Crimping rounds for a bolt action rifle?

dennishoddy

Its not always necessary. I do in my 30-06 Browning Stainless stalker. Its magazine fed, and I noticed the tips of the soft points were getting deformed as recoil caused them to hit the front of the mag. I was concerned about possible set back, so a light crimp is used. did back off the load a couple of grains, and went back to where I was at previously as the crimp can bring the pressure up a little. I didn't see any signs, and it shot the same. That was back in the 80's. I still shoot the same load, and same powder to this day. If your not seeing anything like that, as the .243 doesn't recoil as hard, I probably wouldn't worry about crimping.
Prove it to yourself by putting a pencil mark around the neck of the case on the bullet. Put it as the last round in your mag. Shoot all the others. If the pencil mark is still there, crimping won't be necessary

OUshooter

Well-Known Fanatic
I crimp everything. Even my bolt gun rounds. Its a pretty light crimp, but its just a bit of free insurance. You can never anticipate all situations you will encounter and there's no drawbacks so the real question is why wouldn't you crimp.

dennishoddy

There are new dies out now for centerfire that are designed for taper crimp only. I saw them today while browsing a Cabella's shooting catalog.
I didn't pay much attention to them, but I might read up on them to see what calibers, etc they are designed for.
I would also speculate that if one were shooting ballistic tipped bullets, that would absorb some of the abuse in the mag.

oldglock

Well-Known Fanatic
Never have crimped any loads for bolt gun 223 through 375 H&H. Only problem has been suffering through battered soft points if fother rounds are in magazine.
Solution is to only single load at bench. Extra rounds in magazine whose tips have been flattened while actually hunting can be used as bore foulers after cleaning.
Actually tip flattening if probably not going to be an issue on a .243 and even if some tips are flattened there is probably no meaningful change in accuracy out to 200 yds or so.
This seems preferable to deforming the jacket by crimping, which can't help accuracy.

shootingbuff

Well-Known Fanatic
I prefer at least a light crimp and try for a tight neck. I don't want bad things to happen either with set back or having the bullet moving fwd.

Mostly I feel a little resistance makes for a better burn and no I have no data., just makes sense to me.

I always use the thumb test on everything that is mag feed (box or tube)

Many of your reloading manuals will give direction on reloading. Most do things their own way for thier reasons. Near full or compressed loads might keep a bullet from having set back where a faster powder may allow set back.

Look at what you are doing and experiment with accuracy, vel, and OAL as Dennis has stated then come to your own conclusions. Don't forget to post your results here.

luck

WinchesterModel12

Active Fanatic
I use a Lee Factory crimp die for almost everything. I give it a light crimp for rifle rounds and rotate the round a few times and crimp it again, it gives a nice even crimp in all places which means a nice even release which leads to more accuracy.

Boxerglocker

Active Fanatic
I never crimp .223 bolt action rounds after testing with several bullets. I have found that consitent neck tension is the key for acccuracy. I use new Lapua .223 match brass and neck size only with a Lee colect dies with the mandrel polished down for 0.002 neck tension, after form firing using cheap bullets.

Latest posts