Contacts or Prescription Glasses?

Feegee

The Magic Man
I was wondering which would be better for shooting, and what everyone prefers?

Sent from Feegee's iPhone using Tapatalk

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Now that I have astigmatism correction contacts they are great. I rarely wear my prescription glasses anymore.

Feegee

The Magic Man
Sorry,Guess I should have searched the forum before asking. Sometimes I forget about that option.

Sent from Feegee's iPhone using Tapatalk

KurtM

Well-Known Fanatic
Sigh...dust, dry eyes, slow down eye movement= stage just sucked. Ask. Yourself if your contacts work in those conditions. We are shooting, not in a beauty contest.

KurtM

Well-Known Fanatic
Yep...my young eyes! I guess when I get old I will understand. How old do you guys think I am? When you are done guessing let my wife know so she doesn't level me for a younger man.

KurtM

Well-Known Fanatic
Didn't we just go through this on a different thread? My mom says I'm great at iron sights on my airsoft!

benjamin-benjamin

snickerpuss
yeah i have thought about getting my eyes lazered!! but wearing contacts for me is really not a big deal, i put them in and then a month later throw them away (i NEVER take them out). Also (even though i know it is small) the thought of having issues with my eyes due to the surgery is scary to me, no amount of money would make up for having issues with my sight..

Jefpainthorse

Fill in the Blank
the giant problem is... when you get just between. My reading lenses are set up for reading and desktop... a pistol sight or front sight on a rifle is just to far away for the lens.

I do contacts- and for whatever reason my brain and eyes cannot figure out the typical "bifocal" arrangement my Doctor tried. With the contacts in- I have trouble with most front sights...

So that leaves glasses... some folks get a bifocal for the front sight set about 3mm higher than normal ground on the dom eyes's lens. If your bifocals are progressive... getting your head tilted right will throw your posture off way to much to make those practical. The lens grinder will follow the order and move the correction up on the lense to what the doc measured.

So---planned shooting. I wear my usual prescription safety glasses...

Future plans... get a pair of shooting glasses for use in concert with contacts (right eye corrected for front sights).

I CC/OC...thank goodness I can still shoot OK at 7 yards or so.... if I ever got in a rifle battle, I'd have to take a "time out" to change glasses or just shoot at the noises. LOL

Tharpinator

Well-Known Fanatic
I hear ya, heck I was worried too. I'm useless without my eyes in my line of work. Truth is its a reeeeeally safe procedure, and if I had to do it again I would in a heartbeat.

n8thegr8

Fanatic
I can't wear contacts for more than about 4 hours at a time. My eyes are really dry and after a couple hours the contacts feel like gravel. Might get laser surgery in a few years when I'm making the medium bucks...

Jefpainthorse

Fill in the Blank
I need to find an eye doctor that shoots.

That's the thing. some will if you ask. I went to a guy in Edmond who would (gun guy himself) The Doc i use in Reno offered... "bring you gun in next time and I can fix you right up.

I have heard a few people have take a slide in or whatever just to allay fears of having a "whole gun" in the room.

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
the giant problem is... when you get just between. My reading lenses are set up for reading and desktop... a pistol sight or front sight on a rifle is just to far away for the lens.

I do contacts- and for whatever reason my brain and eyes cannot figure out the typical "bifocal" arrangement my Doctor tried. With the contacts in- I have trouble with most front sights...

So that leaves glasses... some folks get a bifocal for the front sight set about 3mm higher than normal ground on the dom eyes's lens. If your bifocals are progressive... getting your head tilted right will throw your posture off way to much to make those practical. The lens grinder will follow the order and move the correction up on the lense to what the doc measured.

So---planned shooting. I wear my usual prescription safety glasses...

Future plans... get a pair of shooting glasses for use in concert with contacts (right eye corrected for front sights).

I CC/OC...thank goodness I can still shoot OK at 7 yards or so.... if I ever got in a rifle battle, I'd have to take a "time out" to change glasses or just shoot at the noises. LOL

Jeff ask your doctor about "mono vision" contacts. Distance in one eye, reading correction in the other. Your brain will figure it out.

foghorn918

Consistently Inconsistent
I go to the eye doc today. I'm going to visit with him about lens options for shooting. Apparently being able to see the front bump clearly is important :)