Commander size barrel preference.

In a Commander size 1911, which do you prefer?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
Hi all, probably the wrong place to ask this but I still do not know how to start a thread. Guess I'll have to ask Miss LD to help me do it.

My question is which commander size, or for that matter full size 9mm 1911, would you all suggest. Thinking about trying one out, and I would love your input. I'd prefer to start out on the lower priced basic models, if that helps. I'm older, and a fixed income does not help matters a bunch.

Thank you all,

Bob Lee

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
My question is which commander size, or for that matter full size 9mm 1911, would you all suggest.
Bob, what is you plan for it?
CCW? Or just shooting fun?

As you know all 9 of mine are Colts, however I would have to sell one to buy one today.
What is you target price range?

9mm is looking better 2 this old fart as days go by, however that .45acp has it's hooks in me real deep

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
I never liked the idea of a Hardened Barrel slapping a Hardened slide, the bushing is the protection of both parts.
However...

As you know all 9 of mine are Colts, however I would have to sell one to buy one today.

9mm is looking better 2 this old fart as days go by, however that .45acp has it's hooks in me real deep
Mike, this is something I'd just use for the range. I have other9's that I have been known to carry. Two are the awful G word, and of course there is a BHP, or two. I finally got out to shoot with my Son, and Miss LD, for a time yesterday. Dragged out an old Springfield 45, and shot it for the first time in forever. It felt great, and I was happy with how I shot it. Not too bad for an old coot, who hasn't kept up with his shooting at all. I'd not be adverse to a basic Springfield, and I have thought of a RIA. The Tisas is appealing, for what you would pay, also, the Charles Daly looks interesting to. I get an itch from time to time, but will most likely stick to the Hi Power, with an occasional nod in the direction of the G19, or the G17.

Thank you very much for your response, I appreciate it.

Bob

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
Dang Bob you have a world of 1911s to choose from.
https://www.pewpewtactical.com/best-1911-pistols/
Mike,

If I decide to go this route, I'm leaning toward RIA, or possibly Tisas, unless I can get a screaming deal on a Springfield, lol. I have no problem with buying used, most of my stuff has been pre owned. I'll probably stick close to GI spec as far as that goes. If I don't, I'd consider a a Ruger for sure, or again, or a Springfield. I did notice a Kimber on gun broker for a somewhat decent price, but the two I've owned in the past, were a big disappointment. I really like Ruger products, but right now out of my price range. I may have to wait a while longer to get what I want, but as everything else, prices keep escalating daily. Why is it that when we want something, or at least in my case, everyone else seems to want it at the same stinkin time? Lol. I did just win an auction for a heavy barrel Model 10-8 Smith with a round butt for a good price. Just waiting for UPS to get it to my dealer. They missed him yesterday, but didn't leave a notice they were there. Supposedly out for delivery again today. We shall see how that turns out. Thank you for your input. I appreciate it.

Bob

Gunflint1

Well-Known Fanatic
Mike,

If I decide to go this route, I'm leaning toward RIA, or possibly Tisas, unless I can get a screaming deal on a Springfield, lol. I have no problem with buying used, most of my stuff has been pre owned. I'll probably stick close to GI spec as far as that goes. If I don't, I'd consider a a Ruger for sure, or again, or a Springfield. I did notice a Kimber on gun broker for a somewhat decent price, but the two I've owned in the past, were a big disappointment. I really like Ruger products, but right now out of my price range. I may have to wait a while longer to get what I want, but as everything else, prices keep escalating daily. Why is it that when we want something, or at least in my case, everyone else seems to want it at the same stinkin time? Lol. I did just win an auction for a heavy barrel Model 10-8 Smith with a round butt for a good price. Just waiting for UPS to get it to my dealer. They missed him yesterday, but didn't leave a notice they were there. Supposedly out for delivery again today. We shall see how that turns out. Thank you for your input. I appreciate it.

Bob
Myself, I leaned towards a made in the USA model's. They can always be tuned, and you have something when your finished. All but one of my 1911's are USA Commander's, a little more comfortable if you want to carry.

Gunflint1

Well-Known Fanatic

Mike, I know what you mean about old fart. I'm down to four 1911's. Les , Colt , Sig, and an old Smith. Have a collection of 9MM, But always find myself carrying a 1911 45.

Pierre

Well-Known Fanatic
Hi all, probably the wrong place to ask this but I still do not know how to start a thread. Guess I'll have to ask Miss LD to help me do it.

My question is which commander size, or for that matter full size 9mm 1911, would you all suggest. Thinking about trying one out, and I would love your input. I'd prefer to start out on the lower priced basic models, if that helps. I'm older, and a fixed income does not help matters a bunch.

Thank you all,

Bob Lee
I'll start the firefight...for 45 I prefer the 5" 1911 platform for 9mm cannot beat the Hi-Power...love them both. That's my 2 cents...

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
Well, though I'm late to the discussion, doesn't mean I don't have an opinion.
I've been a 1911 owner / fan since the late 70's..starting with a Gold Cup.
Shortly thereafter, it was a Springfield next, 'cause when I had Terry Tussey fix the front sight on my GC ( after it fell off)
I asked him what other brand of 1911 he'd suggest , to build into a custom, tailored-to-me pistol. Colt wasn't impressing me at the time.
He said "Springfield" ..
Why ? "They put all the holes in the right place" was his answer.
Had him do a trigger job, add adjustable sights, then hard chrome the frame & slide. Still own & love the pistol.

I've owned a number of other brands of 1911s ( I like variety) Several Colts, S/As,& DWs, a Sig, A Para, a couple RIAs,
an Am. Classic, but the best deal I think I ever bought was a recent purchase.. I've mentioned it several times here, it is the Israeli made,
all SS, Bul Commander, in 9mm.

My Springfield Loaded Target (9mm) was my favorite 9mm, enough so that I paid a nice fee to have my gunsmith checker the front strap,
& machine the top of the slide, flat. The Bul is a serious contender for Fav.. & I've done NOTHING to it..
Great features & workmanship for a bargain price, IMO..comes with front strap checkering!
No trigger job, no sight change.. I did put a drop of white paint on the front site blade.

Though the Bull has a bull barrel (no bushing) it's a little more work to disassemble. Figure out how to bend a paper clip & you're golden..
Disassembly is now easy-peasy. My RIA CS ( officer model-size) was my 1st bull barrel / no bushing 1911.
I'm convinced it's much greater- than- expected accuracy is a result of the bull barrel design.

Bull barrel 1911's lock up tighter than bushing barrel 1911's.. UNLESS the barrel bushing has been fit to both the slide & barrel for a snug fit..
This doesn't happen unless you fit it yourself, or pay to have this done, or buy a higher end 1911
Unless a 1911 is a custom build, you won't find that degree of snugness in a factory barrel bushing..
( in my experience / according to my gunsmith) as it takes time / hand work for snug fitting.

I recently saw a Bul 9mm Cmdr. 9mm ( just like mine) FS on a local forum for $800.00. !
Considered buying it , just because it was a great deal..in my opinion.

I challenge anyone to find a better made / featured 1911 in 9mm than a Bul... that's my opinion.

mm1911

Well-Known Fanatic
Buls are excellent, my 5" is a bull barrel and now it's legal in IDPA in case I ever shoot another sanctioned match but agree on the disassembly, much rather take down a bushing barrel, hard to see that little hole the paper clip tool goes in unless I use a headlamp

Latest posts