Competition Glock

1OKshooter

Well-Known Fanatic
If you had bought a factory Glock for IPSC shooting what are some changes you would make to it to make it a better competition gun for lets say limited.

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
ISMI guide rod w/ 13lbs or 15lbs recoil spring, aftermarket sights with a narrow front blade (Dawson, etc.), 3.5lbs connector, extended mag release. Stippling, too.

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
Melting the plastic of the frame to form a roughly textured surface, which will help your sweaty hands hold onto the gun. You drop it in a match, your match is over.

OUshooter

Well-Known Fanatic
Stippling is an enhancement of the factory texture.

Recoil spring weight is kind of a case by case basis. Your loads on a timer with different springs running a Bill Drill. That will probably tell you what you need to know.

I can't recommend Dawson Precision sights enough.

Also throw in a big fat mag well, and an after market ejector housing so you can adjust your trigger overtravel.

A ZenWorks spring kit is also a must along with some internal polishing of bearing surfaces.

Don't forget the Ghost Rocket connector, by itself it is a nice upgrade from stock.

Later on you may decide to add some lightening cuts to the slide and change your recoil spring again.

If you get really wild and crazy you can have Accurate Iron undercut your trigger guard.

1OKshooter

Well-Known Fanatic

Recoil spring weight is kind of a case by case basis. Your loads on a timer with different springs running a Bill Drill. That will probably tell you what you need to know.

Also throw in a big fat mag well, and an after market ejector housing so you can adjust your trigger overtravel.

A ZenWorks spring kit is also a must along with some internal polishing of bearing surfaces.

Later on you may decide to add some lightening cuts to the slide and change your recoil spring again.

Don't forget the Ghost Rocket connector, by itself it is a nice upgrade from stock.

I have a ghost maker 2.5 lb trigger kit ordered the mag well is in the future, but the ejector housing and lightening cuts are throwing me off, I am new to this and this is a learning experience for me. BTW who does the stippling ?

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
Ha, this is all you need:

G34Production3Gun.png

G17Open.jpg

Glock34-AccurateIronWork.jpg

G35LimitedGun.jpg

OUshooter

Well-Known Fanatic
I have a ghost maker 2.5 lb trigger kit ordered the mag well is in the future, but the ejector housing and lightening cuts are throwing me off, I am new to this and this is a learning experience for me. BTW who does the stippling ?

I'm pretty regular at the Oklahoma City Gun Club match the 1st Sat of the month. Send me a pm and I will gladly let you fondle my lady, and run some ammo through it.

Or if you want to just meet one day at the range you can run it a bit.

argyle64

Well-Known Fanatic
Just get a Gen4 and you don't have to worry about stippling. I have had Gen2 and Gen3 Glocks. The Gen4 sticks in my hand like velcro. You can still do everything else the other guys have mentioned to the Gen4.

shootingbuff

Well-Known Fanatic
Simple - pretty much what folks have stated - guide rod and recoil spring, sights, and trigger work. I have no need for stippling and a mag well is a crutch ;) Oh mag extensions, but not really needed to get started as is anything listed.

technetium-99m

Mighty Righty
It sounds like you want to be able to appropriately compete in Limited division.  Your gun is a 40 cal right?

Don't spend 100's of dollars on a 9mm that won't be competitive in Limited.  If your gun is a 9mm shoot it in production if you want to be competitive.  If you have a 9mm and are set on Limited don't make any modifications to the gun that aren't production legal so you can go back to production as your skill increases and you aren't stuck with a nice 9mm that isn't Production legal or competitive in Limited.

Check the USPSA rulebook for authorized modifications, remember that all modifications are prohibited unless specifically authorized.

Ksmirk

Well-Known Fanatic
You can do all sorts of things but shoot production if it's a 9mm if it's a 40SW just shoot it and you'll get a good idea on what you really NEED but I would say what you need more than anything would just be ammo and put it downrange and maybe a couple extra mags, good holster and mag pouches.

I don't know of many folks that are on this site that will not let you try out thier guns so if you see something out at a match dude just strike up a conversation were all good guys and remember we all had to start somewhere. Later,

Kirk

argyle64

Well-Known Fanatic
I've noticed most of the people on here (minus Burk) are great people willing to help you out and try things to see what works.

Latest posts