Colt Government Special Combat input

Jrabbit771

Well-Known Fanatic
I scored a unfired, new in the box Colt Government Special Combat 1911 .45 ACP. I actually scored 2 of them. I couldn't pass them up due to the price. I could only bring one home with me, and paying on the other one.

The one I brought home has a Blued slide, and a Stain Nickel frame. The Target that came with it has a date of 2002 on it...So I'm guessing it's around a 10 year old gun. Model# 01980CM. It has the adjustable ROBAR rear sight. I will admit, I'm not very knowledgable with Colt firearms. I tend to follow SA 1911's more. But I've been researching Colts here lately...We all know how that goes....Typical Colt lobStill deciding if I should keep this or sell it and get a TRP....Or keep it and still get a TRP.

Any of you guys have any experience with the Government Special Combat? Any parts you recommend changing out? Just trying to get a little input or user experiences on this 1911..I have no experience with Colt. . (sorry I can't post a picture. I'm on my IPad) ...I can send some pics via text message if interested.)

Thanks

HI Jeremy,

Biggest questions, assuming its going to be a shooter; is the colt checkered, is the colt in a condition ergonomically to be able to pick it up and go shooting, and not annoy you in some way? Colts good stuff; their triggers arent set up super nice, but the bones are there,. A trp might be a quicker, easier path to shooting comfort and results. Also check the mainspring housing; it may be polymer/plastic,.
The trp is more likely to be set up ready to go, and is on the average, nominally more accurate, mechanical wise.

Jrabbit771

Well-Known Fanatic
Yeah it's in perfect condition to shoot...I'm new to the 1911 game and trying to get up to par....I think in 2000 they got away from the polymer/plastic internal parts. (They started upgrading due to Kimber doing very well) ....I'll double check. I'm pretty sure that's what I read last night....I think there is only 2-3 MIM parts. Firing pin safety being one of them(I think that's the right terminology)

I don't really care for the ROBAR sight. The black on black makes it tough. The front sight plays games on my eye since its black too. A tritium front sight would be a easy change. I don't have anything to compare the slide fit to. There is a little room, not super tight, which I've read is okay and a very debatable subject. Being Colt designed the 1911 a little loose. The maker said the barrel and barrel bushing fit was more important. I read that Colt was called the "Rattler" in it's early days (not in a bad way).

In my opinion, a $3000 dollar 1911 shouldn't require 500 rounds of bullets down it for a break in. It wasn't designed that way to start with. But, its intended use varies a lot now. Competition 1911s would probably want the tight fit for the extra accuracy. Most of what I just stated came from the Colt creator hisself. I was reading it last night. But please correct me or express your opinion on the matter. I'm still trying to get on par with these addictive pieces of art.

a tight fitting slide frame isnt an necessity as far as accuracy. its not a debatable subject between folks that really know how a 1911 works and whats needed for function and accuracy. its usually challenged because the perception of most people as to what a nice 1911 looks and feels like. I will say it can be indicative of the quality of the builder maker that made it. Thats because its how most good 1911s are "suppoed" to feel like. The ones I build are tight, sure, but the rest of the gun is built properly,namely the barrel fit and movement, so it can operate properly within the tight slide frame tolerances. tactically, and action pistol type game usefullness, tight slides are way overrated. If you see a relatively loose slide to frame fit 1911 that shoots inaccurately, you can bet its not the slide frame fit thats the real culprit.

the rear sight is a bomar, not robar, and paired w a nice FO front sight, its the most popular setup for competition. if competitions not your game, you can get a fixed sight for that rear slide cut.

Jrabbit771

Well-Known Fanatic
I meant bomar.....I have no idea why I put romar....haha...thanks for the info....Pretty much the exact same thing I was reading about. If you work on 1911's , what would you charge me to break it down and inspect everything?

Jrabbit771

Well-Known Fanatic
While I'm at it....I found another another colt I was thinking of getting, it's a commander...."Colt Royal Blue" ..It's a Talo series. it Comes in a wooden display box and they only made 400 of them....I can't remember the model #... I was thinking really hard about getting it since it was a special edition...It's a very sharp 1911. .It's new in the box. It would be a safe queen, but I was thinking about getting it for a collection/investment type thing that I could hand over to my kids someday. It's priced at 1,499 ....You familiar with this Colt by chance?

technetium-99m

Mighty Righty
Shoot the gun before you change things. Then shoot other 1911's with the changes you want to make if you can before you make them. You can get fixed rear sights that fit bomar cuts if that's the direction you want to go.

Jefpainthorse

Fill in the Blank
those Talo guns probably wont be worth too much more than what you pay for them for YEARS.

Colt in general... They were using a plastic MSH and plastic trigger as early as the early 90's..maybe sooner and for a duty gun or self defense gun they WORK.

Most of the accuracy in a 1911 comes from how well the lugs lock the barrel into the slide at battery... and how close the bushing brings the front of the barrel, slide to the same place every time things cycle. Colt generally delivers a bone stock gun that works and is as accurate as most of us can shoot one for general usage.

If your buying a gun that's got ambi safties, front strap checkering, fancy grips, slide serations front and back...your paying for that stuff... the fitting is what it is.

In my experience factory Colts are shooters out of the box... feild strip. get the grease out and re lubricate it... run some ball ammo in it and check it out....... mine have all smoothed right out after some break in.

If your going to own one ...learn to dis assemble it

Jrabbit771

Well-Known Fanatic
That's the thing.. I'm a FFL dealer, and wasn't wanting to shoot it until I'm 100% I want to keep it. Predictive text put Stain nickel frame.. Supposed to say Satin Nickel. More then likely I'll keep it.. Thanks for the help guys

talo isnt a factory edition or anything exclusive; its the distributor group that does the customizing, or orders them. Like lew horton did w sw revos. IMo, most talo stuff is borderline tacky, some decent.

I offer a reliability tuning package for 1911's for $175; its very time consuming and basically go over everything. Shoot me a mssg if you want more info.

D

DurningDefenseCustomsLLC

slide to frame fit 5%
barrel fit 30%
barrel selection 10%
trigger job 25%
sights 15%
ammo 15%

thats is a good way to look at accuracy, the rest is human factors crap.

Latest posts