figure out which sport they want to shoot and which is more accurate for them.We are working on it. My oldest son was having problems reading last year and found out he had eye convergence? which he had to go to physical therapy for 3 months and $3K and I did homework with him and learned allot about the eyes myself. I still do some of the eye exercises. It is always good if you can shoot both ways (in shooting sports)

charger arms

Ask Me About My Cocker Spaniels
My mrs can't figure out which eye to shoot with. We think she is left eye dominant, She sights a bow better left handed but can't get near the draw weight LH, so we shoot it right. Last year, she kept her left eye open when shooting her first buck and it shanked the arrow so far right, it hit the deer in the ass at 15 yards. We are trying to figure out how to shoot the shotgun and rifle. She is ok with the scope when she closes one eye, but we both need practice.

zombiegirl

Well-Known Fanatic
By best bud is right handed and left eye dominant. She shoots skeet left handed, but everything else right handed. I would say over half of the women I meet are cross eye dominant :)

RevoShooter said:
Meshell, have you tried focusing on the targets instead of the sights? I don't know if it's proper or not, but I bring the targets into focus and put my gun in the way of my eyes. I can see my sights lined up, slightly out of focus but it seems to be quite accurate and I shoot both eyes open alright that way. It's weird to explain, but I do the opposite of what you're currently seeing. Focused target with the sights being how I describe it as "in the way" of focusing on the target.

I might try that... I'm so used to looking at my front sight though it might be awkward at first...I don't know if the way my dominant eye is nearsighted and non dominant is farsighted if there's any hope for me to shoot pistol with both eyes open and I've decided to just train myself to shoot shotty left handed. ..I will try any suggestions! :):):)

RevoShooter

Well-Known Fanatic
Heh. Yeah, my explanation as to how it works for me may not be the best worded. I just tried a bunch of things until I could get a decent sight picture both eyes open and then practiced it the way the seemed best until it felt more natural than squinting an eye. Hope you can figure it out or find someone who's more apt to explain it better for ya! Lol

Latest posts