Couple of questions on Leupold VX-6 Multigun...

PaulHelmuth

New Fanatic
Howdy All,

This is my first post here. I'm a long-time avid Cowboy Action Shooter. I have always wanted to give the modern 3-gun game a try. So, getting some gear together.

I decided on a Leupold VX-6 Multigun with CMR2 illuminated reticle (#120447) for my rifle optic.

Leupold describes the illumination as daylight bright. However, I find it washes out even in overcast conditions. Anyone else have same or different experience with this? Everything but the illumination seems really nice (as I would expect from Leupold).

Also, can anyone with the Leupold Multigun confirm the correct MGM Switch View lever number? (1655SV?)

Thanks!
-Paul

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
PaulHelmuth said:
Howdy All,

This is my first post here. I'm a long-time avid Cowboy Action Shooter. I have always wanted to give the modern 3-gun game a try. So, getting some gear together.

I decided on a Leupold VX-6 Multigun with CMR2 illuminated reticle (#120447) for my rifle optic.

Leupold describes the illumination as daylight bright. However, I find it washes out even in overcast conditions. Anyone else have same or different experience with this? Everything but the illumination seems really nice (as I would expect from Leupold).

Also, can anyone with the Leupold Multigun confirm the correct MGM Switch View lever number? (1655SV?)

Thanks!
-Paul
The illumination in my new Leupold VX-6 multi-Gun Firedot is not red dot bright. It's more of a strong glow.

Call MGM about the switch view numbers.

bgbr

New Fanatic
Jesse,
Have you had a chance to give the vx-6 a workout yet. I watched your initial review on you tube about it.
Trying to decide on 1-6 scope. Stryke eagle, Burris 1-5, vortex hd 1-6, or the vx-6 1-6.
Thinking about buy once and that's it.
I have the mtac 1-4, glass I think is great, but the circle retical is not what I want now, I want cross hairs.

slemmo

Well-Known Fanatic
I tried the Strike Eagle a while ago, I'm impressed with what they've been able to make at that price, even though it's not near the Z6i or Zeiss V8 it's completely usable.

AKjosh12

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm also looking into the leupold multigun CMR2 reticle. Does anynone know someone that is willing to sell theirs or a place to find a good price? I'm just starting to gear up for 3 gun and want to try some local matches this spring/summer. The only one I can find is in Birchwood... Not a lot of options unless traveling I guess.

I know the new VX6 HD's are out but that's a ton of cash and momma (wife) will kill me.

The firedot multigun is cheaper but the lines seem thick from the picture provided.

Any tips or help is greatly appreciated.

Push

Fanatic
Joe Frechette said:
Is the Vortex actually $300-500 better then the Leopold? If it isn't then he could regret it.
Yes, it is. Razor HD is amazing. Having that super bright dot makes for a very fast shooting scope.

AKjosh12

Well-Known Fanatic
Can't bring myself to go vortex, have looked at their prices and yes they are AWESOME. But I will hands down support American business over imports any time. I have the Mark AR with SPR firedot currently and it is plenty bright. Honestly love it, but would like to be more versatile and up my game a little.

I think the multigun will be plenty bright.

My main takeaway with upgrading is the true 1- 6x and a better reticle.

What are some different drills you guys use to improve your game with variable optics? Currently i have some home made steels (Super Heavy) that I lug to the range and spread them at various distances/spacing and double tap them.

Main problem I run into is people at the range at times (prevents moving and prepping for shots/stress and breathing control exercises)

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
AKjosh12 said:
Can't bring myself to go vortex, have looked at their prices and yes they are AWESOME. But I will hands down support American business over imports any time.
Not sure where you got that from but here's a little about Vortex.

And now ... just a little “About Us”

Since 1986 we have been and remain an American Owned, Veteran Owned, Family owned and operated business of hard-working folks located here in south central Wisconsin.

Dan and Margie Hamilton, the original and current owners, moved to Middleton, WI in 1986 and started a small outdoor retail store. The business was started on the belief that if you focused on the customers and helped them achieve their goals with fast, friendly, personalized service that the bottom line would take care of itself. The business grew and evolved over time and in 2002 Vortex Optics was established. Starting with Dan and Margie and now over 200 American team members strong, we work diligently day in and day out to give you the best products and service in the optics industry.

All of our products are designed, engineered, pre-inspected and serviced in our modern facility to ensure you receive the best products and service for your hard earned dollar. We have dealers located throughout the US, Canada, United Kingdom, Europe, South Africa, Australia and elsewhere. We attend all major trade shows in the hunting, tactical and birding/observation markets.

We're open Monday through Friday and are on call to serve your needs.

AKjosh12

Well-Known Fanatic
All of our products are designed, engineered, pre-inspected and serviced in our modern facility to ensure you receive the best products and service for your hard earned dollar. We have dealers located throughout the US, Canada, United Kingdom, Europe, South Africa, Australia and elsewhere. We attend all major trade shows in the hunting, tactical and birding/observation markets.

We're open Monday through Friday and are on call to serve your needs.[/quote]

AKjosh12

Well-Known Fanatic
Thanks for the reply, I'm not trying to be that guy. Like I said, the prices are great for the product. I have read a lot of great reviews on Vortex and the VIP Warranty program. I have even suggested some of my co-workers to buy your products and they did.

The facts are the optics are manufactured outside the US. (Imports)
Razor HD II- Japan
Viper- Philippines
Strike Eagle- China

I understand that the Hub of your business is in Wisconsin. I wish you guys continued sucess in your business.

*Push posted a comment to get the Razor HD Vs the Leupold which I appreciate and I gave my thoughts on his or her suggestion.

We won't always agree on products but in the end, we all enjoy shooting and having a good time.

PeteMcGuire1881

Well-Known Fanatic
I think you will find that there are no US optics manufacturers that have 100% American made optics. Leupold even states on their website that "Some of these sources are located domestically, some are European, and some are Asian. Leupold has acquired its lenses this way for over 50 years."

I truly appreciate and salute your choice of using American made products. Good luck in that endeavor as you will not find one optics manufacturer that produces 100% Made in the USA quality products. If you do, let me know as I'll be one of the first to buy.

Enjoy and shoot straight!

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
AKjosh12 said:
Thanks for the reply, I'm not trying to be that guy. Like I said, the prices are great for the product. I have read a lot of great reviews on Vortex and the VIP Warranty program. I have even suggested some of my co-workers to buy your products and they did.

The facts are the optics are manufactured outside the US. (Imports)
Razor HD II- Japan
Viper- Philippines
Strike Eagle- China

I understand that the Hub of your business is in Wisconsin. I wish you guys continued sucess in your business.

*Push posted a comment to get the Razor HD Vs the Leupold which I appreciate and I gave my thoughts on his or her suggestion.

We won't always agree on products but in the end, we all enjoy shooting and having a good time.
I don't work for Vortex, I just copied that from their website. I'm just a dude that likes to shoot just like yourself. I read your post and it struck me as odd because I was pretty certain that vortex is an American company. So I figured I'd look for it to spread the knowledge. I think just like posted above if you research a little more you'll find what he's saying to be correct.

Push

Fanatic
No affikiation with Vortex, I love their products and appreciate their support of 3 gun matches.

PeteMcGuire1881

Well-Known Fanatic
What did you get? You can't leave us in suspense like that! Inquiring minds want to know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AKjosh12

Well-Known Fanatic
Got the Mark 6 for a few hundred more than the new multigun. ($1,600.00) with free shipping. It's used, talked with the seller and it looks brand new. He called it his safe baby, only put around 100 rounds through it.

Excited to try the first focal plane optic vs the second on my Mark AR. I'll post some pics and let you guys know how it works if anyone is interested?

Also read and watched some reviews of nasty things done to this optic without effecting it's zero. (No I will not try to replicate these i'm not rich)

*With Leupolds lifetime Guarentee I'm confident it will be a solid optic that I can put on my boys rifle build when and if he wants it some day.