Colt Colt MKIV Officers ACP

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Hello & Welcome. What caliber is it?

comedy central guns GIF by The Daily Show with Trevor Noah

switchback

Well-Known Fanatic
I have the egw recoil set up, will need to get pics up later today, it includes recoil rod, flatwire spring and spring plug that shoulders most of the stress on rear of dust cover as opposed to the little tab , as per oem. Small oem tab it still utilized in addition to full contact dust cover bearing and no length need removed from dust cover for install. It is the most recent offering from EGW. And without a doubt the best improvement of recoil assembly for COACP. Let me know if you can use

Last edited:

switchback

Well-Known Fanatic
Here are the parts referenced above for Colt Officer model. OP, if you can use them, PM me and we can work something out I'm sure. These are new in package and I even found a barrel bushing. The officers is smoother and stronger with these installed. Rather than perhaps 500 rounds with a Wolff replacement spring, this flatwire setup is reported to function up to 10 or even 15k rounds!!
either reply here or PM me and lets get these in your Officer model. I'm sure most here will vouche or my integrity

Attachments

• 20211212_173152.jpg
    20211212_173152.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 12

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Rather than perhaps 500 rounds with a Wolff replacement spring, this flatwire setup is reported to function up to 10 or even 15k rounds!!
Should we use the flat wire recoil springs in our 1911s?

switchback

Well-Known Fanatic
I've never used it in my gov't 1911s, it requires a different guide rod that is a smaller diameter due to flatwire spring inner diameter. Wilson Combat offers the spring and guide rod at a very good price, IMO. I'd be interersted to hear your opinion, Mike if you should decide to run flatwire in a 1911.
That said, a gov't 1911 recoil spring lasts a good long time, unlike the officers which are impossible to locate a replacement double spring ( the oem setup) and in my experience the wolff single spring recoil setup is gone after 4- 500 rounds. So this flatwire setup is perfect for officers acp. Another benefit is a much more robust spring plug with a bearing surface completely aroung dust cover as well as the the oe tab. Much beefier setup.

Neal

New Fanatic
Should we use the flat wire recoil springs in our 1911s?
I am not saying you should, but I have changed out the
recoil springs and factory installed guide rods for full length
.250" diameter guide rods and flat wire springs in all my 1911 style guns.
3 Govt. length and 3 Commander length. Makes me much more
confident in the reliability of my guns. Years ago I had a recoil
spring kink during a string of fire with my Wilson KZ 45. It locked
up the slide part way open. Changed
to a full length guide rod and it never happened again.
My experience with flat vs round wire springs in Glocks
many years ago showed me the superiority of the flat wire.

OldMan

New Fanatic
Here are the parts referenced above for Colt Officer model. OP, if you can use them, PM me and we can work something out I'm sure. These are new in package and I even found a barrel bushing. The officers is smoother and stronger with these installed. Rather than perhaps 500 rounds with a Wolff replacement spring, this flatwire setup is reported to function up to 10 or even 15k rounds!!
either reply here or PM me and lets get these in your Officer model. I'm sure most here will vouche or my integrity
Switchback, your parts appear blue but my Officers 1911 is stainless. Can you confirm.

switchback

Well-Known Fanatic
oldman, been working alot. Reason for my late response, sorry. Yes the recoil plug and barrel bushing are indeed blued

OldMan

New Fanatic
oldman, been working alot. Reason for my late response, sorry. Yes the recoil plug and barrel bushing are indeed blued
Switchback, thanks for the update. I'd like to keep it all stainless if possible. PM me. I tried to pm you earlier but it didn't seem to work for me.

Gunflint1

Well-Known Fanatic
other than the potentially fragile oem recoil assembly and perhaps a barrel bushing, I would leave the oacp in your picture alone.
My 70 series satin nickel Officers model looks just like that one, and still looks new. Bought it back in the 70's for $250, wife at the time just about killed me because it was so expensive. Had to chose between her and the Colt, well I still have the Colt. Had some trigger work done, but nothing else. Still shoots like a new one.